Re: Carbon Fiber Seat Stays = Better Ride?

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:40:29 -0500, James Spencer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>This conversation has really gotten absurd on all sides. Certainly the idea
>that an inflated tire acts to insulate the rider from road vibration is
>nonsense

LOL! Why do you suppose the pneumatic tyre was invented in the first
place?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

jim beam wrote:
> my point is that the
> theory that a tire completely insulates the rider from any & all
> perception of road surface is "incomplete". the balloon test
> demonstrates that.

Noone is claiming that "a tire completely insulates the rider from any &
all perception of road surface." I'm not sure where you got that.

The claim is this: The tire insulates the rider from perception of road
surface *far more* than steel/aluminum/carbon fiber rear triangle.
Differences in the stiff components are claimed to be a drop in the
proverbial bucket.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Sandy wrote:
> [email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

>> As Mark Hickey mentions in another post, this was proven by one bike
>> magazine's writers a few years ago. When a blind test of similar
>> frames was set up, the same "experts" that had been so perceptive of
>> ride qualities in so many road tests simply could not tell what they
>> were riding!

> So, what may have been measurable on non-human equipment didn't find a
> confirmation when in actual use ? I'm not very surprised. You almost
> go out of your way to prove the opposite of your point.

"What may have been measurable" may not have been measurable. If you had
evidence that the difference *were* measurable, you'd have an argument.
But we don't know.

And the bottom line is still this: if riders can't tell the difference
in a blind test, the difference is not worth pursuing or arguing.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

Dans le message de news:[email protected],
dvt <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> Sandy wrote:
>> [email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a
>> déclaré :

>>> As Mark Hickey mentions in another post, this was proven by one bike
>>> magazine's writers a few years ago. When a blind test of similar
>>> frames was set up, the same "experts" that had been so perceptive of
>>> ride qualities in so many road tests simply could not tell what they
>>> were riding!

>> So, what may have been measurable on non-human equipment didn't find
>> a confirmation when in actual use ? I'm not very surprised. You
>> almost go out of your way to prove the opposite of your point.

> "What may have been measurable" may not have been measurable.

Golly, you have a strange way of using a keyboard to say nothing.

> If you
> had evidence that the difference *were* measurable, you'd have an
> argument. But we don't know.

I am really worried that the cycling publications you read don't do
measurements. I have made references to French journals that do that ;
Dutch ones do ; German ones do ; English ones do. They are measurable and
measured. For a very striking example, the very current issue of Le Cycle
compares two frames (all other parts being exactly the same) manufactured by
Seven, in titanium, two different alloys. The *measured* results differ,
significantly. When you have done your reading, I hope you will have
something useful to say.

> And the bottom line is still this: if riders can't tell the difference
> in a blind test, the difference is not worth pursuing or arguing.

But they do, and all the time. Or do you just buy the cheapest bike
available, put on your favorite tires, tubes and saddle, and feel smug that
you have cheated the rest of us ?
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

;
> Dutch ones do ; German ones do ; English ones do. They are

measurable and
> measured. For a very striking example, the very current issue of Le

Cycle
> compares two frames (all other parts being exactly the same)

manufactured by
> Seven, in titanium, two different alloys. The *measured* results

differ,
> significantly. When you have done your reading, I hope you will have

> something useful to say.

The last time you posted measurements, you gave data on _lateral_
deflection, not vertical deflection. This was patiently explained to
you.

Again, there's more to it than just giving numbers; you need to give
correct, applicable numbers. If you're talking about ride quality
regarding rough roads, absorbing vibration, etc, then the numbers will
have to measure vertical deflection. Lateral deflection is not
pertinent.

> > And the bottom line is still this: if riders can't tell the

difference
> > in a blind test, the difference is not worth pursuing or arguing.

> But they do, and all the time.

Oh? Riders tell the difference in rough-road ride quality in blind
tests "all the time"?

Please, give us a citation! In the tests I've read in American and
British magazines, the type of bike was never hidden from the tester.
The test was not blind.

