Re: Cheap dual bikes vs Claude Butler

Simon Brooke

Guest
in message <[email protected]>, [email protected]

http://www.dealtime.co.uk/xDN-Sports_and_Outdoors--14088_price_range_above_300-14068_men

> I'm seeing a *lot* of cheaper bikes for £70, 26ins, 24 speed that also
> have dual suspension and shimano gears. Is there much difference
> between the cheaper bikes and the hand made Claude Butlers?

Oh, heck it's _way_ more complex than that.

Yes, there is a difference. Claud Butlers are not really hand made these
days, but most Claud Butlers are at least reasonably well made. There
are really excellent bikes and real bargains in the current Claud
Butler range.

*However*, 'Claude Butler' is not the same as 'Claud Butler', and there
is no 'Supermoto' model (or anything like it) in the current Claud
Butler range. I don't know for certain but I suspect that Claud Butler
never had anything to do with your bike and you have simply been ripped
off by con merchants.

So, to the detail of your bike:

You cannot get a usable full suspension bike under about a thousand
pounds. Not because you are being ripped off, but because suspension
which works well enough to be any use while being light enough for a
bike people can actually ride is simply very expensive to make.

So what's good about the Supermoto as compared to the cheaper bikes?
Well, it's got an aluminium frame as opposed to a 'Hi-ten' steel one,
so it should be a bit lighter. It has at least got the suspension pivot
in the right place, which means that it shouldn't bob too badly while
being ridden, although it will almost certainly still bob a bit.

Basically this is a bike tricked up to look good in the showroom, with
components which to the inexperienced look similar to those on full
suspension bikes which actually work.

The design of this (and all the other cheap 'Y' frame bikes you see
around) is basically ripped off from the Cannondale Super V. Cannondale
no longer make the Super V. Why not? The frame was too heavy (complete
bike weighed typically over 30lbs). So Cannondale replaced the Super V
with the Raven, which was an essentially similar design but made of
magnesium and carbon fibre, and it was _still_ too heavy. So Cannondale
replaced the Raven with the Jekyll, which had a more complex and better
braced aluminium frame (and is what I ride), and this was too expensive
to make so this year it's been replaced by the Prophet, which is a much
simpler design. And costs nearly two thousand pounds.

The whole problem with the 'Y' frame design is the interrupted seat
tube. It means the full weight of the rider is on the end of a
cantilever arm, and you can't make that arm both strong and light.

So, essentially, the Supermoto is a design four generations out of date,
cheaply made, fitted with too-heavy, cheaply made parts. It looks
flashy, but that's about the only good things about it.

If you want a real bargain mountain bike in this year's Claud Butler
range, look at the Cape Wrath
<URL:http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/product.php?c.id=3&s.id=1&p.id=106>
It's got a well made, lightweight frame, excellent frame design, and
very good quality componentry for more or less the same price as the
Supermoto. It's a much better bike altogether - one which is you really
can ride up in the hills.

;; Perl ... is the Brittney Spears of programming - easily accessible
;; but, in the final analysis, empty of any significant thought
;; Frank Adrian on Slashdot, 21st July 2003

> So, essentially, the Supermoto is a design four generations out of date,
> cheaply made, fitted with too-heavy, cheaply made parts. It looks
> flashy, but that's about the only good things about it.
>
> If you want a real bargain mountain bike in this year's Claud Butler
> range, look at the Cape Wrath
> <URL:http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/product.php?c.id=3&s.id=1&p.id=106>
> It's got a well made, lightweight frame, excellent frame design, and
> very good quality componentry for more or less the same price as the
> Supermoto. It's a much better bike altogether - one which is you really
> can ride up in the hills.

To be fair - these bikes were only designed to ride downhill where the
weight is not an issue. My mate saw loads of them in USA where people put
them on their SUVs, drive up to the top of a mountain and ride them down.
The problem comes when they become fashionable and people want to ride them
around as daily transport.

--
Simon M.

>*However*, 'Claude Butler' is not the same as 'Claud Butler', and there
>is no 'Supermoto' model (or anything like it) in the current Claud
>Butler range. I don't know for certain but I suspect that Claud Butler
>never had anything to do with your bike and you have simply been ripped
>off by con merchants.

It would seem highly unlikely that anyone would try to sell a bike
called a Claude Butler against actual Claud butler bikes. Falcon
cycles would easily take any sellers/importers to the cleaners legally
and financially. The supermoto model is most likely an exclusive
catalogue model probably 100% imported and just an exercise in cashing
in for Claud Butler/Falcon. Its part of their CBR range and you can
download the manual at the falconcycles site.

I would guess the arrangement is that catalogues won't compete with
bike shops as they want a higher margin so Falcon do them an exclusive
range which people can't compare prices on. Falcon cycles know that
the model in question is not well speced for the price so hide it
under the carpet and not promote it on their site but support owners
with pdf manual downloads.

Simon Mason wrote:

> To be fair - these bikes were only designed to ride downhill where the
> weight is not an issue.

ITYM "these bikes were only designed to look like bikes that were only
designed to ride downhill where the weight is not an issue".

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Mason wrote:
>
>> To be fair - these bikes were only designed to ride downhill where
>> the weight is not an issue.

> ITYM "these bikes were only designed to look like bikes that were only
> designed to ride downhill where the weight is not an issue".

Wot 'e says. The cheap Y framed jobbies are mostly not suitable for
hardcore downhilling not merely because the suspension isn't up to it
but because the cantilevered arm on which the seatpost is carried isn't
strong enough, and if it busts you're in big trouble.

