Re: Cocoa and chocolate for prevention of cardiovascular diseases?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Zee, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. Zee

    Zee Guest

    Matti Narkia <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > The article
    >
    > Hot Cocoa Tops Red Wine And Tea In Antioxidants; May Be Healthier Choice
    > http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/11/031106051159.htm
    >
    > comments a study which found that antioxidant concentration of hot cocoa was
    > 2 times stronger than red wine, 2-3 times stronger than green tea, and 4-5
    > times stronger than that of black tea. The are a number of other studies
    > which have found the cocoa and chocolate polyphenols are powerful
    > antioxidants and inhibit LDL oxidation. Other studies have shown that cocoa
    > and chocolate polyphenols have aspirin-like effects: they inhibit platelet
    > activation and function.

    This isn't going to be a scientific response, so I apologize. But it
    is not flippant: One of the things I remember about my father was that
    he drank bitter cocoa, made from powder, without milk or sugar (which
    we could not afford) every morning. He also ate only country meat and
    fish he caught or shot himself or with his friends on hunting trips
    that were not recreational, but provided our food. He died at 46, slim
    muscular, of one single heart attack. So did his brother (49) and his
    grandfather (35).
    Thanks for your excellent posts. I always learn something, Mr. Narkia.

    Zwalanga

    Tags:

  2. Matti Narkia

    Matti Narkia Guest

    16 Nov 2003 10:36:13 -0800 in article
    <[email protected]> [email protected] (Zee)
    wrote:

    >Matti Narkia <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> The article
    >>
    >> Hot Cocoa Tops Red Wine And Tea In Antioxidants; May Be Healthier Choice
    >> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/11/031106051159.htm
    >>
    >> comments a study which found that antioxidant concentration of hot cocoa was
    >> 2 times stronger than red wine, 2-3 times stronger than green tea, and 4-5
    >> times stronger than that of black tea. The are a number of other studies
    >> which have found the cocoa and chocolate polyphenols are powerful
    >> antioxidants and inhibit LDL oxidation. Other studies have shown that cocoa
    >> and chocolate polyphenols have aspirin-like effects: they inhibit platelet
    >> activation and function.

    >This isn't going to be a scientific response, so I apologize. But it
    >is not flippant: One of the things I remember about my father was that
    >he drank bitter cocoa, made from powder, without milk or sugar (which
    >we could not afford) every morning. He also ate only country meat and
    >fish he caught or shot himself or with his friends on hunting trips
    >that were not recreational, but provided our food. He died at 46, slim
    >muscular, of one single heart attack. So did his brother (49) and his
    >grandfather (35).
    >Thanks for your excellent posts. I always learn something, Mr. Narkia.

    I'm sorry about your father. Did he have any known risk factors?

  3. galya

    galya Guest

    Matti Narkia <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > 16 Nov 2003 10:36:13 -0800 in article
    > <[email protected]> [email protected] (Zee)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Matti Narkia <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> The article
    > >>
    > >> Hot Cocoa Tops Red Wine And Tea In Antioxidants; May Be Healthier Choice
    > >> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/11/031106051159.htm
    > >>
    > >> comments a study which found that antioxidant concentration of hot cocoa was
    > >> 2 times stronger than red wine, 2-3 times stronger than green tea, and 4-5
    > >> times stronger than that of black tea. The are a number of other studies
    > >> which have found the cocoa and chocolate polyphenols are powerful
    > >> antioxidants and inhibit LDL oxidation. Other studies have shown that cocoa
    > >> and chocolate polyphenols have aspirin-like effects: they inhibit platelet
    > >> activation and function.

    > >This isn't going to be a scientific response, so I apologize. But it
    > >is not flippant: One of the things I remember about my father was that
    > >he drank bitter cocoa, made from powder, without milk or sugar (which
    > >we could not afford) every morning. He also ate only country meat and
    > >fish he caught or shot himself or with his friends on hunting trips
    > >that were not recreational, but provided our food. He died at 46, slim
    > >muscular, of one single heart attack. So did his brother (49) and his
    > >grandfather (35).
    > >Thanks for your excellent posts. I always learn something, Mr. Narkia.
    > >

    > I'm sorry about your father. Did he have any known risk factors?

    Dear Zee,

    My questions:
    1. Do you know for sure that his father and brother drank the same
    cocoa drink for many years, as did your father?

    2. Why don't you blame the meat he ate? Dying so young from a single
    heart attack and having his father and brother also died from the same
    cause around the same age is pretty much evidence that it's genetic.

    If I were you, I would be under the supervision of a good internist
    and probably get on a statin medication if the doc recommends it in
    addition to a healthy diet and exercise.

    You and others might be interested in reading this article:
    http://cbsnewyork.com/investigates/local_story_318161525.html

    galya

  4. Zee

    Zee Guest

    Matti Narkia <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> Hot Cocoa Tops Red Wine And Tea In Antioxidants; May Be Healthier Choice
    > >> http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2003/11/031106051159.htm

    : One of the things I remember about my father was that
    > >he drank bitter cocoa, made from powder, without milk or sugar (which
    > >we could not afford) every morning. He also ate only country meat and
    > >fish.

    Did he have any known risk factors?

    Possibly familial hypercholesterolemia. Of interest is that all three
    ate what we would call the Atkins diet today. Just an observation that
    we really can't escape our genes. I have FH, and eat dark chocolate
    every day but only for pleasure. ZEE