Re: Carbon Fiber Seat Stays = Better Ride?

jim beam wrote:

> mark & phil, the charts are not totally legible, but let's see what

we
> can deduce.
>
> 1. the units of frequency is Hertz, [Hz], and that appears to be what

> the horizontal axes are labeled as. i can't read the numbers, but
> they're all 3 digits, apart from origin which is clearly zero.

likely
> units are hundreds of Hz, and the fuzz appears to accord with 100,

200,
> 300, etc up to 600Hz.
>
> 2. the vertical axes are not clear regarding units - could be english

or
> metric. they may also be sensor output or they may be g's. but the
> length of the numerical labels clearly indicate a log scale.
>
> 3. we also have red & blue lines, from which "front axle" & "rear

axle"
> can be read, both for blue lines. therefore, even though illegible,

the
> reds must be handlebar & saddle.
>
> with that much understanding, we can now look at the data.

Can we pause and note how ridiculous this is?

First, we're examing in detail graphs which are clearly part of an
advertising effort by Specialized. These are not part of a scientific
paper of any sort.

Second, we're _guessing_ at what the scales of the graphs are saying.
We're not sure if the units are English or Metric. We're _guessing_ at
what frequencies they've measured.

Third, we're _guessing_ at what the critical curves represent. We
figure they probably have something to do with saddle and handlebars.
But we're not quite positive.

Fourth, we have no information about how the vibrations were excited.
That is, did they apply excitation to a naked hub mounted in the frame?
Or to a 20 mm tire? Or to a 2" diameter balloon tire?

Fifth, we have no information about the mass resting on the saddle, if
any. Was the bike unloaded? Quite possible! That would tend to give
the biggest difference on the advertising graphs. But of course, the
ad copy doesn't say.

Finally, has nobody else noticed that they're claiming special benefit
from the "Zertz" viscoelastic polymer inserts in the seat stays???
Good grief, gentlemen! They're talking about something entirely
different from plain CF seatstays! Your credulity has blinded you!

it's clear
> that for good chunks of both graphs that there /is/ about an order of

> magnitude difference between red & blue. because of sensor

locations,
> this differential /has/ to be resulting from some property of the

frame
> system. [and to be clear, this is /after/ any effect of the
> tire/wheel.] it's also clear that the differential is greater for
> higher frequencies than lower.

Of course. Now let's return to my fourth point: How were the frame
vibrations excited? If those abscissa values are 600 Hz, it's very
unlikely they were shaking the bottom of an inflated tire on a loaded
bike. 600 Hz is about the middle of the musical staff; if try to pump
that frequency into the tire of a spoked wheel, little of it makes it
as far as the hub!

I'd say the odds are great that they excited the axle directly. They
can "scientifically" justify that by saying they're not interested in
the effect of the tire, rim and spokes. But the trouble is a) there's
no way to get a meaningful amount of audible frequency vibration _into_
the axle from the road. And if you did, it would have to be such a
small amplitude that it would be imperceptible to the rider except
through his ears. Again, we don't hear with our butt!

Look, try this: Take a standard musical tuning fork, say an A-440 Hz
fork. Touch it to the end of an aluminum rod, and touch the other end
to your ear, as a mechanic does when diagnosing mechanical sounds.
Note the loudness when you vibrate the tuning fork.

Now repeat, but have the rod touch a bike's hub, while the tuning fork
vibrates against the inflated tire. I just tried this, guys. You can
barely hear the vibration. 440 Hz is almost entirely absorbed by the
tire.

Yet that seems to be the frequency that Specialized says their Roubaix
frame is best at absorbing. WITH ELASTOMERIC INSERTS!

> interpretation? we clearly have a frame system that /is/ shown to
> attenuate vibration by up to 10x, generally better at higher

frequencies
> than lower. if we assume frame design is conventional [the pic /is/
> fairly clear]...