;; Diplomacy, American: see Intelligence, Military

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> *However*, 'Claude Butler' is not the same as 'Claud Butler', and there
> is no 'Supermoto' model (or anything like it) in the current Claud
> Butler range. I don't know for certain but I suspect that Claud Butler
> never had anything to do with your bike and you have simply been ripped
> off by con merchants.

These cheaper full-sus MTBs are a brand of the same firm that owns
Falcon, etc. , but go by the nametag 'CBR'. As you say, their 'Claud
Butler' range is a different kettle of fish altogether (Shame they
don't make the Roubaix steel road frame any more - that was *very*
nice; Reynolds 853 throughout, straight blade 'power' forks, Prugnat
spear-point lugs. Probably CB's last effort in high-end steel before
everything went over to Oria 7005 aluminium).

David E. Belcher

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 10:05:03 +0000, Simon Brooke wrote:

> If you want a real bargain mountain bike in this year's Claud Butler
> range, look at the Cape Wrath
> <URL:http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/product.php?c.id=3&s.id=1&p.id=106>
> It's got a well made, lightweight frame, excellent frame design, and
> very good quality componentry for more or less the same price as the
> Supermoto. It's a much better bike altogether - one which is you really
> can ride up in the hills.

As an owner of a Cape Wrath I really do recommend them as a
"Good Bike For The Money".

However I don't tend to use mine for serious offroading (don't have the
skills or the guts to try it!), but it copes very well with offroad
forest trails / single track even with loaded panniers!

Good bike, should be able to get a 2004 model pretty cheap.

--
Brian

Horrible bike, absolute junk.
Get a second hand hardtail.

cheers

> > *However*, 'Claude Butler' is not the same as 'Claud Butler', and there

I would not like the op to get depressed about his bargain bike,
though.You could pay thousands for a bike that didn't suit the
purpose.Find out what you most enjoy doing on it.If you are going to
potter about locally on easy trails and footpaths connected by roads
such bikes are fine and affordable.If you get the bug you will find
yourself looking up market and at different sorts of bike.
My boys have insisted on having something fairly similar to yours so
they can hang about with their friends, and they all go out on 20mile
picnics occasionally.
My sensible bike started as a 220gbp claude butler hybrid.I don't have
a valuable bike, but do plenty of miles.

TerryJ

Terry wrote:
>>>*However*, 'Claude Butler' is not the same as 'Claud Butler', and there

> I would not like the op to get depressed about his bargain bike,
> though.You could pay thousands for a bike that didn't suit the
> purpose.Find out what you most enjoy doing on it.If you are going to
> potter about locally on easy trails and footpaths connected by roads
> such bikes are fine and affordable.If you get the bug you will find
> yourself looking up market and at different sorts of bike.
> My boys have insisted on having something fairly similar to yours so
> they can hang about with their friends, and they all go out on 20mile
> picnics occasionally.
> My sensible bike started as a 220gbp claude butler hybrid.I don't have
> a valuable bike, but do plenty of miles.
>
> TerryJ

Hummm, my Scout trailing bike is a dual susp. CBR, its not the ultimate,
but then neither am I any more....I also have several non-susp. bikes
for when I'm travelling into areas where I can't secure it effectively,
neither of which are brilliant, but are suitable for intended use.

Niel.

njf>badger< wrote:

> Hummm, my Scout trailing bike is a dual susp. CBR, its not the ultimate,
> but then neither am I any more...

The point is you could probably be slightly more ultimate than you
manage to be on the trails if you'd spent the same amount of money on
something with less weight and better transmission instead of extra
springs to make it go "boing".

IMHO this will likely hold true up to values of Real Money rather
greater than cost of anything from "CBR".

Pete.
--

On 22 Oct 2004 03:29:18 -0700, [email protected] (Terry) wrote:

>> > *However*, 'Claude Butler' is not the same as 'Claud Butler', and there

>I would not like the op to get depressed about his bargain bike,
>though.You could pay thousands for a bike that didn't suit the
>purpose.Find out what you most enjoy doing on it.If you are going to
>potter about locally on easy trails and footpaths connected by roads
>such bikes are fine and affordable.If you get the bug you will find
>yourself looking up market and at different sorts of bike.
>My boys have insisted on having something fairly similar to yours so
>they can hang about with their friends, and they all go out on 20mile
>picnics occasionally.
>My sensible bike started as a 220gbp claude butler hybrid.I don't have
>a valuable bike, but do plenty of miles.
>
>TerryJ

Thats basically my view too. As he has already bought the bike the
message should be get on it and enjoy it. I find it hard to dislike a
bike as long as it works. Some might be heavier than others but for
people like me trying to lose weight that isn't a bad thing. It looks
good as a fun bike that you can ride anywhere.

Martin Wilson wrote:

> Thats basically my view too. As he has already bought the bike the
> message should be get on it and enjoy it. I find it hard to dislike a
> bike as long as it works.

Though if it's still Mucho Shiny it may be possible to sell it on at
cost and buy something that works /better/ with the same money. If
that's not possible though then getting on with it is a good option as
long as the OP is happy to keep riding it.

For all my tirades against these things they're still a lot better than,
say, a 1901 Ordinary, and people used those okay.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

> say, a 1901 Ordinary, and people used those okay.

I can't go back that far, but I did c5000miles a year as a student on a 1960
raleigh 3 speed with steel rims and was quite peeved when it was stolen
after about 10years.Now I would regard it as most primitive.

But compared to that my cyclocross bike was a real piece of junk.I bet I
still went faster than now for a short distance.

TerryJ