Re: Cholesterol rose with low carb



D

Deb

Guest
What do you consider low carb? I'm asking because if you truly stayed low
carb for 7 months you should have lost more than 8 pounds irregardless of
how much you needed to lose. What amount of carb did you allow yourself each
day and how carefully did you stick to it?


"Piotr Tomaszewski" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I went low carbing about 7 months ago and lost 8 lbs. I did not have very
> much to lose. My cholesterol rose from 173 to 286, HDL stayed about same
> at 61, and LDL rose from 107 to 218. My trigs went lower from 85 to
> 58. I am concerned for my health and am considering switching my diet. Is
> there someone else who had similar problems.
>
>
> --
> Piotr T
> 
>
 
D

Deb

Guest
While 50 to 60 grams is a lot lower than most people eat it is not low
enough for weight lose.

Read Atkins or South Beach. Most people need to stay at or below 20 to lose
weight. At 50 or 60 grams you would have enough carbs to severely slow down
weight loss. Remember only 20 per cent of your chol. comes from what you
eat. That's why so many cholesterol lowering diets failed and so many people
are on meds. If your numbers are way up there there has to be more at work
that just diet.


"Ignoramus8229" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:53:12 -0600, Deb <[email protected]>

wrote:

> I low carbed for 5 months, eating about 50-60 grams of carbs, and have
> not lost a single pound. (which is fine with me, I am at normal weight).
>
> --
> 223/172.6/180
 
P

Priscilla Ballou

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
"Deb" <[email protected]> wrote:

> While 50 to 60 grams is a lot lower than most people eat it is not low
> enough for weight lose.
>
> Read Atkins or South Beach. Most people need to stay at or below 20 to lose
> weight.


Really? I don't think so. From everything I've read here 20 grams/day
is the 2-week induction period, not OWL.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal
 
F

FOB

Guest
Nonsense, Atkins says to start at 20 and after two weeks add 5 per week
until you stop losing, then drop back 5.

In news:[email protected],
Deb <[email protected]> stated
| While 50 to 60 grams is a lot lower than most people eat it is not low
| enough for weight lose.
|
| Read Atkins or South Beach. Most people need to stay at or below 20
| to lose weight. At 50 or 60 grams you would have enough carbs to
| severely slow down weight loss. Remember only 20 per cent of your
| chol. comes from what you eat. That's why so many cholesterol
| lowering diets failed and so many people are on meds. If your numbers
| are way up there there has to be more at work that just diet.
|
|
| "Ignoramus8229" <[email protected]> wrote in message
| news:[email protected]
|| On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 13:53:12 -0600, Deb
|| <[email protected]> wrote:
|
|| I low carbed for 5 months, eating about 50-60 grams of carbs, and
|| have not lost a single pound. (which is fine with me, I am at normal
|| weight).
||
|| --
|| 223/172.6/180
 
D

DJ Delorie

Guest
"Deb" <[email protected]> writes:
> Read Atkins or South Beach. Most people need to stay at or below 20
> to lose weight.


Atkins doesn't say that. After the first two weeks, Atkins requires
you to INCREASE your carbs to find your ideal weight loss point.
That's the CCLL. He notes that *some* people can't get into KETOSIS
at 20g/day, and *those* people need to go lower just to get through
Induction.

He also says to eat only enough to satisfy, but people keep forgetting
that important part of the diet.
 
D

Deb

Guest
I have been here and on low carb mailing lists for the last several years. I
am here not for weight loss but because I am diabetic.In that time it seems
to me that very few of those low carbing to lose weight go much over 20 or
30 grams a day.

