Re: Carbon Fiber Seat Stays = Better Ride?

41 wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

> > Vibration at a basic level is just another form of energy and in

your
> > example it goes in at one end and comes out at the other.

Compression
> > involves p lastic deformation of the material and would be more

> properly
> > concidered absorption, the energy entering causes a molecule to

> change
> > shape, in effect storing the energy to be released as it returns to

> its
> > original shape.

> At a basic level, you are very confused. Energy is a property of

matter
> and vibration is a process in matter. Vibration is not "just another
> form of energy" although vibrating matter has some.

I was trying to over simplify.. I do agree with most of what you say,
but I don't know if it furthers the discussion or simply takes things
out on another tangent.. I also don't know of a better way to describe
it... it really is the structure of the material that accounts for the
effect.

[email protected] wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>
>>[email protected] wrote:
>>
>>>Faith is sometimes a wonderful thing. But I'm not sure that

> applies to
>
>>>faith in the latest techno-fashion. Give us numbers, Jim.
>>>

>>google "carbon fiber vibration absorption" = 95,300 hits.
>>
>>#1 = http://www.macqc.com/industrial.php
>>
>>if this is smoke, it's pretty damned pervasive smoke given some of

> the
>
>>absorption spectra i saw as an undergrad.
>>
>>bottom line, sure, i /could/ go out & rent the gear & do this stuff

> for
>
>>you, but frankly, i don't see why i should be the one with the burden

> of
>
>>proof when all /you/ need to do is make google your friend.

> Believe it or not, I've actually used Google before. That makes at
> least two of us, eh?
>
> But the number of hits on Google isn't the number I was looking for.
> After all, if you google "space alien abduction" you get about 174,000
> hits. Do you therefore figure space alien abductions are nearly twice
> as likely as carbon fiber vibration absorption?

i don't think vibration absorption "likely" - i've seen it tested in the
lab!

> As to why you should be the one with the burden of proof: ISTM that
> you're the one making claims contrary to most engineering principles.
> Those on the other side of this argument are saying a tube whose total
> axial compression is perhaps 0.001" can't have a detectable effect on
> ride quality, given that the deflection of the tire and saddle are at
> least 100 times bigger. Your extraordinary claims should require
> extraordinary proof.

yes, that tube compression calc stuff was a screw-up. i cut & pasted a
formula from a spreadsheet that was wrong! teach me not to cheat.

returning to the debate, "my" claims are not extroardinary, merely
statements of fact. read andrew's description of the factors that
influence vibration absorption in carbon composites. as for "tire &
saddle" stuff, again, it's wrong to confuse static with dynamic
properties. your hi fi is not the same switched off as it is working is
it? the static properties are identical in each state.

> We could be wrong. And perhaps the princess really could detect the
> pea through 20 mattresses. But I'd prefer some non-advertising
> evidence about that.

what is the velocity of the pea?

> Do you know of a blind test where riders could distinguish frames that
> were identical except for the carbon stays? Alternately, do you know
> of instrumented tests that clearly showed a significant difference?

can't say i've bothered to look because i have some familiarity with the
theory of the materials. you are right, quantification is a good
objective, but frankly, i doubt the value for this group as some of its
most vocal members will disregard any fact you care to present because
"it doesn't fit" their preconceptions, education be damned.

let me ask, have you ridden a bike that's been converted from a steel to
a carbon fork? [conversion of an existing bike eliminates all other
variables.] if you do that with a bike you own & love, you will be able
to differentiate a "before" & "after" of the carbon vibration
transmission quite easily. same for a carbon seat post.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> I'll buy that, but don't see how it's going to make any meaningful /
> significant / noticeable difference.

That I wont argue.. quantifying the difference is probably the job of a
lab.

> Bottom line is, in order for the
> above to work, there has to be at LEAST 1mm of "absorption" somewhere
> in the short, stiff seat stay, and I have to believe the actual
> compressability of the stay is at least an order of magnitude smaller
> than that. Even at 1mm, it would get lost in the MUCH larger
> "dendretic systems" (heh) of the saddle.