Have you considered reading the rest of the site?? Are you forgetting
that you're looking at an advertisement for a frame with elastomeric
inserts??

and that the frame joints are comparatively rigid, this
> measurement differential /is/ a function of material.

Yup. Specifically, the elastomeric insert material. Look at the
seatpost that uses the same. Or the handlebars.

I'm quite willing to believe that a frame with flexible elastomeric
inserts can be designed to absorb the musical note A-440! And, as an
amateur musician, if I ever find my steel or aluminum frames'
vibrations are interfering with my on-bike music making, I'll promise
to look into a Roubaix frame.

But back to the subject! Does anyone have any tests showing a
NON-elastomeric carbon fiber seat stay reducing vibrations that are of
actual interest to a bike rider?

I thought not.

- Frank Krygowski

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:02:20 -0700, Peter
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> On 24 Apr 2005 22:04:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>>I'm quite willing to believe that a frame with flexible elastomeric
>>>inserts can be designed to absorb the musical note A-440! And, as an
>>>amateur musician, if I ever find my steel or aluminum frames'
>>>vibrations are interfering with my on-bike music making, I'll promise
>>>to look into a Roubaix frame.

>> What "note" is largely absorbed by wooden bats striking
>> squashy softballs, but transmitted painfully by aluminum
>> bats?

>Deflection properties are quite different when comparing a rigid truss
>design to a cantilevered cylinder.

Dear Peter,

What about the front fork, which was what Jim Beam kept
asking people to swap out to test for a difference between
carbon fiber and metal? Does the front fork resemble a rigid
truss or a cantilevered cylinder?

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

>What about the front fork, which was what Jim Beam kept
>asking people to swap out to test for a difference between
>carbon fiber and metal? Does the front fork resemble a rigid
>truss or a cantilevered cylinder?

Obviously a cantilevered cylinder. But that means that we've also got
to examine the stiffness of the cylinder - and from the testing I've
seen carbon fiber forks have considerably more flex than steel forks
(I'm sure there are exceptions, but the values I saw make me think
there is a strong correlation).

A fork with more fore/aft flex will convert "significant road
features" into longer-period impulses. Picture a 5mm rod laying
across the road perpendicular to the bike's direction. With an
infinitely solid fork, the tire will be required to deform around the
rod "real-time". From the time the portion of the tire normally 5mm
off the surface of the road touches the rod to the time the rod is
under the center of the contact point of the tire will be precisely
the amount of time it takes the rest of the bike to move that far.

Now imagine a VERY flexible fork and it's not hard to imagine the
rearward deflection giving the tire a bit more time to "absorb" the
impact with the rod. I'm using a more extreme physical example to
illustrate the concept, but the very minute movements of the fork fore
and aft in response to rough surfaces will "mute" some of what would
otherwise reach the rider's hands.

Hence, I'd expect a very flexible steel fork to "feel" better than an
extremely stiff carbon fiber fork.

For those who may doubt a fork's ability to move much fore and aft,
please revisit the "fork flex under braking" threads that pop up every
so often (which describe the front hub moving back and forth in a
virtual blur induced by brake shudder).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

[email protected] wrote:

> Dear Peter,
>
> Does it matter in terms of vibration, shock, and road buzz
> that the frame is linked to the front fork?

Carl: Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but in your questions I see
repeated attempts to justify faith in carbon fiber seat stays by
whatever rationalization you can generate.

Let's stick to the subject. Although I could discuss them, let's leave
aside cantilevers with single impact loads, like baseball bats and
tennis rackets. Let's leave aside frames with elastomeric inserts -
and let's leave aside handlebars and seatposts with such inserts.
Let's leave aside musical vibrations.

Let's talk about truss structures with ordinary (i.e. essentially
rigid) members made of carbon fiber or metal. In fact, let's talk
about such members suspended above a flexible tire and wheel,
supporting a large mass via another flexible structure, a bike saddle.
And let's talk about vibrations of the sort that are of interest to
cyclists - not musicians. IOW, let's talk about the subject of the
thread.

