Re: Chocolate

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Opinicus, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Opinicus

    Opinicus Guest

    Kidding aside, are there any scientific studies on chocolate
    "liking" (I won't say "addiction") and physiology/psychology
    etc? It's quite obvious, even from the few responses in this
    thread, that there's a big divide between people who "really
    like" chocolate and everybody else. (My own anecdotal
    experience is the same.)

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

    Tags:

  2. greg

    greg Guest

    Opinicus wrote:
    > Kidding aside, are there any scientific studies on chocolate "liking" (I
    > won't say "addiction") and physiology/psychology etc?

    Why not say it? That's what it is. That's how our body gets us to do the
    things it wants us to do. Without these mechanisms we would forget to
    eat, just like we forget to take out the garbage.

  3. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I've heard it said (and by at least two candy store operators) that
    women seem to prefer milk chocolate, while men tend more towards dark.
    A rule with exceptions, of course. My wife prefers dark, as do I. I
    think also it's a matter of what you're exposed to. I see dark as more
    "gourmet", to use a value laden term. If all you've experienced in the
    way of "chocolate" is Hostess snack cakes, off the shelf cake mixes,
    cookies, puddings etc., and vending machine crap like M&M's, Snickers
    and so on, dark chocolate may strike you as bitter at first. Also
    there's the issue of "tasters" and "non-tasters", a genetic difference
    which may account for one's preferences, though I haven't heard it
    specifically mentioned as regards chocolate.

    http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s369.htm

    Dan

    Opinicus wrote:
    > Kidding aside, are there any scientific studies on chocolate "liking" (I
    > won't say "addiction") and physiology/psychology etc? It's quite
    > obvious, even from the few responses in this thread, that there's a big
    > divide between people who "really like" chocolate and everybody else.
    > (My own anecdotal experience is the same.)

  4. Bob M

    Bob M Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:16:32 -0500, Dan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've heard it said (and by at least two candy store operators) that
    > women seem to prefer milk chocolate, while men tend more towards dark. A
    > rule with exceptions, of course. My wife prefers dark, as do I. I
    > think also it's a matter of what you're exposed to. I see dark as more
    > "gourmet", to use a value laden term. If all you've experienced in the
    > way of "chocolate" is Hostess snack cakes, off the shelf cake mixes,
    > cookies, puddings etc., and vending machine crap like M&M's, Snickers
    > and so on, dark chocolate may strike you as bitter at first. Also
    > there's the issue of "tasters" and "non-tasters", a genetic difference
    > which may account for one's preferences, though I haven't heard it
    > specifically mentioned as regards chocolate.
    >
    > http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s369.htm
    >
    > Dan

    I was looking for that link! Thanks, Dan.

    --
    Bob in CT

  5. Dan

    Dan Guest

    I should rephrase that 1st part, what I meant was of those who prefer
    dark chocolate, the majority tend to be male, not most men prefer dark.
    In general my guess is more people prefer milk chocolate, again
    because of what they've been exposed to, regardless of gender.

    Dan

    Dan wrote:
    > I've heard it said (and by at least two candy store operators) that
    > women seem to prefer milk chocolate, while men tend more towards dark. A
    > rule with exceptions, of course. My wife prefers dark, as do I. I
    > think also it's a matter of what you're exposed to. I see dark as more
    > "gourmet", to use a value laden term. If all you've experienced in the
    > way of "chocolate" is Hostess snack cakes, off the shelf cake mixes,
    > cookies, puddings etc., and vending machine crap like M&M's, Snickers
    > and so on, dark chocolate may strike you as bitter at first. Also
    > there's the issue of "tasters" and "non-tasters", a genetic difference
    > which may account for one's preferences, though I haven't heard it
    > specifically mentioned as regards chocolate.
    >
    > http://www.abc.net.au/rn/talks/8.30/helthrpt/stories/s369.htm
    >
    > Dan
    >
    > Opinicus wrote:
    >
    >> Kidding aside, are there any scientific studies on chocolate "liking"
    >> (I won't say "addiction") and physiology/psychology etc? It's quite
    >> obvious, even from the few responses in this thread, that there's a
    >> big divide between people who "really like" chocolate and everybody
    >> else. (My own anecdotal experience is the same.)