But anecdotal evidence aside here's the directions for OWL from the Atkins
site.
<Add carbohydrate, in the form of nutrient-dense and fiber-rich foods, by
increasing to 25 grams daily the first week, 30 grams daily the next week
and so on until weight loss stops. Then subtract 5 grams of carbohydrate
from your daily intake so that you continue sustained, moderate weight
loss.>

Also under the Atkins section on OWL there is a chart
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-61563.html It says the average OWL
carb count is 15 to 40. With those who exercise a great deal (over 45 min
vigorously 5 days a week) or lose weight very easily therefore having low
metabolic resistance, it can go over 40 BUT at her average of only approx.
1 pound a month loss, this person was obviously NOT low resistance. In fact
it sounds more like she is high resistance and should have stuck to 15,
which is the recommended amount during OWL for those with high resistance.

BTW Induction is supposed to be not OVER 20. Lots of people go less.

"Priscilla Ballou" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Really? I don't think so. From everything I've read here 20 grams/day
> is the 2-week induction period, not OWL.
 
D

Deb

Guest
Absolutely. In fact I copied this from the Atkins website in a previous
post. BUT this person only lost 8 pounds in 7 months. She obviusly was
eating too many carbs for her to lose weight effectively. Please in spite of
what Atkins said is allowed many people who are successful with weight loss
do not eat the max that is allowed.

I stand by what I said - if she only lost 8 pounds in 7 months she wasn't
doing it right when she increased her carb load to 60. As you said, in OWL
Atkins tells you to increase by fives AS LONG AS YOU ARE STILL LOSING WEIGHT
and then to cut back by five. At 1/4 a pound a week she wasn't losing enough
weight each week for it to show on her scales every week so why did she keep
increasing her carbs all the way up to 60 a day? Read the website - they
don't address weight lose by ounces but by pounds. They talk about people
losing from 4 to more then 8 pounds just during induction.

So all you guys who keep correcting me - Do you really think she should have
increased her carbs to 60 with that tiny a weight loss? Would you in her
place? Its not what Atkins tell you to do.


"FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Nonsense, Atkins says to start at 20 and after two weeks add 5 per week
> until you stop losing, then drop back 5.
 
F

FOB

Guest
In news:[email protected],
Deb <[email protected]> stated
| Absolutely. In fact I copied this from the Atkins website in a
| previous post. BUT this person only lost 8 pounds in 7 months. She
| obviusly was eating too many carbs for her to lose weight
| effectively. Please in spite of what Atkins said is allowed many
| people who are successful with weight loss do not eat the max that is
| allowed.

The OP didn't say how much he had to lose, he didn't sound unhappy about the
weight loss, just was concerned about the cholesterol levels. You are
making wildass assumptions.
|
| I stand by what I said - if she only lost 8 pounds in 7 months she
| wasn't doing it right when she increased her carb load to 60. As you
| said, in OWL Atkins tells you to increase by fives AS LONG AS YOU ARE
| STILL LOSING WEIGHT and then to cut back by five. At 1/4 a pound a
| week she wasn't losing enough weight each week for it to show on her
| scales every week so why did she keep increasing her carbs all the
| way up to 60 a day? Read the website - they don't address weight lose
| by ounces but by pounds. They talk about people losing from 4 to more
| then 8 pounds just during induction.

It was Iggy who ate 60 grams a day, the OP didn't say how many grams he ate.
And Atkins did NOT say to stay at 20.

|
| So all you guys who keep correcting me - Do you really think she
| should have increased her carbs to 60 with that tiny a weight loss?
| Would you in her place? Its not what Atkins tell you to do.
 
J

jamie

Guest
Deb <[email protected]> wrote:
> While 50 to 60 grams is a lot lower than most people eat it is not low
> enough for weight lose.
>
> Read Atkins or South Beach. Most people need to stay at or below 20 to lose
> weight.


There is nothing like that in Atkins' books. And a great deal of
people stall by staying below 20 for an extended time, and start
losing again when they ease up to 30 or 40.

--
jamie ([email protected])

"There's a seeker born every minute."
 
