Re: Changing forks on a MTB

James Thomson

Guest
"Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've never done this before but I'm guessing it's a pretty
> straightforward job. I'd rather do it myself than get my
> LBS to do it if I can. Are there any gotchas I should be
> aware of? The forks seem to have recently developed about
> 1/2" of unsprung travel when I lift the front of the bike off the
> ground so I'm going to replace them with some rigids.

> FWIW I've got a 1994 Saracen Sahara MTB (front suss only)
> with road tyres which I use for commuting, general pootling
> around and the odd 20-30 mile jaunt, mainly on roads but the
> occasional towpath.

Is your current fork threaded or threadless? A bike made in '94 could be
either, but is probably more likely to be the former:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headtypes.shtml

In either case, you'll find fairly exhaustive instructions here:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

James Thomson

"James Thomson" <[email protected]> writes:

> "Chris Eilbeck" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I've never done this before but I'm guessing it's a pretty
>> straightforward job. I'd rather do it myself than get my
>> LBS to do it if I can. Are there any gotchas I should be
>> aware of? The forks seem to have recently developed about
>> 1/2" of unsprung travel when I lift the front of the bike off the
>> ground so I'm going to replace them with some rigids.

>> FWIW I've got a 1994 Saracen Sahara MTB (front suss only)
>> with road tyres which I use for commuting, general pootling
>> around and the odd 20-30 mile jaunt, mainly on roads but the
>> occasional towpath.

> Is your current fork threaded or threadless? A bike made in '94
> could be either, but is probably more likely to be the former:
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headtypes.shtml

I've not taken it apart yet.

> In either case, you'll find fairly exhaustive instructions here:
>
> http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

This is looking like a whole load more effort than I really want to go
to. Thanks for the feedback. Looks like a job for the LBS.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck
MARS Flight Crew http://www.mars.org.uk/