You seem to spend significant time looking for references on the web.
Can you find _no_ case where someone's actually measured the supposed
benefit of these magical seat stays? Can you find _no_ case where
someone's proven their benefit in a blind (or better, double blind)
test? IOW, can you find no test that proves these things violate the
laws of physics, as their ads claim?

Why would that be?

- Frank Krygowski

Sandy wrote:
> Dans le message de news:[email protected],
> dvt <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
>> "What may have been measurable" may not have been measurable.

> Golly, you have a strange way of using a keyboard to say nothing.

Thanks. I was simply repeating what you said, which was also nothing.

--
Dave
dvt at psu dot edu

[email protected] wrote:
> I'm just sticking this link onto your post because the
> thread has gotten so large that I can't find all the places
> where it might be of interest:
>
> http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/opinions/stiffframe2.html
>
> It's an elderly page concerning baseball bats and vibration,
> and mentions bending versus shell modes and why hollow
> structures vibrate worse than solid structures at higher
> frequencies.

All gibberish and hand waving by someone with no grasp of fundamentals.
He also thinks hubs hang from spokes.

On 25 Apr 2005 06:37:38 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>>

>> Dear Peter,
>>
>> Does it matter in terms of vibration, shock, and road buzz
>> that the frame is linked to the front fork?

>Carl: Perhaps I'm misinterpreting, but in your questions I see
>repeated attempts to justify faith in carbon fiber seat stays by
>whatever rationalization you can generate.

Dear Frank,

Yes, you are.

Carl Fogel

In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey says...

>Now imagine a VERY flexible fork and it's not hard to imagine the
>rearward deflection giving the tire a bit more time to "absorb" the
>impact with the rod. I'm using a more extreme physical example to
>illustrate the concept, but the very minute movements of the fork fore
>and aft in response to rough surfaces will "mute" some of what would
>otherwise reach the rider's hands.

Ford, many years ago, advertised the same backwards deflection built into its
car front suspensions. It may have just been a feature inherent in the design
of all car suspension that Ford chose to market as if it only applied to Fords.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>

>>What about the front fork, which was what Jim Beam kept
>>asking people to swap out to test for a difference between
>>carbon fiber and metal? Does the front fork resemble a rigid
>>truss or a cantilevered cylinder?

> Obviously a cantilevered cylinder. But that means that we've also got
> to examine the stiffness of the cylinder - and from the testing I've
> seen carbon fiber forks have considerably more flex than steel forks
> (I'm sure there are exceptions, but the values I saw make me think
> there is a strong correlation).
>
> A fork with more fore/aft flex will convert "significant road
> features" into longer-period impulses. Picture a 5mm rod laying
> across the road perpendicular to the bike's direction. With an
> infinitely solid fork, the tire will be required to deform around the
> rod "real-time". From the time the portion of the tire normally 5mm
> off the surface of the road touches the rod to the time the rod is
> under the center of the contact point of the tire will be precisely
> the amount of time it takes the rest of the bike to move that far.
>
> Now imagine a VERY flexible fork and it's not hard to imagine the
> rearward deflection

deflection in the situation you describe has both _upward_, ["y"
coordinate] AND _forward_ ["x" coordinate] components - the fork's
mounted at 70-something degrees. any "rearward" motion observed is
reaction, not action.

> giving the tire a bit more time to "absorb" the
> impact with the rod. I'm using a more extreme physical example to
> illustrate the concept, but the very minute movements of the fork fore
> and aft in response to rough surfaces will "mute" some of what would

> otherwise reach the rider's hands.
>
> Hence, I'd expect a very flexible steel fork to "feel" better than an
> extremely stiff carbon fiber fork.

use of the word "expect" is the root of this whole argument.
"expectations" of carbon composites offering no discernable improvement
seeming lead to inability to accept evidence to the contrary.