J

jamie

Guest
Deb <[email protected]> wrote:
> Absolutely. In fact I copied this from the Atkins website in a previous
> post. BUT this person only lost 8 pounds in 7 months. She obviusly was
> eating too many carbs for her to lose weight effectively. Please in spite of
> what Atkins said is allowed many people who are successful with weight loss
> do not eat the max that is allowed.


By and large, people staying at 20 tend to pad their meals and snacks
with a lot more fatty items, than they would if they had a few more
carbs and veggie portions to work with.

True "resistant" people are few. Most are resistant to not overeating
cheese, cream, nuts and other fatty calories.

168/125/125 7 years: LC since 2/18/97 maintaining since 3/17/99
--
jamie ([email protected])

"There's a seeker born every minute."
 
D

Deb

Guest
"FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

>
> The OP didn't say how much he had to lose, he didn't sound unhappy about

the
> weight loss, just was concerned about the cholesterol levels. You are
> making wildass assumptions.


I never thought they were unhappy about the weight loss. I was trying to
point out that maybe based on the tiny weight loss over such a long time
that they weren't truely low carbing and therefore maybe low carb didn't
cause the chol increase. I also mentioned that only 20 per cent of your chol
comes from your diet anyway so evern if diet were a factor I doubt diet
alone could have made that much of a difference. Apparently in an effort
not to be too wordy I wasn't clear. If you google my posts on the thread I
think you'll see better what I was ssaying.

>
> It was Iggy who ate 60 grams a day, the OP didn't say how many grams he

ate.
> And Atkins did NOT say to stay at 20.


You're probably right - I went back and googled the thread. I asked the
question of the original poster and assumed the answer came from her. But it
seems resonable to assume the person answering the question would have been
the same one it was asked of. I have no idea why the other person answered
for her.

Deb
 
S

SC

Guest
On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:26:27 -0600, Deb wrote:
> cause the chol increase. I also mentioned that only 20 per cent of your chol
> comes from your diet anyway so even if diet were a factor I doubt diet
> for her.
>
> Deb


Can I ask what your source is for that comment?

SC
 
P

Priscilla Ballou

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
SC <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:26:27 -0600, Deb wrote:
> > cause the chol increase. I also mentioned that only 20 per cent of your chol
> > comes from your diet anyway so even if diet were a factor I doubt diet
> > for her.
> >
> > Deb

>
> Can I ask what your source is for that comment?


I've been reading everywhere lately, it seems, that only about 25% of
serum cholesterol can be attributed to dietary cholesterol. It's fairly
common knowledge nowadays.

Priscilla

--
"It is very, very dangerous to treat any human, lowest
of the low even, with contempt and arrogant whatever.
The Lord takes this kind of treatment very, very personal."
- QBaal in newsgroup alt.religion.christian.episcopal
 
R

Roger Zoul

Guest
Deb wrote:
|| "FOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
|| news:[email protected]
||
|||
||| The OP didn't say how much he had to lose, he didn't sound unhappy
||| about the weight loss, just was concerned about the cholesterol
||| levels. You are making wildass assumptions.
||
|| I never thought they were unhappy about the weight loss. I was
|| trying to point out that maybe based on the tiny weight loss over
|| such a long time that they weren't truely low carbing and therefore
|| maybe low carb didn't cause the chol increase. I also mentioned that
|| only 20 per cent of your chol comes from your diet anyway so evern
|| if diet were a factor I doubt diet alone could have made that much
|| of a difference. Apparently in an effort not to be too wordy I
|| wasn't clear. If you google my posts on the thread I think you'll
|| see better what I was ssaying.
||
|||
||| It was Iggy who ate 60 grams a day, the OP didn't say how many
||| grams he ate. And Atkins did NOT say to stay at 20.
||
|| You're probably right - I went back and googled the thread. I asked
|| the question of the original poster and assumed the answer came from
|| her. But it seems resonable to assume the person answering the
|| question would have been the same one it was asked of. I have no
|| idea why the other person answered for her.

The person ways pointing out that that just being on low carb doesn't result
in weight loss ( even at 20 g or less a day ).