The _one_ exception, where a magazine did set up a blind test, showed
the expert riders were absolutely incapable of detecting the touted
"differences."

So: I await your citations on blind tests. (I hope they're in
English, but I suppose there are ways of translating if they're not.)

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
>The _one_ exception, where a magazine did set up a blind test, showed
>the expert riders were absolutely incapable of detecting the touted
>"differences."

Do you have a referance for this article? I would love to see this.

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
[email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

> The last time you posted measurements, you gave data on _lateral_
> deflection, not vertical deflection. This was patiently explained to
> you.

So ? Your condescension is noted, with a wry smile, sonny. But misplaced.
You are happy to accept that there is damping in lateral deflection and not
vertical ? Interesting. Amplitude, frequency, decay ? Rationale ?

If you believe that lateral deflection bears not at all on ride quality,
please let the rest of the world know. If you believe that all bicycles are
subject only to perfect vertical deflection for all the time they are
ridden, also please let us know. If you submit that there is *no*
deflection in the vertical plane, for any and all types of materials used to
construct modern bicycles, please state that clearly. If you ride on a bike
made of drainpipes, please tell us.

The problem you face is that we folks who ride and do experience differences
in bicycles are capable of measuring (sensing, with appropriate receptors
all over the place) a good number of things that your crowd simply has not
yet figured out how to quantify to make you comprehend.

> Again, there's more to it than just giving numbers; you need to give
> correct, applicable numbers. If you're talking about ride quality
> regarding rough roads, absorbing vibration, etc, then the numbers will
> have to measure vertical deflection. Lateral deflection is not
> pertinent.

See above, silly boy.

--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

Sandy wrote:
> Dans le message de
> news:[email protected],
> [email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a

déclaré :

> > The last time you posted measurements, you gave data on _lateral_
> > deflection, not vertical deflection. This was patiently explained

> > you.

> So ? Your condescension is noted, with a wry smile, sonny.

:) I haven't been called "sonny" for many, many years. Interesting
experience!

Regarding condescension - I can tell this dialog is decaying into that,
as evidenced by your statement to dvt: "Golly, you have a strange way
of using a keyboard to say nothing."

But to let you know: Scientists, engineers and mathematicians can
sometimes lose patience with people who are confident that their own
lack of education is immaterial. Despite that, I'll try to be patient.

But misplaced.
> You are happy to accept that there is damping in lateral deflection

and not
> vertical ? Interesting. Amplitude, frequency, decay ? Rationale ?

Perhaps the problem is "ride" is poorly defined. Perhaps you are
speaking of a different aspect of "ride" than most of us are.
Personally, what I've been discussing is road vibration and road shock.
Those phenomena occur almost entirely in the vertical plane.

And yes, I do understand that amplitude, frequency and decay can be
completely different in different directions. If you don't understand
that, it's further evidence that you're not equipped to contribute
meaningfully to this discussion.

Grab a flat ruler or meter stick. Clamp it horizontally to a table,
letting its length protrude. Vibrate it vertically. Vibrate it
horizontally, if you can. You'll see that behavior can be completely
different in different directions.

> If you believe that lateral deflection bears not at all on ride

quality,
> please let the rest of the world know.

The effect of lateral deflection on _vertical_ ride quality - that is,
shock and vibration absorption - is negligible.

If you believe that all bicycles are
> subject only to perfect vertical deflection for all the time they are

> ridden, also please let us know.

No, I've never said that. In fact, I've described lateral deflection
in an Alan aluminum frame I rode. However, it's not pertinent to the
problem at hand, which is vertical.

If you submit that there is *no*
> deflection in the vertical plane, for any and all types of materials

used to
> construct modern bicycles, please state that clearly.

Such a man of absolutes! I submit there is _negligible_ vertical
deflection in the seatstays of a conventional bike, no matter what the
material is. And I'm quite capable of calculating such deflections.
For that matter, so are most of the students in our freshman-level
courses.