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Peter Cole wrote:

> > I think what's more illuminating is that bats and racquets are designed
> > to be loaded perpendicular to the primary axis. Forks and chainstays
> > are loaded axially almost exclusively.

> no, that would require them to be mounted at 90 degrees, i.e no castor
> angle.

Given effective fork angles, even a direct upward force will load them 70%
or so axially. Given that all road impact forces also have a horizontal
component (assuming the bike is moving), the axial load will only increase
from there. I think we can assume that, for the purposes of this thread,
the loading is essentially axial.

> > To deform under axial loading
> > requires a column buckling mode,

> which is why most forks have a curve in them.

Some do, some don't they all seem to work, because they flex at the crown.
The curve is to provide offset, which can be provided a number of ways,
mostly determined by fashion.

> > something that (especially in forks)
> > is risky business.

> except that most forks have a curve in them.

Perhaps you have a value of "K" for your carbon forks? (I'll take an
estimate). How much of that "K" is from bending in the curve vs. bending at
the crown?

> > The load geometry of forks makes them poorly suited
> > to take advantage of CF damping, even if the frequencies they damped
> > were in a useful range.

> in fact, most carbon forks have /two/ curves in them - the "trail"
> curve, but modern ones also have an insetting curve near the crown which
> adds an extra component of possible axial absorption.

Reynolds touts their "system", for instance Google gets:
57 English pages for Reynolds "Vibration Minimizing System"

All of these sites just repeat the identical sentence from Reynolds. I
can't find a description of this "system" anywhere. Can you describe it, or
link to a description?

jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark Hickey wrote:

>> Hence, I'd expect a very flexible steel fork to "feel" better than an
>> extremely stiff carbon fiber fork.

>use of the word "expect" is the root of this whole argument.
>"expectations" of carbon composites offering no discernable improvement
>seeming lead to inability to accept evidence to the contrary.

There's an important difference, Jim... I described how the more
flexible fork changes the impulses through the bars, and the physical
phenomenon that would explain it (one with orders of magnitude more
movement).

We've yet to hear the same for those claiming the "carbon fiber seat
stay magic carpet ride" (magic being the key word).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

>> To deform under axial loading
>> requires a column buckling mode,

>which is why most forks have a curve in them.

Jim, I'll bet you $100 you can't push down hard enough on the bars of
my bike to reduce the crown to dropout measurement by 1mm.

Wanna take me up on that? I mean c'mon... I'm talking about a lousy
mm, and am allowing you to put your full weight on the bars - much
more weight than you'd be able to put on them actually riding the
bike.

Mark "where should I spend Jim's money?" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey writes:

> Obviously [the fork is] a cantilevered cylinder. But that means
> that we've also got to examine the stiffness of the cylinder - and
> from the testing I've seen carbon fiber forks have considerably more
> flex than steel forks (I'm sure there are exceptions, but the values
> I saw make me think there is a strong correlation).

> A fork with more fore/aft flex will convert "significant road
> features" into longer-period impulses. Picture a 5mm rod laying
> across the road perpendicular to the bike's direction. With an
> infinitely solid fork, the tire will be required to deform around
> the rod "real-time". From the time the portion of the tire normally
> 5mm off the surface of the road touches the rod to the time the rod
> is under the center of the contact point of the tire will be
> precisely the amount of time it takes the rest of the bike to move
> that far.

The fork is loaded in compression for larger bumps and forward bending
for small road roughness. That would make the rise time shorter if
anything. Steel fork failures that I have seen failed in the forward
mode in fatigue from bending loads caused by common road roughness.

> Now imagine a VERY flexible fork and it's not hard to imagine the
> rearward deflection giving the tire a bit more time to "absorb" the
> impact with the rod. I'm using a more extreme physical example to
> illustrate the concept, but the very minute movements of the fork
> fore and aft in response to rough surfaces will "mute" some of what
> would otherwise reach the rider's hands.

