Re: "Catastrophic" failure of mountain bike fork lowers (Manitou Skareb Comp)

justen

Guest
Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote:
> The magnesium lowers of my 2003 Manitou Skareb Comp had begun to crack last

This is a farily well-known problem with the 2003 reverse arch forks.
Supposedly things were fixed for 2004. I have heard of failures of the
2003 forks, but not the 2004. FWIW.

justen

"justen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote:
>> The magnesium lowers of my 2003 Manitou Skareb Comp had begun to crack
>> last

> This is a farily well-known problem with the 2003 reverse arch forks.
> Supposedly things were fixed for 2004. I have heard of failures of the
> 2003 forks, but not the 2004. FWIW.

Yup... all over MTBR. I'm surprised they didn't recall them all; I'd be
scared to know what a heavier rider could do... I'm only 135 lbs.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Any recourse via Manitou ? Hoping my old trusty SX-R will give me another
couple of years...

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> "justen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> The magnesium lowers of my 2003 Manitou Skareb Comp had begun to crack
> >> last

> > This is a farily well-known problem with the 2003 reverse arch forks.
> > Supposedly things were fixed for 2004. I have heard of failures of the
> > 2003 forks, but not the 2004. FWIW.

> Yup... all over MTBR. I'm surprised they didn't recall them all; I'd be
> scared to know what a heavier rider could do... I'm only 135 lbs.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Gwood" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any recourse via Manitou ? Hoping my old trusty SX-R will give me another
> couple of years...

The SX-R has the normal arch, doesn't it? If so, it's probably fine.

I sold the fork with the new lowers for $15 on eBay. I kept the old lowers,
which are the ones I broke fully yesterday.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training