> The problem you face is that we folks who ride and do experience

differences
> in bicycles

?? As if the rest of us don't ride bicycles??

are capable of measuring (sensing, with appropriate receptors
> all over the place) a good number of things that your crowd simply

has not
> yet figured out how to quantify to make you comprehend.

:) Ah yes. And the proof will come in the reports of blind tests
that you will very soon provide. Correct? ;-)

Your faith is charming, but not convincing. Let's have those blind
test reports.

- Frank Krygowski

Dans le message de
news:[email protected],
[email protected] <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

> Regarding condescension - I can tell this dialog is decaying into
> that, as evidenced by your statement to dvt: "Golly, you have a
> strange way of using a keyboard to say nothing."

Read what was targeted, and you _should_ see the relevance. Has to do with
measurements, Mr. Engineer.

> But to let you know: Scientists, engineers and mathematicians can
> sometimes lose patience with people who are confident that their own
> lack of education is immaterial. Despite that, I'll try to be
> patient.

Your condescension is noted, with a wry smile, sonny. (Sorry to repeat
myself, little one.)

>> You are happy to accept that there is damping in lateral deflection
>> and not vertical ? Interesting. Amplitude, frequency, decay ?
>> Rationale ?

> Perhaps the problem is "ride" is poorly defined.

Mr Engineer needs writing assistance.

> Perhaps you are
> speaking of a different aspect of "ride" than most of us are.

Not in the least ! But I am paying attention to more than the isolated
issue you wish to beat to death. I really would like to know what you ride,
why you chose that, and what it's ride quality is.

> Personally, what I've been discussing is road vibration and road
> shock. Those phenomena occur almost entirely in the vertical plane.

I see - you don't ride.

> And yes, I do understand that amplitude, frequency and decay can be
> completely different in different directions. If you don't understand
> that, it's further evidence that you're not equipped to contribute
> meaningfully to this discussion.

Asking can be a contribution. Well, I asked, as you were not observing any
other aspect of "ride quality". I had to ask, to understand if you have
been on two wheels recently.

> Grab a flat ruler or meter stick. Clamp it horizontally to a table,
> letting its length protrude. Vibrate it vertically. Vibrate it
> horizontally, if you can. You'll see that behavior can be completely
> different in different directions.

What I may want to do with a ruler is my business. And I behave.

>> If you believe that lateral deflection bears not at all on ride
>> quality, please let the rest of the world know.

> The effect of lateral deflection on _vertical_ ride quality - that is,
> shock and vibration absorption - is negligible.

We are limited to being vertical all the time ? You sure about that ? You
ride curves that way ? Over 5 km/h ?

>> If you believe that all bicycles are
>> subject only to perfect vertical deflection for all the time they are
>> ridden, also please let us know.

> No, I've never said that. In fact, I've described lateral deflection
> in an Alan aluminum frame I rode. However, it's not pertinent to the
> problem at hand, which is vertical.

Chainstays or seatstays, or the uniforked versions of them, don't move ?
Have you thought about the torsion at the attachment point, where the
lateral flex occurs ? Is there no contribution to a vertical change ? Or
is it lateral like a fully compliant hinge ? And the seatstays ? the
bottom bracket. Is the answer that all that other stuff is "negligible"?

>> If you submit that there is *no*
>> deflection in the vertical plane, for any and all types of materials
>> used to construct modern bicycles, please state that clearly.

> Such a man of absolutes! I submit there is _negligible_ vertical
> deflection in the seatstays of a conventional bike, no matter what the
> material is. And I'm quite capable of calculating such deflections.
> For that matter, so are most of the students in our freshman-level
> courses.

We are talking about people measuring what they sense. When you hit a bump,
do you take out your (noted above) ruler first, to confirm that the
topography you just traversed has adequate variability to be categorized as
a bump, or are you happy with the "seat of the pants" (Oh, how much fun that
was !) recognition of the fact ?

