Re: Children learning to ride

Steve Rumsby

Guest
wheelsgoround wrote:
> In the current issue of Cycle, Chris Juden says the best way for kids

> learn to ride a bike is with no stabilisers and no pedals so that

they
> can learn balancing, steering and braking first. Once they have got
> the knack of that, pedals are added.
>
> When I got a bike for my 3-year-old, I just put stabilisers on it
> without thinking but I think I'll give Chris' sugesstion a go.
>
> Anyone got any experiences they would like to share?

My experience is that stabilisers don't actually help a child to learn
to balance, but they do help a child learn to pedal, steer and brake.
My daughter spent a couple of years on a bike with stabilisers. What we
did to get rid of the stabilisers was take them off (obviously:), drop
the saddle down as low as possible (so she had confidence she wouldn't
fall over) and take her to a field. It took maybe half an hour of
wobbling about before she got the hang of it, and she's never looked
back.

My son, after about a year of pedalling about with stabilisers, is
going to get the same treatment this summer, if only because his
stabilisers are now broken and I don't want to buy another set!
Steve.