It won't because it doesn't bend that way except under braking or
large road shocks, ones of which we aren't talking about there.

> Hence, I'd expect a very flexible steel fork to "feel" better than an
> extremely stiff carbon fiber fork.

> For those who may doubt a fork's ability to move much fore and aft,
> please revisit the "fork flex under braking" threads that pop up
> every so often (which describe the front hub moving back and forth
> in a virtual blur induced by brake shudder).

For those who visualize this motion, I suggest looking at a vector
diagram of loads and recognize that forks bend forward from normal
road roughness.

[email protected]

On 27 Apr 2005 14:51:51 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Try with a tennis ball. That's rather more like a bicycle tyre than a
>"soft"ball.

Dear Peter,

Indeed--and the strings further cushion the impact and
vibration, which concern tennis players, who have always
been troubled by shoulder, elbow, and wrist pain commonly
attributed to impact.

Modern tennis racquets are almost exclusively composite.

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:

>On 27 Apr 2005 14:51:51 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>Try with a tennis ball. That's rather more like a bicycle tyre than a
>>"soft"ball.

>Indeed--and the strings further cushion the impact and
>vibration, which concern tennis players, who have always
>been troubled by shoulder, elbow, and wrist pain commonly
>attributed to impact.
>
>Modern tennis racquets are almost exclusively composite.

That's why I recommend a carbon fiber Trek for swinging at dogs. If
you were to hit a dog by swinging one of my bikes at it, it'd just
seem... harsh.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>>To deform under axial loading
>>>requires a column buckling mode,

>>which is why most forks have a curve in them.

> Jim, I'll bet you $100 you can't push down hard enough on the bars of
> my bike to reduce the crown to dropout measurement by 1mm.
>
> Wanna take me up on that? I mean c'mon... I'm talking about a lousy
> mm, and am allowing you to put your full weight on the bars - much
> more weight than you'd be able to put on them actually riding the
> bike.
>
> Mark "where should I spend Jim's money?" Hickey
> Habanero Cycles
> http://www.habcycles.com
> Home of the $695 ti frame

eh? where do you get "1mm" from? is it something you've calculated as
a performance limit of just random number you pulled out of the air?

frankly, i don't think that a guy making statements to the effect that
butted tubing is pointless, that tapered tubing is pointless and that
feels free to use terms such as "aerospace grade" for material that is
nothing of the sort is in a position to say this stuff - you clearly
don't understand enough about the situation. you don't tell your
dentist you can do their job better do you? well, maybe you do. good
luck in your life mark.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Mark Hickey wrote:

>>>Hence, I'd expect a very flexible steel fork to "feel" better than an
>>>extremely stiff carbon fiber fork.

>>use of the word "expect" is the root of this whole argument.
>>"expectations" of carbon composites offering no discernable improvement
>>seeming lead to inability to accept evidence to the contrary.

> There's an important difference, Jim... I described how the more
> flexible fork changes the impulses through the bars, and the physical
> phenomenon that would explain it (one with orders of magnitude more
> movement).

mark, with respect, you don't seem to understand. composites do not
transmit shock in the same way as other materials - there have been very
good outlines of the reasons for this by three different people in this
thread. not paying attention is something you can personally fix.
deliberately ignoring it for the sake of an argument is not something
i'm prepared to address.

[email protected] wrote:
> Mark Hickey writes:
>

>>Obviously [the fork is] a cantilevered cylinder. But that means
>>that we've also got to examine the stiffness of the cylinder - and
>>from the testing I've seen carbon fiber forks have considerably more
>>flex than steel forks (I'm sure there are exceptions, but the values
>>I saw make me think there is a strong correlation).

>>A fork with more fore/aft flex will convert "significant road
>>features" into longer-period impulses. Picture a 5mm rod laying
>>across the road perpendicular to the bike's direction. With an
>>infinitely solid fork, the tire will be required to deform around
>>the rod "real-time". From the time the portion of the tire normally
>>5mm off the surface of the road touches the rod to the time the rod
>>is under the center of the contact point of the tire will be
>>precisely the amount of time it takes the rest of the bike to move
>>that far.

