Re: cholesterol and weight

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by lurker.poultrytamer, Feb 16, 2005.

  1. Bob Mann wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:04:22 -0800, Lurker
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Hey Bob,
    >>
    >>I thought that the timing between our posts was very coincidental! I
    >>started eating differently on October 1st. last year. Haven't had fried
    >>food, or soda since among other changes. The reason that I had gone to
    >>the doctor in the first place was frustration with my weight. I had been
    >>in the gym 5-7 days a week since Oct. 1st and hadn't lost more than
    >>5lbs. I was readjusting my calorie count every 3-4 weeks and had it down
    >>to 2200-2600 a day by the time I went to see him. (At that time I was
    >>6'2" 300lbs. I am 31yo btw.)
    >>
    >>So I went in to have thyroid/liver/kidney/diabetes blood work done in
    >>order to start ruling out possibilities for my stubborn body's refusal
    >>to shed pounds. I told him that I had never had my cholesterol tested
    >>and that we should go ahead and do that too since we were drawing blood.
    >>It was the only thing that came back abnormal.
    >>
    >>As a side note. I did the 12 hour fast before the blood work. It wasn't
    >>as bad as I thought it should be so I kept doing it everyday since. This
    >>has effectively kept my calories around 1200-1500 each day. My weight
    >>has finally started moving. In fact quite quickly.
    >>
    >>The doctor says I am nuts for keeping my calories that low, but doesn't
    >>have any other answers on how to get my weight to start coming off. He
    >>is asking around to his peers to see if anyone else has any ideas/plans
    >>of attack.
    >>
    >>He kept telling me that I didn't seem overweight, that I had an nfl
    >>lineman's build. And I kept countering with the fact that I don't care
    >>what I look like or seem, but that 29% bf was unacceptable and unhealthy
    >>and something had to be done in order to avoid ending up like my folks
    >>at 65. They are both quite overweight and have developed adult onset
    >>diabetes. My mother to the point of being insulin dependant. This he
    >>agreed with, but didn't have any answers.
    >>
    >>Lurker

    > I wouldn't consider myself overweight and neither does my doctor but
    > I'm not happy with how thw weight sits on me so I need to do something
    > about it.
    >
    > The 12 hour fast is okay I guess but as long as you don't take in
    > simple carbs right before bed you should be okay.
    > I prefer to have a decent breakfast before going to work.
    > I usually have a snack mid morning but I have switched that to having
    > a small meal just like lunch and a snack mid-afternoon.
    > As long as I keep the calories below 1000 before supper I'm okay.
    > I'll usually have a decent supper and then a small snack a couple of
    > hoursor so later.
    >
    > If cutting late snacks and early breakfast has cut 1000 calories those
    > must have been some snacks.

    Everyone tells me that I don't look overweight. But I know what I weigh,
    and I know what my bf% is. Besides, I am doing this for me, not for
    anyone else. With the obvious exception of making sure that I am still
    around for my wife and kid.

    Lately my eating has been some of whatever was left over from the night
    before (usually foremaned chicken breast) and some brocolli for lunch.
    If I am really hungry at two an apple and non fat/light yogurt, and for
    dinner a chicken breast a spinach salad with olive oil and vinegar some
    more brocolli and maybe about a half cup of pasta salad. Nothing but
    water to drink all day. Then after I get back from the gym I have more
    water and a Lipitor.

    I am finding that I don't really miss breakfast that much. And all I do
    is sit in front of a cad worksatation all day so it isn't like I am
    running marathons on an empty stomach. I am hungry by lunch time, but
    not knawing on my desk hungry.

    I get my body fat tested every six weeks. I plan on adjusting after my
    next test on March 5th. based on what the bf% reduction vs. total weight
    loss is.

    Lurker

    Tags:

  2. Bob Mann

    Bob Mann Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:44:59 -0800, "lurker.poultrytamer"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Everyone tells me that I don't look overweight. But I know what I weigh,
    >and I know what my bf% is. Besides, I am doing this for me, not for
    >anyone else. With the obvious exception of making sure that I am still
    >around for my wife and kid.

    Good reasons.

    >Lately my eating has been some of whatever was left over from the night
    >before (usually foremaned chicken breast) and some brocolli for lunch.
    >If I am really hungry at two an apple and non fat/light yogurt, and for
    >dinner a chicken breast a spinach salad with olive oil and vinegar some
    >more brocolli and maybe about a half cup of pasta salad. Nothing but
    >water to drink all day. Then after I get back from the gym I have more
    >water and a Lipitor.

    Doesn't sound that different from me except for breakfast

    >I am finding that I don't really miss breakfast that much. And all I do
    >is sit in front of a cad worksatation all day so it isn't like I am
    >running marathons on an empty stomach. I am hungry by lunch time, but
    >not knawing on my desk hungry.

    And I sit in front of a PC all day.

    >I get my body fat tested every six weeks. I plan on adjusting after my
    >next test on March 5th. based on what the bf% reduction vs. total weight
    >loss is.
    >
    >Lurker

    Haven't had BF tested for a long time but I know it is way up from 3
    years ago when I started getting injuries.
    --
    Bob Mann
    Help save trees. Wipe your ass with an owl.