Re: Carrying a camera

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chuck Anderson, Jul 27, 2004.

  1. Glm wrote:

    >"Glm" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >

    >>Occasionally, I want to go on rides and take photographs.
    >>

    >Sorry, wrong newsgroup. Forgive me. Shall re-post in r.b.m.

    What about a handlebar bag? The fact that it's suspended is a plus for
    carrying delicate, expensive electronics. It keeps the camera in ready
    reach. I carry an Olympus E-10 that way.

    --
    *****************************
    Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

    Tags:

  2. Glm

    Glm Guest

    "Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s02...
    > What about a handlebar bag? The fact that it's suspended is a plus for
    > carrying delicate, expensive electronics. It keeps the camera in ready
    > reach. I carry an Olympus E-10 that way.

    Thank you, Chuck. I have always been wary of handlebar bags, but I could
    certainly give it a try.

    I like your web site.

  3. H. Morgan

    H. Morgan Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 02:17:49 GMT, "Glm" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]_s02...
    >> What about a handlebar bag? The fact that it's suspended is a plus for
    >> carrying delicate, expensive electronics. It keeps the camera in ready
    >> reach. I carry an Olympus E-10 that way.

    >Thank you, Chuck. I have always been wary of handlebar bags, but I could
    >certainly give it a try.
    >
    >I like your web site.

    A camera, by the way, is the finest method of de-fusing a road rage
    incident that won't get you thrown in jail. Angry people tend to
    scurry away rather quickly when you point one at them. I tried it once
    when I just happened to have mine with me. Since then I've always had
    a disposable in the glove box of my car, and have used it 4 times that
    I can remember, all with the same effect.

  4. H. Morgan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > A camera, by the way, is the finest method of de-fusing a road rage
    > incident that won't get you thrown in jail. Angry people tend to
    > scurry away rather quickly when you point one at them. I tried it once
    > when I just happened to have mine with me. Since then I've always had
    > a disposable in the glove box of my car, and have used it 4 times that
    > I can remember, all with the same effect.

    yep. i have a treo (a pda phone with a camera). i hate it. it's huge but
    it certainly helps with remembering license plates. i stop to take photos
    not to yell. it's kinda disconcerting to the poor cagers and it helps keeps
    my blood pressure down.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  5. Glm

    Glm Guest

    "David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > H. Morgan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > A camera, by the way, is the finest method of de-fusing a road rage
    > > incident that won't get you thrown in jail. Angry people tend to
    > > scurry away rather quickly when you point one at them. I tried it once
    > > when I just happened to have mine with me. Since then I've always had
    > > a disposable in the glove box of my car, and have used it 4 times that
    > > I can remember, all with the same effect.

    > yep. i have a treo (a pda phone with a camera). i hate it. it's huge

    but
    > it certainly helps with remembering license plates. i stop to take photos
    > not to yell. it's kinda disconcerting to the poor cagers and it helps

    keeps
    > my blood pressure down.
    > --
    > david reuteler
    > [email protected]

    Interesting observations. I've likewise been a photographer since my
    teenage years. I've noticed many people getting upset upon the mere
    suspicion that they were snapped in an image. I suppose that it depends on
    the individual; I can certainly see your point that the occasional (as
    opposed to habitual) nutcase might be wary of a lens.

    Of course, I have never lost a camera to an irate subject. Indeed, mine
    have all been bequeathed to the back seats of taxis during nights of
    Bacchanalian indulgence.

  6. And I've always carried my cameras in a handlbar bag. I've been on more than
    40 bike tours with that and have never had a camera damaged.
    Ideally you want it padded inside the bag.
    I carry mine in a small lowepro bag inside the handlebar bag. I leave the
    top of the lowepro bag unzipped so I have quick access.
    I always carry a camera like this when I cycle, I live in Ireland where the
    roads tend to be rough and I never have had a problem. I've even carried a
    Mamiya Rb67 like this!!

  7. >What about a handlebar bag? The fact that it's suspended is a plus for
    >carrying delicate, expensive electronics. It keeps the camera in ready
    >reach. I carry an Olympus E-10 that way.

    That's how I carry my camera. Works a treat. Which is a darned good job as I'm
    going to be trundling around France in August on my bike with camera thus.

    Cheers, helen s

  8. Glm

    Glm Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > >What about a handlebar bag? The fact that it's suspended is a plus for
    > >carrying delicate, expensive electronics. It keeps the camera in ready
    > >reach. I carry an Olympus E-10 that way.

    > That's how I carry my camera. Works a treat. Which is a darned good job as

    I'm
    > going to be trundling around France in August on my bike with camera thus.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Thank you to all who responded in both this and the thread below. Am going
    to see what decent handlebar bags I can find; and I believe that it makes
    sense to pack the camera inside another padded bag to provide additional
    protection.

  9. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > And I've always carried my cameras in a handlbar bag. I've been on more than
    > 40 bike tours with that and have never had a camera damaged.
    > Ideally you want it padded inside the bag.
    > I carry mine in a small lowepro bag inside the handlebar bag. I leave the
    > top of the lowepro bag unzipped so I have quick access.
    > I always carry a camera like this when I cycle, I live in Ireland where the
    > roads tend to be rough and I never have had a problem. I've even carried a
    > Mamiya Rb67 like this!!

    I carried a camera in a handlebar bag during a fun ride which went
    through a state park. At the bottom of a hill, they placed plywood
    over a cattle guard, but I figured it was easier to bunny-hop it at
    speed. Unfortunately, the camera took the opportunity to hop out of
    the unzipped handlebar bag and go careening down the road on its own.
    Fortunately, it was just a disposable. Unfortunately, all of the
    photos of that ride were ruined....

    If you keep a camera in a handlebar bag, either avoid big bumps or
    keep it zipped up!

    -Buck

  10. Cathy Kearns

    Cathy Kearns Guest

    "dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    > >What about a handlebar bag? The fact that it's suspended is a plus for
    > >carrying delicate, expensive electronics. It keeps the camera in ready
    > >reach. I carry an Olympus E-10 that way.

    > That's how I carry my camera. Works a treat. Which is a darned good job as

    I'm
    > going to be trundling around France in August on my bike with camera thus.
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    Last time I trundled around France on my bike we brought our Nikon
    D100 (Digital SLR) with a pretty decent sized lense. It rode in our
    handlebar bag, wrapped in jackets or leg warmers or both. Worked
    great. Enjoy.

  11. It is the internal bag I keep unzipped, not the handlebar bag itself!!!

    I've seen a friend's camera hop down the road on a tour when he hit a bump.