Sure there are a lot of issues that can have a much bigger difference,
but it is additive, kind of like insulation on your house, you can
always add more but at some point it isn't worth it anymore.

jim beam wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >

> > But the number of hits on Google isn't the number I was looking

for.
> > After all, if you google "space alien abduction" you get about

174,000
> > hits. Do you therefore figure space alien abductions are nearly

twice
> > as likely as carbon fiber vibration absorption?

> i don't think vibration absorption "likely" - i've seen it tested in

the
> lab!

On a bicycle? If so, give us the results! If not, you'll have to
clearly demonstrate that the situation is close enough to be
equivalent.

Here's a proposal for a simplified lab test: One vertical seatstay
tube of steel, versus one of carbon fiber. Use a shaker table or other
mechanism to vibrate the bottom. Mount an accelerometer at the top,
hook it to data acquisition equipment. Sound good so far?

But we're not done, and this is the critical part: Between the
vibrator and the tube, put a 1" diameter rubber tube inflated to 100
psi, to simulate the tire. And at the top, between the tube and the
accelerometer, put a bicycle seat. And put a 150 pound weight on the
seat. Now measure the difference in vibration amplitude at the seat's
top.

Of course, if you want to do a better job, you can find a way to model
the spokes, the seatpost, etc. Or hell, just mount a bike frame,
vibrate the botttom of the rear tire and measure the effect at the
saddle's top surface. Just don't forget the 150 pound weight on the
saddle.

> returning to the debate, "my" claims are not extroardinary, merely
> statements of fact.

Classic! IOW:
"Here's proof of my views: 'MY VIEWS ARE TRUE!' There! Guess I showed
you!"

read andrew's description of the factors that
> influence vibration absorption in carbon composites. as for "tire &
> saddle" stuff, again, it's wrong to confuse static with dynamic
> properties.

You'll need to explain that in much more detail. If there are specific
inertial effects you're imagining, you'll have to explain them. In
particular, you'll have to explain how they get attenuated by a stiff
carbon tube, but do not get attenuated by an air cushion (the tire) and
a sprung hammock (the saddle).

> > Do you know of a blind test where riders could distinguish frames

that
> > were identical except for the carbon stays? Alternately, do you

know
> > of instrumented tests that clearly showed a significant difference?

> can't say i've bothered to look...

Ah.

because i have some familiarity with the
> theory of the materials.

As do I.

you are right, quantification is a good
> objective, but frankly, i doubt the value for this group as some of

its
> most vocal members will disregard any fact you care to present...

Ah.

because
> "it doesn't fit" their preconceptions, education be damned.

Funny!

> let me ask, have you ridden a bike that's been converted from a steel

> a carbon fork? [conversion of an existing bike eliminates all other
> variables.] if you do that with a bike you own & love, you will be

able
> to differentiate a "before" & "after" of the carbon vibration
> transmission quite easily. same for a carbon seat post.

No, I haven't. A friend has. She says "Well, I _think_ it makes a
difference." And it probably does - but the difference she feels could
come from many factors besides the material difference. IOW, the
replacement fork is unlikely to be an exact match for her steel fork in
static stiffness, in rake (offset), in mass... and it's _certainly_ not
an exact match in appearance!

There's a POWERFUL placebo effect in everything related to cycling.
That's why heartfelt convictions aren't nearly as convincing as real
data, or as convincing as the results of physics-based calculations, or
as convincing as blind comparison tests. So far, all you've provided
are heartfelt convictions.

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> On 14 Apr 2005 22:55:41 -0700, "41" <[email protected]>

> >> The baseball itself is rather soggy:

> >This does not describe a soggy object, it describes a hard

viscoelastic
> >object. If it were soggy it wouldn't leave the bat after impact. In

any
> >case you are confusing the vibrations of the ball with those of the
> >bat. You can bet the ball stops vibrating long before the bat,

almost
> >instantaneously in fact.

