Re: Cast Iron - Lids: Iron or Glass?

Serendipity

Guest
aem wrote:

> Richard M. Kennedy wrote:
>
>>I just bought a cast iron skillet because of its suitability for
>>recipes in which the covered skillet goes directly from the stove top
>>into the oven.

> Good idea. They're also great for fried chicken and a lot of other
> things that want a pan that holds heat well.

They are very good for fritattas :) I made a pea meal bacon, mushroom,
potato, and chees fritatta for Sunday brunch. Very good!

<snip>
>>I notice utensils are turning up in stores now with silicon handles
>>and knobs that are claimed to be oven-safe. [snip]

> Sorry, I know even less about silicon than about iron.

I have limited knowledge of using silicon utensils and bakeware it the
kitchen. I'm new to both. Of what I've used so far, I've been quite
pleased. I have bakeware (muffin tin, cookie sheet) and utensils
(barbeque brush, deep ladle, spatulas, oven gloves). As far as
temperatures, my bakeware is good to 500 F for the muffin tin and 425 F
for the cookie sheet. I can't recall a rating on the utensils. I've
had no problems as far as heat. I have small hands and find the oven
glove too big but the little finger/thumb mit is too small to prevent
burns to the top of my hand if I'm careless. That is the only negatives
so far.