> The fork is loaded in compression for larger bumps and forward bending
> for small road roughness. That would make the rise time shorter if
> anything. Steel fork failures that I have seen failed in the forward
> mode in fatigue from bending loads caused by common road roughness.
>

>>Now imagine a VERY flexible fork and it's not hard to imagine the
>>rearward deflection giving the tire a bit more time to "absorb" the
>>impact with the rod. I'm using a more extreme physical example to
>>illustrate the concept, but the very minute movements of the fork
>>fore and aft in response to rough surfaces will "mute" some of what
>>would otherwise reach the rider's hands.

> It won't because it doesn't bend that way except under braking or
> large road shocks, ones of which we aren't talking about there.
>

>>Hence, I'd expect a very flexible steel fork to "feel" better than an
>>extremely stiff carbon fiber fork.

>>For those who may doubt a fork's ability to move much fore and aft,
>>please revisit the "fork flex under braking" threads that pop up
>>every so often (which describe the front hub moving back and forth
>>in a virtual blur induced by brake shudder).

> For those who visualize this motion, I suggest looking at a vector
> diagram of loads and recognize that forks bend forward from normal
> road roughness.
>
> [email protected]

good summary.

Peter Cole wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>>Peter Cole wrote:

>>>I think what's more illuminating is that bats and racquets are designed
>>>to be loaded perpendicular to the primary axis. Forks and chainstays
>>>are loaded axially almost exclusively.

>>no, that would require them to be mounted at 90 degrees, i.e no castor
>>angle.

> Given effective fork angles, even a direct upward force will load them 70%
> or so axially. Given that all road impact forces also have a horizontal
> component (assuming the bike is moving), the axial load will only increase
> from there. I think we can assume that, for the purposes of this thread,
> the loading is essentially axial.

ah, this sounds like the same "essentially" that was used to connect
automotive springs that had been stress releived by heat treatment and
those that had supposedly been relieved to "essentially" the same degree
by cold work.

>>>To deform under axial loading
>>>requires a column buckling mode,

>>which is why most forks have a curve in them.

> Some do, some don't they all seem to work, because they flex at the crown.
> The curve is to provide offset, which can be provided a number of ways,
> mostly determined by fashion.

sure, offset is achieved, but the curve kills two birds with one stone -
offset & spring. why else would anyone bother going to the expense of
bending tube when they can simply offset the fork crown mounting?

>>>something that (especially in forks)
>>>is risky business.

>>except that most forks have a curve in them.

> Perhaps you have a value of "K" for your carbon forks? (I'll take an
> estimate). How much of that "K" is from bending in the curve vs. bending at
> the crown?

your argument is getting weak.

>>>The load geometry of forks makes them poorly suited
>>>to take advantage of CF damping, even if the frequencies they damped
>>>were in a useful range.

>>in fact, most carbon forks have /two/ curves in them - the "trail"
>>curve, but modern ones also have an insetting curve near the crown which
>>adds an extra component of possible axial absorption.

> Reynolds touts their "system", for instance Google gets:
> 57 English pages for Reynolds "Vibration Minimizing System"
>
> All of these sites just repeat the identical sentence from Reynolds. I
> can't find a description of this "system" anywhere. Can you describe it, or
> link to a description?

there's a number of different methodologies out there peter. at this
point in this thread, when three other people have gone to the trouble
of describing the mechanism for this stuff, and you're still ignoring
it, i can only conclude that you enjoy the fight more then the
knowledge. i see nothing to be gained from repetition. all you need to
demonstrate is whether the data from the "witchcraft" paper is
fabricated. if it is, then you have a leg to stand on. if it's not,
you need to open your mind, some materials text books & start reading.