Re: cardiac PET scan

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by John Wendel, Sep 9, 2003.

  1. John Wendel

    John Wendel Guest

    Dr.Andrew B.Chung If resting sestamibi images demonstrate a mild
    reduction in tracer accumulation,however FDG PET images demonstrate a
    disproportionately increased amount of FDG tracer accumulation in the
    same region in comparison to the degree of sestamibi would the above
    findings in any way be a dead muscle tissues (old heart attacks)? I know
    that above findings can be related to diaphragmatic attenuation artifact
    and also can be related to physiologic variant and also can be mild
    ischemia,but can the above findings be in any way dead muscle tissues
    (old heart attacks)?Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Patrick Ford

    Patrick Ford Guest

    [email protected] (John Wendel) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dr.Andrew B.Chung If resting sestamibi images demonstrate a mild
    > reduction in tracer accumulation,however FDG PET images demonstrate a
    > disproportionately increased amount of FDG tracer accumulation in the
    > same region in comparison to the degree of sestamibi would the above
    > findings in any way be a dead muscle tissues (old heart attacks)? I know
    > that above findings can be related to diaphragmatic attenuation artifact
    > and also can be related to physiologic variant and also can be mild
    > ischemia,but can the above findings be in any way dead muscle tissues
    > (old heart attacks)?Thanks

    If there is F-18 FDG in the tissue it is not dead! What level of
    certainty do you want? This is as about as certain as any medical
    test can get. If you want to parse that a couple of patients out of a
    thousand with the above findings might have a tiny almost microscopic
    sub endocardial scar, sure it is not 100%, but it is the current Gold
    Standard for myocardial viability! Anyone who clams Test X or Y are
    'better' needs to tell you compared to what and how that determination
    was made.

    If you need more certainty than the current Gold Standard test, why
    don't you get a Myocardial Scar MRI study done? Since PET and MRI are
    using two distinct methods, if both show no scar then the post test
    probability of scar would be essentially zero.