Re: "Catastrophic" failure of mountain bike fork lowers (Manitou Skareb Comp)

"JP" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> >Here it is a year ago when I first identified the crack:
>> >http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/p1.jpg
>> >http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/p2.jpg

> You found a crack in an integral structural portion of
> the front fork,

Sure did. Not sure about the back fork though.

> the fork that hits everything first,

If you're a smooth rider, it doesn't.

> the fork that absorbs the impact on downhills,
> log piles, rock gardens, running over wildlife.

Where did I say I did all this? Does riding a mountain bike *require* doing
all these?

> Yet you continued to ride on it.

And...

> The mind boggles.

Yeah, it'd boggle my mind too if I were small-minded.

> Are you campaigning for a Darwin Award?

Nope - I wanted to ride. If you can't accept a certain level of risk, go
cry back home.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
<snip>

> > Are you campaigning for a Darwin Award?

> Nope - I wanted to ride. If you can't accept a certain level of risk, go
> cry back home.

Exactly!!! I blow dry my hair, while standing in a puddle of water.

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> "JP" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > You found a crack in an integral structural portion of
> > the front fork,

> Sure did. Not sure about the back fork though.
>
> > the fork that hits everything first,

> If you're a smooth rider, it doesn't.
>
> > the fork that absorbs the impact on downhills,
> > log piles, rock gardens, running over wildlife.

> Where did I say I did all this? Does riding a mountain bike *require*

doing
> all these?
>
> > Yet you continued to ride on it.

> And...
>
> > The mind boggles.

> Yeah, it'd boggle my mind too if I were small-minded.
>
> > Are you campaigning for a Darwin Award?

> Nope - I wanted to ride. If you can't accept a certain level of risk, go
> cry back home.
>
> --
> Phil, Squid-in-Training

For me the risk is inherent in the activity.
Then again my wheels go over bumps.
I don't use equipment I can't trust.

But please for the benefit of my narrow mind..

if you are such a smooth rider then why do you need
suspension in your front fork?

I'd hardly be the one crying back home with a shredded face
and dislocated shoulder resulting from the inevitable endo
when the fork failed. I'd never trust a casting with a crack.
Using the words "catastrophic failure" is a stretch.
Failing with no warning in use is catastrophic.
Failure after six months advance warning is rider error.
Failure after the series of events you described is predictable.

Oh right, you're a student.
You haven't yet learned that you can be seriously, irreparably damaged.
Blind faith in your own indestructable immortality.
You were lucky.

"laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:mJsPd.31$d%[email protected]...

> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> <snip>
>
> > > Are you campaigning for a Darwin Award?

> > Nope - I wanted to ride. If you can't accept a certain level of risk,

go
> > cry back home.
> >

> Exactly!!! I blow dry my hair, while standing in a puddle of water.

That puddle ain't water...

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe wrote:
> "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> Exactly!!! I blow dry my hair, while standing in a puddle of water.

> That puddle ain't water...

Post o' the Day, Mate!
--
BS (no, I mean it)

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shaun aRe wrote:
> > "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Exactly!!! I blow dry my hair, while standing in a puddle of water.

> > That puddle ain't water...

> Post o' the Day, Mate!

',;~}~

You sure you're American Bill?

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

"Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:mJsPd.31$d%[email protected]...
> >
> > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote

in
> > message news:[email protected]...
> > <snip>

> > > Nope - I wanted to ride. If you can't accept a certain level of risk,

> go
> > > cry back home.
> > >

> > Exactly!!! I blow dry my hair, while standing in a puddle of water.

> That puddle ain't water...

Shaun, you totally missed the sarcasm?

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:20:04 -0600, laffing@you <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:mJsPd.31$d%[email protected]...
>> >
>> > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote

> in
>> > message news:[email protected]...
>> > <snip>

>> risk,
>> go
>> > >
>> > Exactly!!! I blow dry my hair, while standing in a puddle of water.

>> That puddle ain't water...
>>

> Shaun, you totally missed the sarcasm?

And you missed the funny British humour!
--
Slacker

On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 21:20:04 -0600, laffing@you <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:mJsPd.31$d%[email protected]...
>> >
>> > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote

> in
>> > message news:[email protected]...
>> > <snip>

>> risk,
>> go
>> > >
>> > Exactly!!! I blow dry my hair, while standing in a puddle of water.

>> That puddle ain't water...
>>

> Shaun, you totally missed the sarcasm?

And you missed the funny British humour!
--
Slacker

I'm tired tonight.........

"laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:mJsPd.31$d%[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote

> in
> > > message news:[email protected]...
> > > <snip>

risk,
> > go
> > > >
> > > Exactly!!! I blow dry my hair, while standing in a puddle of water.

> > That puddle ain't water...
> >

> Shaun, you totally missed the sarcasm?

Me? - Not a chance mate, I just couldn't resist the chance for a little
humour ',;~}~

Shaun aRe

"laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> wrote
> > > in

> > risk,

water.

> > > Shaun, you totally missed the sarcasm?

> > Me? - Not a chance mate, I just couldn't resist the chance for a little
> > humour ',;~}~
> >

> Well ya got me.

Ach! Can I let you go again now please?!?

',;~}~

Shaun aRe

"Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > wrote

of
> > > risk,

> water.

> > > Me? - Not a chance mate, I just couldn't resist the chance for a

little
> > > humour ',;~}~
> > >

> > Well ya got me.

> Ach! Can I let you go again now please?!?

Yes, please do!1!

"laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "laffing@you" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > "Shaun aRe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

<[email protected]>
> > > wrote

level
> of

> > water.

> little
> > > >
> > > Well ya got me.

> > Ach! Can I let you go again now please?!?
> >

> Yes, please do!1!

'K!

Just put the exit toll in that box over there >>>>

TY!

Shaun aRe