  6. Dan

    Dan Guest

  7. Opinicus

    Opinicus Guest

    "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote
    ..
    > I've heard it said (and by at least two candy store
    > operators) that women seem to prefer milk chocolate, while
    > men tend more towards dark. A rule with exceptions, of
    > course. My wife prefers dark, as do I. I think also it's
    > a matter of what you're exposed to. I see dark as more

    This makes chocolate sound like "The Force". (There's a Dark
    Side and a Light Side and it holds everything together.)

    --
    Bob

    Kanyak's Doghouse
    http://www.kanyak.com

  8. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Dan wrote:
    :: I should rephrase that 1st part, what I meant was of those who prefer
    :: dark chocolate, the majority tend to be male, not most men prefer
    :: dark. In general my guess is more people prefer milk chocolate,
    :: again because of what they've been exposed to, regardless of gender.
    ::

    I know I prefer mile chocolate simply because I've eat enough of it.

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Opinicus" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote
    > .
    > > I've heard it said (and by at least two candy store
    > > operators) that women seem to prefer milk chocolate, while
    > > men tend more towards dark. A rule with exceptions, of
    > > course. My wife prefers dark, as do I. I think also it's
    > > a matter of what you're exposed to. I see dark as more

    > This makes chocolate sound like "The Force". (There's a Dark
    > Side and a Light Side and it holds everything together.)

    Yeah, well, what's your point? ;-)

    Priscilla
    --
    "You can't welcome someone into a body of Christ and then say only
    certain rooms are open." -- dancertm in alt.religion.christian.episcopal

  10. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Oh, I DEFINITELY lean towards the Dark Side ;-)

    Dan

    Opinicus wrote:
    > "Dan" <[email protected]> wrote
    > .
    >
    >> I've heard it said (and by at least two candy store operators) that
    >> women seem to prefer milk chocolate, while men tend more towards dark.
    >> A rule with exceptions, of course. My wife prefers dark, as do I. I
    >> think also it's a matter of what you're exposed to. I see dark as more

    > This makes chocolate sound like "The Force". (There's a Dark Side and a
    > Light Side and it holds everything together.)

  11. Saffire

    Saffire Guest

    says...
    > Kidding aside, are there any scientific studies on chocolate
    > "liking" (I won't say "addiction") and physiology/psychology
    > etc? It's quite obvious, even from the few responses in this
    > thread, that there's a big divide between people who "really
    > like" chocolate and everybody else. (My own anecdotal
    > experience is the same.)

    Chocolate IS addictive. I had gotten into the habit of making and
    eating my own version of chocolate bars for several months now and made
    myself go cold turkey a several days ago because I was eating more and
    more of it and it was really affecting my calories (and carbs, but
    mostly calories). I had a nasty caffiene headache for 2 days (so I
    added regular coffee to the mix, which I've now managed to get down to
    1/2-caf--1/2 decaf.

    Last night I wanted something sweet, but not too much because I was
    going to bed and I've been very good about resisting making up a new
    batch of bars (I have a veritable stockpile of ingredients for it and
    it's quick and easy to make). Instead, I mixed 2 tbl of plain yogurt
    with 1/2 tsp of dutch cocoa powder and some Sweetzfree liquid Splenda --
    it was GREAT! I'm going to have to experiment some more with THAT.
    I've been working on a box of Droste cocoa powder since last fall, but
    my son gave me son premium dutch cocoa powder for Christmas -- I think
    it's time to open it to see what it's like.

    --
    Saffire
    205/144/125 - 5'1.5"

  12. On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:16:32 -0500, Dan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've heard it said (and by at least two candy store operators) that
    >women seem to prefer milk chocolate, while men tend more towards dark.
    >A rule with exceptions, of course. My wife prefers dark, as do I. I
    >think also it's a matter of what you're exposed to.

    I prefer dark. I will eat milk chocolate too, and I do like Hershey's
    very much. But give me a good dark chocolate, and I will be very
    happy.

    There are some chocolates I do not like at all. Whitman's, Palmers,
    etc. And I don't care for most candy bars or candies. I would much
    rather eat a plain chocolate bar than a bar with other junk in it.
    Just give me the chocolate :)

    --
    Meghan & the Zoo Crew
    Equine and Pet Photography