>> The problem you face is that we folks who ride and do experience
>> differences in bicycles

> ?? As if the rest of us don't ride bicycles??

I am not really convinced that _you_ do.

>>are capable of measuring (sensing, with appropriate receptors
>> all over the place) a good number of things that your crowd simply
>> has not yet figured out how to quantify to make you comprehend.

> :) Ah yes. And the proof will come in the reports of blind tests
> that you will very soon provide. Correct? ;-)

Blind proves nothing, just as you attempt to state that negligible yet
measurable differences are phantom ones. Measurable and sensible. The
issue brought up, at the origin of this thread, was whether there are actual
differences in ride quality, and whether they are significant enough to
consider alternative rear triangle composition in the purchase of a bike.
Perhaps you forgot. Not just are they measureable (which I'll bet you will
give me). The opinion (not engineering fact) about the value of the
measurable difference is what was sought. It's fine if you want to say that
you think the measureable differences are not worth spending money, but to
effectively say that the materials exhibit no differences is the extreme
position I fairly criticize.

Please take you time to make me look like a buffoon, as I have tired of this
and plan to be out, riding, early. I won't say I'll miss our
counterpoint....

Does anyone else recall the spate of 'blind' frame tests that were all
the rage when Columbus and others started coming out with a wide
variety of steel tubesets?

I recall one particular test back in the mid 90's where a bike mag
commissioned Marinoni to build 6 identical bikes, one from each of the
Columbus tubesets available at the time. They were indistinguishable,
except for the one made from the Max tubeset.

A group of testers took turns riding each one, over and over, recording
their observations. Before the test, each tester just KNEW they'd be
able to distinguish the frames built from the better tubesets, and
those built from the cheaper ones.

Funny thing happened at the end. While they couldn't really
distinguish one tubeset from the other, and didn't necessarily agree on
the various ride qualities they thought they observed, they unanimously
agreed on their favorite all around pick for a best frameset.

Turns out it was made from the Thron tubeset, which at the time was the
least expensive, least 'exotic' tubeset used in the frames tested.

If you really want to spend a lot of money on carbon stays, go ahead.
It's your money. Or, you could get some 'carbon'-looking tape to wrap
around your existing bike's stays, and it'll ride just as nicely as the
new one would.

Scott wrote:
> Does anyone else recall the spate of 'blind' frame tests that were

all
> the rage when Columbus and others started coming out with a wide
> variety of steel tubesets?
>
> I recall one particular test back in the mid 90's where a bike mag
> commissioned Marinoni to build 6 identical bikes, one from each of

the
> Columbus tubesets available at the time. They were

indistinguishable,
> except for the one made from the Max tubeset.
>
> A group of testers took turns riding each one, over and over,

recording
> their observations. Before the test, each tester just KNEW they'd be
> able to distinguish the frames built from the better tubesets, and
> those built from the cheaper ones.
>
> Funny thing happened at the end. While they couldn't really
> distinguish one tubeset from the other, and didn't necessarily agree

on
> the various ride qualities they thought they observed, they

unanimously
> agreed on their favorite all around pick for a best frameset.
>
> Turns out it was made from the Thron tubeset, which at the time was

the
> least expensive, least 'exotic' tubeset used in the frames tested.

That's the one blind road test I recall. I don't seem to have the
article on file, though.

> If you really want to spend a lot of money on carbon stays, go ahead.
> It's your money. Or, you could get some 'carbon'-looking tape to

wrap
> around your existing bike's stays, and it'll ride just as nicely as

the
> new one would.

I like the idea of carbon-look tape!

In fact, one could perform some interesting acts of charity with such
stuff. I'm sure we could sneak strips of it onto the seatstays of at
least a couple posters. Once they discovered the tape, they'd
doubtlessly notice an improvement in ride! What could be more kind?
;-)

- Frank Krygowski

Just zis Guy wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:40:29 -0500, James Spencer
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> This conversation has really gotten absurd on all sides. Certainly the
>> idea that an inflated tire acts to insulate the rider from road
>> vibration is nonsense

> LOL! Why do you suppose the pneumatic tyre was invented in the first
> place?

