Re: California here we come!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by shabby, Apr 18, 2004.

  1. shabby

    shabby Guest

    Hello everyone, my wife and I are planning a trip to California from
    Toronto, Canada this Sept. We are looking for as much help as we can. We
    are planning to land in San Francisco and spend one night there, maybe
    do some Marin County muniing. I am a begginner/intermediate-whatever
    that means-rider, I like short technical stuff, not much into the long
    epic rides yet but love to explore new stuff (by the way my wife does
    not ride but she is a trooper and comes hiking with me when I muni). We
    then plan to rent a car and travel to Yosemite and spend a couple of
    nights sight seeing and hiking there. Then on to LA. This is where we
    need some help. We are looking for some good hiking/muniing/sight seeing
    stuff to do on the way to LA. We have not yet planned a route. Also,
    when we do get to LA, aside from all the touristy stuff, we would like
    to do some more muniing/hiking around the area.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Wayne.

    --
    shabby
    shabby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/865

  2. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    I don't have the dates yet, because I'm waiting for more info. on biking
    events at Northstar but the California Mountain Unicycle Weekend will be
    in September in the Lake Tahoe area.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
    www.unicycling.com

    "Hey, could I have some of that spinach? I need to get this pork rind
    taste out of my mouth." -- Ryan Atkins to Kris Holm, on the way back
    from Moab after sampling some of my pork rinds. They grossed out the
    whole van!

  3. shabby

    shabby Guest

    Thanks John, I did not know that the CMUW was in September. I would
    really appreciate it if you could let me know as soon as is convenient
    for you what the dates are and where the event will take place (flights
    are getting booked up fast). Depending on when it is we might land in
    either LA and maybe fly/drive to Reno/Tahoe airport for the event or
    land in Reno/Tahoe airport and fly/drive to LA. Of course we would still
    like to fit in Yosemite somewhere in there.

    Thanks again John, look forward to hearing from you further,

    Wayne.

    --

  4. shabby wrote:
    > *Thanks John, I did not know that the CMUW was in September. I would
    > really appreciate it if you could let me know as soon as is convenient
    > for you what the dates are and where the event will take place
    > (flights are getting booked up fast). Depending on when it is we might
    > land in either LA and maybe fly/drive to Reno/Tahoe airport for the
    > event or land in Reno/Tahoe airport and fly/drive to LA. Of course we
    > would still like to fit in Yosemite somewhere in there.
    >
    > Thanks again John, look forward to hearing from you further,
    >
    > Wayne. *

    La to Tahoe is a
    loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong
    drive (not that I'm one to talk, Sf to moab. 17 hours!)! Honestly,
    that's what airplanes and helis are for.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

  5. mango

    mango Guest

    There are a few of us down here in San Diego. If you feel like going a
    little farther south we'd love to muni with you. I dont know what
    everyone will be doing in Sept but im sure at least a couple of us will
    still be around.

    Shoot me an email sometime and i can also give you the other guys' email
    addresses.:)

    -erik Bustin_the_Mango (at) hotmail . com

    --
    mango - unity - as 1 stand together

    "I know I'd be willing to spend up to $20 for a set of strong nipples."
    -andrew_carter

    (sorry buddy, couldnt resist =)

    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  6. velarpinch

    velarpinch Guest

    I'm about to take my Coker out to Big Sycamore Canyon, an 8-mile
    walking/biking trail running through the Santa Monica Mountains between
    Newberry Park and the Pacific Ocean. I'll let you know how it is, and
    I'd be delighted to go with y'all.

    -Joel

    --
    velarpinch - no less than one scab per ride
    velarpinch's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1634

  7. shabby

    shabby Guest

    Hey John, do I understand you currectly in that the event will be in or
    around Northstar, which if I see currectly is at the north part of Lake
    Tahoe.

    Mango, thanks for the invite that sounds terrific. Right now we would
    like to come down to San Diego but we are not sure how we will do things
    until we get some dates for the Cali Muni weekend.

    Joel, that sounds good. Is that trail pretty close to LA? We plan on
    spending most of our time, not including travel time between cities in
    and around LA. I am sure there are plenty of trails to ride for someone
    of my modest eastern Canadian riding experience, but if you don't know
    where to start it can waste alot of time.

    Thanks all, Wayne.

    --
    shabby
    shabby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/865

  8. myocardial

    myocardial Guest

    Hi Wayne,

    If you want to add Santa Barbara to your itenerary we'd be happy to show
    you around the trails here. Late afternoons and/or weekends work best
    for us. There are a few pictures @ <http://www.sbuni.org/gallery/> In
    case you don't already know SB is about 1-1.5 hours north of LA
    depending on where in LA and what time of the day (in regards to driving
    that is). If you plan on adding a night make sure to book soon cause it
    fills up pretty fast for that time of year. Of course if it's the same
    weekend as CMUW, we won't be here :)

    matt

    --
    myocardial - I fell into a burning ring of fire.

    Matt Wilhelm
    Illustrated One Wheeler
    Santa Barbara Unicycle Club
    [email protected]
    <http://www.sbuni.org>
    myocardial's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3468

  9. nathan

    nathan Guest

    Weekends in Sept are usually taken up with some event or other, but if
    you're passing through the South Bay area during the week and have time
    for an evening ride (Coker or Muni) let me know. Los Gatos is about 1
    hour south of San Francisco by car and we have some nice rides we can do
    from my house. nathan at movaris.com

    ---Nathan

    --
    nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
    nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

  10. shabby

    shabby Guest

    Hey Matt, Nathan, thanks so much for the invites. I look forward to some
    amazing riding in Cali. The problem right now is that we are waiting to
    see when the CMUW is going to be so that we can check fligts and book
    time off work. Also, CMUV will determine where we fly into and where we
    leave. So, all that will determine where I can ride. We are both looking
    forward to this trip and hope to see you all in September.

    Wayne.