> The ball deforms tremendously when it hits the bat going the
> other direction with a combined speed of up to 235 mph. It
> isn't so much hard as heavy and solid (tires are mostly air
> under considerable pressure).

Everyone is well aware of the flattening of a baseball upon impact with
the bat, thanks to Edgerton's famous pictures around half a century
ago.
http://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/ball_bounces/ballbounces2.html
I didn't look long enough to find a baseball but the description was
nice and the vintage of this football player's gear should remind
people just how old this news is.

Hardness is a measurable well defined quantity and while not as hard as
diamonds, baseballs are "hard enough" as you will know if you ever got
hit by one. Soggy is not a normal technical term but a wet cornflake is
soggy and does not leave the bat after impact, whereas a dry one does
bounce when it hits the table. Terminal velocity counts here (they are
light so the atmosphere damps the bounce heavily) so try dropping the
two cornflakes or better some ball-shaped cereal on the hard surface
instead of swinging the latter. The baseball must be elastic or it
would not leave the bat. It must be viscous or you would be able to
keep up with Mickey Mantle. Ergo it is viscoelastic.

The point is that any vibration in the baseball from the impact is
indeed well damped out, whereas the bat vibrates on for many cycles.
This is what I meant by you confusing vibrations of the ball with those
of the bat. I believe your point was that the tires don't do such a
good job of absorbing vibration and your counterexample was the
vibration felt in the hands after a bad (non-sweet spot) bat impact
with something like a baseball.

You will note on the website above a nice description of deformation
and the way different molecular systems either damp or give back impact
energy. The point though is that to damp and to have the molecules
slide in disorganized ways there must be some deformation in the first
place and in a carbon fibre rear triangle there is none precisely
because it is a triangle and the members are essentially
incompressible, unlike the ball in its impacts, or the tire for that
matter. Damping requires travel, no matter how detailed and fancy the
explanation of what may or may not happen at the molecular scale during
that travel.

In article <1113569936.0711a2aa847ef3903bcc60a4086fe86d@teranews>, jim
beam <[email protected]> wrote:

Jim,

Why postulate so many theories when one can go down to a bike shop and
test ride some of these bikes. I did and as far as I can tell, the
carbon tail end bikes made no significant difference comfort wise going
through cobbled stone roads.

I've tried the Devince Silverstone 105 (carbon end), Trek 2300 (carbon
end as well), Trek 5000, Giant TCR Carbon, new Giant OCR 3 composite
and the Cannondale R700. The only difference I can detect are on the
full carbon bikes against the R700 (which is FULL Optimo 7 aluminium
frame). And I rode each bike for more than 30 mins and in the case of
the Trek 5000 and the Giant OCR 3 for more than 1 hour. But even then,
it's really hard to tell for sure if the full carbon is doing its job,
though the OCR 3 composite ride is very dampened as opposed to the Trek
5000.

As far as riding the half carbon/half aluminium bikes, the only and
seemingly valid arguement that sales floor people make is that, the
aluminium half gives the stiffness for excellent out of saddle climbs
while retaining the comfort of carbon. To me, that's a lot of bull
****. Many other bikes like the Argon 18 Helium or the Krypton are
made of full carbon and yet retain the stiffness for out of the saddle
climbs and so does the Trek 5000.

This leads me to believe that makers who dole out hybrid carbon/AL
frame are targetting those people who can't otherwise afford an
expensive Argon 18 Helium frame or the Orbea Orca (both great rides --
I tried them as well).

David.

jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>hmm. "i'll bet", "I'm postulating based on physical properties that I
>can "mentally model"". this sounds like careful preparation for
>self-denial to me.

You say that, and then go off on a "flat earth rant"???!!! It's
interesting that all the examples you try to use to prove your point
have less than nothing to do with the actual issue at hand.

When (if!) you can ever present a model that actually has anything to
do with an axially loaded tube, try us all again.