I'm afraid you're only allowed to argue extremes here, Guy. If you're
claiming that a tire insulates the rider from vibration, you must claim
that it insulates from *all* vibration. Oh yeah, and you must also argue
that the vibration absorption of the frame is *exactly* zero, not merely
that it's small enough to be irrelevant.

--
Benjamin Lewis

Evelyn the dog, having undergone further modification, pondered the
significance of short-person behavior in pedal-depressed panchromatic
resonance and other highly ambient domains... "Arf", she said.

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

>Quoting James Spencer <[email protected]>:
>>This conversation has really gotten absurd on all sides. Certainly the idea
>>that an inflated tire acts to insulate the rider from road vibration is
>>nonsense

>Is it? Try a "bone shaker" ride on bare rims some time.

Dang - beat me to it. I suspect that test WOULD change his mind, as
soon as it stopped vibrating.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

pinnah <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>>The _one_ exception, where a magazine did set up a blind test, showed
>>the expert riders were absolutely incapable of detecting the touted
>>"differences."

>Do you have a referance for this article? I would love to see this.

It was in a mid 80's copy of 'Bicycle Guide', and was a revelation to
a lot of folks. Others popped another placebo in their mouth and
tossed it.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Sandy wrote:

>> The effect of lateral deflection on _vertical_ ride quality - that is,
>> shock and vibration absorption - is negligible.

> We are limited to being vertical all the time ? You sure about that ?
> You ride curves that way ? Over 5 km/h ?

Vertical from the frame of reference of the bicycle, not gravity -- i.e. in
the same frame of reference that the deflection of the bicycle frame was
measured in. To put it another way, the bicycle does not actually have to
be upright in order to measure "vertical deflection" of the frame.

--

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>It was in a mid 80's copy of 'Bicycle Guide', and was a revelation to
>a lot of folks. Others popped another placebo in their mouth and
>tossed it.

So, this blind test compared a variety of steel tubesets against,
lessee, other steel tubesets. How is that supposed to shed light on
the differences of frames of different materials.?

Thanks for the ref though. Would love to find it.

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> pinnah <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>>The _one_ exception, where a magazine did set up a blind test,
>>>showed the expert riders were absolutely incapable of detecting
>>>the touted "differences."

>>Do you have a referance for this article? I would love to see
>>this.

> It was in a mid 80's copy of 'Bicycle Guide', and was a revelation
> to a lot of folks. Others popped another placebo in their mouth
> and tossed it.
>
> Mark Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

Bicycle Guide was in my opinion the best magazine of its time and I
remember that article. All the bikes were painted red and the one that
was judged the best, if my memory serves me was made from the Aelle
tube set which was a welded tube, so way down the scale. What made me
happy was that I had just bought my a Cramerotti made with Aelle.

pinnah wrote:

> So, this blind test compared a variety of steel tubesets against,
> lessee, other steel tubesets. How is that supposed to shed light on
> the differences of frames of different materials.?

The reason we're mentioning that test is this: The magazine road
testers have _always_ authoritatively talked about ride quality,
including the smoothness of a bike's ride.

That magazine set up a blind test which proved their testers were
blowing smoke. They could _not_ detect what they claimed. That blind
test proved that the engineering calculations and measurements (showing
negligible differences) were correct. And thus, it proved the presence
of a strong placebo effect in evaluating frames.

The placebo effect remains. The engineering calculations and
measurements are the same as before. The claims from the road testers
are the same as before. The only difference is, before it was about
different types of steel. Now it's about steel and other materials.

- Frank Krygowski

Sandy wrote:
> Dans le message de news:[email protected],
> dvt <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
>> "What may have been measurable" may not have been measurable.

> Golly, you have a strange way of using a keyboard to say nothing.

Thanks. I was simply repeating what you said, which was also nothing.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu