Re: chinese fried rice - Is it healthy?

Sheldon

Guest
Toddlers_mom wrote:
> It is my favourite take out dish.
> But i have no idea on how much oil they use. Do they fry their rice

in
> oil as well or are just the vegetables stir fried in oil and mixed

with
> the rice.
> Taste wise, the guess would be that they add lot of oil.

After checking nearly a dozen recipes it seems 2 Tbls oil per 4 cups
cooked rice is typical... everything fried together. Fried rice is not
a very hihg fat dish. The secret is in using rather dry rice and a
very hot pan. Chinese restaurnts prepare a huge quantity at once but
keep it moist throuhgout the day by keeping it covered and constantly
adding a bit of broth.

> But I have seen very rarely chinese people being overweight.

The Chinese are no less over weight than Americans, in fact over weight
Chinese are more typically morbidly obese.

My theory on why over weightedness has become so prevalent in the US is
due to Selective Darwinism... more and more people are selecting mates
whose earning potential is higher and therefore they are more and more
discarding those who are in better physical condition. Most typically
those who labor for a living are in far better physical condtion than
desk dwellers. And most typically desk dwellers earn far more than
physical laborers. Naturally there are always exceptions but those are
exceptions, not the rule... second and third generation desk dwellers
are pretty much guaranteed to produce fatsos. Unfortunately this
society does not reward physical well being. Industry hires the young
and physically fit specimens for relatively low pay. I have a neighbor
whose son is a plumber's helper. He's very physically fit and is
always showing off how much he can lift , but has the IQ of a tree. I
keep telling him to get an education, because when his physical ability
fades, and indeed it most assuredly will, his boss will trade him in
for a newer fork lift.

Sheldon

"Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My theory on why over weightedness has become so prevalent in the US is
>due to Selective Darwinism...

I've heard a lot of BS theories about overweight America on various
"news" shows. Your theory is one I never thought of, and makes more
sense than any I have ever heard. Sheldon, ya gonna be a philosopher
next? <G>

AlleyGator wrote:
> "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >My theory on why over weightedness has become so prevalent in the US

is
> >due to Selective Darwinism...

> I've heard a lot of BS theories about overweight America on various
> "news" shows. Your theory is one I never thought of, and makes more
> sense than any I have ever heard. Sheldon, ya gonna be a philosopher
> next? <G>

Shhh... not so loud... they're gonna want me for the next Pope. hehe

Sheldo-Socratic II