Til then, thread over.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] wrote:

>Believe it or not, I've actually used Google before. That makes at
>least two of us, eh?
>
>But the number of hits on Google isn't the number I was looking for.
>After all, if you google "space alien abduction" you get about 174,000
>hits. Do you therefore figure space alien abductions are nearly twice
>as likely as carbon fiber vibration absorption?

Dang, Skippy... I gotta start reading ahead in these threads. I can't
believe we both came up with the same google counterpoint!

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] wrote:

>There's a POWERFUL placebo effect in everything related to cycling.
>That's why heartfelt convictions aren't nearly as convincing as real
>data, or as convincing as the results of physics-based calculations, or
>as convincing as blind comparison tests. So far, all you've provided
>are heartfelt convictions.

It's interesting that it's nearly 100% reliable, too (the placebo
effect). Those that expect to feel a difference seem to do so. Those
that don't expect a difference can't feel one.

One group is fooling themselves.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

41 wrote:

> Everyone is well aware of the flattening of a baseball upon impact

with
> the bat, thanks to Edgerton's famous pictures around half a century
> ago.
> http://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/ball_bounces/ballbounces2.html

> You will note on the website above a nice description of deformation
> and the way different molecular systems either damp or give back

impact
> energy. The point though is that to damp and to have the molecules
> slide in disorganized ways there must be some deformation in the

first
> place and in a carbon fibre rear triangle there is none precisely
> because it is a triangle and the members are essentially
> incompressible, unlike the ball in its impacts, or the tire for that
> matter. Damping requires travel, no matter how detailed and fancy the
> explanation of what may or may not happen at the molecular scale

during
> that travel.

Actually the next page is even better, since it describes the
anti-superball, one made of norbonene:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/ball_bounces/ballbounces3.html

The key word nicely mentioned in these pages that you chaps overlook is
DEFORMATION. In order for the norbonene energy sucking mechanism to
work, it must deform in the first place. The carbon fibre seat stay
does not and even norbonene will be of no help if it does not deform-
which is why frozen norbonene balls in fact do bounce, even though
their crystal structure is identical to that of room temperature ones.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
> >Believe it or not, I've actually used Google before. That makes at
> >least two of us, eh?
> >
> >But the number of hits on Google isn't the number I was looking for.
> >After all, if you google "space alien abduction" you get about

174,000
> >hits. Do you therefore figure space alien abductions are nearly

twice
> >as likely as carbon fiber vibration absorption?

> Dang, Skippy... I gotta start reading ahead in these threads. I

can't
> believe we both came up with the same google counterpoint!

Yeah, but mine was more specific. I was interested only in abductions
by _space_ aliens, not by people from other countries. ;-)

And by some logic, it looks like there must be ... Hmmm, let's see:
215,000 minus 174,000 equals 41,000 abductions by foreigners who are
not from outer space!

Wow. We _do_ have to tighten our immigration policies!

OK, enough politics. Back to the on-topic flame wars! ;-)

- Frank Krygowski

[email protected] wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
> >

> > imagination is not the point. measurement is the point - something

> this
> > group seems careful to avoid because it ends debate, willful
> > misinterpretation & posturing.

> FWIW, in the long-running debates over "ride quality", the only

numbers
> I recall seeing have been from the magic-material skeptics.

Specialized did one here ..
http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/pdf/Witchcraft.pdf

There are lots of Journal articles discussing the phenomina ..

What I have a hard time understanding is the resistance to the
possibility shown by some people. I mean seriously, we are talking
about "ride quality" and "comfort" what Metrics should we use for
those?

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 23:13:37 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>The baseball itself is nothing more than a couple of inches
>of soggy padding.

The few that have dissected themselves in my presence have been quite
dry[1], but the inner bits still were properly characterizable as
"moggy-toy padding".

[1] Only a cur would leave a baseball[2] out in the rain.
[2] or a cake

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Mark Hickey wrote:

> It's interesting that it's nearly 100% reliable, too (the placebo
> effect). Those that expect to feel a difference seem to do so.

Those
> that don't expect a difference can't feel one.
>
> One group is fooling themselves.

It would seem to me, if I wanted to put more spring (compliance) in a
bicycle, and I also wanted the spring to be well damped, I would
concentrate on the seatpost (or seat) rather than the seat stays. The
geometry (triangle) of the stays makes them poor candidates for
springs, while the seatpost is a rather simple structure by comparison.
In times gone by, fashion dictated there wasn't a lot of seatpost to
work with, which would severely limit design options. These days, with
a foot or more to work with, the sky should be the limit.

"Beam bikes" claimed to have a great amount of damping (a good thing if
you didn't want to bob down the road) introduced with deliberately
lossy laminations (they still bob). It would seem to be trivial to
introduce a similar design to the seatpost, but it seems special
seatposts (or how about sprung seats?) just aren't sexy enough for the
upscale bike market.

If "S" bends work in CF seat stays, why not an "S" bend CF seatpost? It
might look like something out of Dr. Suess, but it ought to be more
effective and way cheaper. Oh yeah, how would Ben Serotta sell
something like that -- oh well, back to the marketing/drawing board.

Wait a second! Don't CF wheels do all that damping stuff?!?

It's like the whole aluminum is harsh thing. I would expect my rear to
be in agony while my front remained fresh as a daisy with a steel fork
on an aluminum bike. I never have noticed that, though.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 08:04:29 -0700, Mark Hickey
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>>There's a POWERFUL placebo effect in everything related to cycling.
>>That's why heartfelt convictions aren't nearly as convincing as real
>>data, or as convincing as the results of physics-based calculations, or
>>as convincing as blind comparison tests. So far, all you've provided
>>are heartfelt convictions.

>It's interesting that it's nearly 100% reliable, too (the placebo
>effect). Those that expect to feel a difference seem to do so. Those
>that don't expect a difference can't feel one.
>
>One group is fooling themselves.
>
>Mark Hickey
>Habanero Cycles
>http://www.habcycles.com
>Home of the $695 ti frame

Dear Mark,

Andrew's comment elsewhere about how tricky the specs were
in the aerospace industry for carbon fiber vibration damping
raises a third possibility that might account for some of
the confusion.

Some carbon fiber bikes might have the weave and orientation
to damp vibration well--if so, then their owners would
notice the effect.

Other carbon fiber bikes might have the weave and
orientation wrong--if so, then their owners would feel
little or no improvement.

After the original experiment indicated that lime juice
prevented scurvy, the Royal Navy found that it was nonsense
in practice and that lime juice did not prevent scurvy, so
they didn't use the stuff until many years later.

The reason for this odd result was that the original
experiment used expensive Mediterranean limes, which are
high in vitamin C, while the thrifty Royal Navy used cheap
limes from some Caribbean island, whose wretched soil
produced limes with a vitamin C content not much higher than
the wood in decks of the ships.

I don't know if the vibration damping of carbon fiber could
be enough to make a measurable difference if done right, but
I'm willing to believe that plenty of bike manufacturers
haven't any more idea than I do how the weave and
orientation works.

Carl Fogel

I always wonder why motorcycle and Formula 1 Racing car builders don't use
carbon for the frames they build if carbon would be such an ideal material,
or did I miss any developments (could very well be the case)??

Greets, Derk

Derk wrote:
> I always wonder why motorcycle and Formula 1 Racing car builders

don't use
> carbon for the frames they build if carbon would be such an ideal

material,
> or did I miss any developments (could very well be the case)??

It's not an ideal material in all respects, it just has terrific
strength to weight. Cost to fabricate, failure mode, temperature
sensitivity, etc. may be show stoppers in motor vehicle racing, I don't
know. I don't think weight carries the penalties there that it does in
aerospace and bicycles, though.

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:19:04 -0700, Peter Cole wrote:

> If "S" bends work in CF seat stays, why not an "S" bend CF seatpost?

Basically because it would actually flex. S-bend stays don't really flex
appreciably. This is good, since if they did, they would not last long.
You don't want to be flexing a carbon part a whole bunch.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

On 15 Apr 2005 07:05:04 -0700, "41" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> On 14 Apr 2005 22:55:41 -0700, "41" <[email protected]>

>> >This does not describe a soggy object, it describes a hard

>viscoelastic
>> >object. If it were soggy it wouldn't leave the bat after impact. In

>any
>> >case you are confusing the vibrations of the ball with those of the
>> >bat. You can bet the ball stops vibrating long before the bat,

>almost
>> >instantaneously in fact.

>> The ball deforms tremendously when it hits the bat going the
>> other direction with a combined speed of up to 235 mph. It
>> isn't so much hard as heavy and solid (tires are mostly air
>> under considerable pressure).

>Everyone is well aware of the flattening of a baseball upon impact with
>the bat, thanks to Edgerton's famous pictures around half a century
>ago.
>http://www.exploratorium.edu/sports/ball_bounces/ballbounces2.html
>I didn't look long enough to find a baseball but the description was
>nice and the vintage of this football player's gear should remind
>people just how old this news is.
>
>Hardness is a measurable well defined quantity and while not as hard as
>diamonds, baseballs are "hard enough" as you will know if you ever got
>hit by one. Soggy is not a normal technical term but a wet cornflake is
>soggy and does not leave the bat after impact, whereas a dry one does
>bounce when it hits the table. Terminal velocity counts here (they are
>light so the atmosphere damps the bounce heavily) so try dropping the
>two cornflakes or better some ball-shaped cereal on the hard surface
>instead of swinging the latter. The baseball must be elastic or it
>would not leave the bat. It must be viscous or you would be able to
>keep up with Mickey Mantle. Ergo it is viscoelastic.
>
>The point is that any vibration in the baseball from the impact is
>indeed well damped out, whereas the bat vibrates on for many cycles.
>This is what I meant by you confusing vibrations of the ball with those
>of the bat. I believe your point was that the tires don't do such a
>good job of absorbing vibration and your counterexample was the
>vibration felt in the hands after a bad (non-sweet spot) bat impact
>with something like a baseball.
>
>You will note on the website above a nice description of deformation
>and the way different molecular systems either damp or give back impact
>energy. The point though is that to damp and to have the molecules
>slide in disorganized ways there must be some deformation in the first
>place and in a carbon fibre rear triangle there is none precisely
>because it is a triangle and the members are essentially
>incompressible, unlike the ball in its impacts, or the tire for that
>matter. Damping requires travel, no matter how detailed and fancy the
>explanation of what may or may not happen at the molecular scale during
>that travel.

Dear 41,

The coefficient of restitution for a golf ball in terms of
its rebound speed from a clubhead is set at 0.830 for pros
(amateurs are allowed a little more).

http://www.golftipsmag.com/content/2002/sept/development.html

For a baseball, it's down around 0.503:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/outdoors/outdoors/1277546.html?page=5&c=y

One is soggier than the other.

Drop a golf ball, a baseball, and your front wheel with a
well-inflated tire onto the same cement floor. The baseball
doesn't go splat like a soft snowball, but it obviously
doesn't rebound like the other two objects--it's soggier.

Here's a link to a .PDF with both a soggy column (rebound)
and a squishy column (deformation):

http://www.asse.org/vinger.pdf

The golf ball rates 1.00, meaning no measurable flattening
under a 17kg load. The baseball flattened enough for a
squashier 0.83. A tennis ball squashes to a 0.50.

For some reason, this eye-glass impact test neglected to
drop a wheel with a well-inflated front tire onto a
prescription lens. However, a moment's thought suggests how
little the circle of a 700c front tire flattens out under
its typical 25-45 kg load.

Carl Fogel