Re: Coker Info

Gilby

Guest
First off, it's good to keep it inexpensive and there are many things
that would be nice to have changed, but isn't necessary.

I think the most important things that need to be changed are the
components in the wheel. Riding in winter here in MN makes them get
very rusty. Also, the stock wheel moves quite a bit when accelerating
and putting high torque on the wheel. So, I suggest not having a steel
rim that can rust. Use stainless steel spokes, and have a wider hub so
the wheel can be built stronger. Using a velo/KH seat would be much
better as well. Those two things are the most important changes that
could be made.

As for the tire, you could also offer a smoother tread that is more
road friendly.

-I moved this thread to RSU.-

--
Gilby
Gilby's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1

I love my coker!!!

I ride at least 30 miles per week on roads and trails. This is its
first winter so I hate to see it get rusty :( It's not rusty yet.

The bumpies on the tire are low enough profile that they don't bother
me, and I like the grippiness. For when I do occasionally take it on a
dirt road. There is a lot of debate of the weight. I am pretty small
5'6 and about 130. I like the weight. It helps me going up hills, I get
going fast and the inertia carries me up! It also makes balancing while
going very slowly quite easy, which is great at intersections in the
road not having to dismount each time.

I don't have the experience of riding other large unis that some of the
people on this forum have, but I'd suggest that if you make changes in
the tire, that you keep current design available until the new one(s)
gets better all around reviews.

An interesting thing you may find on this forum is the wide variety of
applications the coker tire has been applied to, seeing as for such a
long time it was the only one of its kind. Perhaps some specialized
models to suit different needs is a possibility!!

Thanks for posting here and for the opportunity to give you input!
Toddharless, please also check your private messages (PM)
THanks!
Blake

--
podzol

THE MISSING WHEELS TOUR DA YOOP!
Check out the charity ride, planning is under way.
Seeking riders and support.
*http://missingwheels.unicyclist.com/ *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

dude, you guys should make one cheaper, and make it like a 20 inch fixed
geared type thing with a 40 inch virtual wheel, that would be awsome,
but not like a giraffe, like a normal uni, you know those mini-giraffe
things

--
habbywall

to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.
The above is not intended to harm anyone
nick.jantz
I shot the sherriff
habbywall's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10260

I think the most important thing that you guys can do is make the hub
wider. the next two important is to get non steal spokes and rims.
thank you for comming on th forums to hear our thoughts on the
subject.

cudos and rep to todharless

--
unicyclistben
unicyclistben's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10897

habbywall wrote:
> dude, you guys should make one cheaper, and make it like a 20 inch fixed
> geared type thing with a 40 inch virtual wheel, that would be awsome,
> but not like a giraffe, like a normal uni, you know those mini-giraffe
> things

Todd, if you're looking for feedback on the Coker tire and the unicycle
Coker sells, you'll get some from this thread although not all of it
may be relevant to your business model. For a broader picture, I'd
also recommend you use the Search feature on this forum to peruse
through some of the many many threads that have been focused on Cokers.
Try a few different keywords, i.e. Coker, Custom 36, Distance Riding,
etc.

One thing to be aware of is that due to some of the limitations of
stock Coker unicycle (already mentioned...flexy, weak steel wheel,
heavy tire/tube combo, uncomfy seat, etc.), most Coker riders do some
level of customization to their unicycles. At the low end of the
spectrum is a seat replacement to a KH/Velo or custom airseat, and at
the high end of the spectrum are $1000+ unis with custom frame, custom
wheel-build with extra-wide hub and aluminum rim, and swapping of the
Coker inner tube for a lighter 28" tube or a tubeless system. Example:
on my custom 36" shown 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/d93n5), the only
component in common with the standard Coker unicycle is the tire
itself.

Regarding the tire, I have nothing but good things to say. I like the
traction, width, smoothness of ride, on/off road flexibility, and
durability. Especially durability. I rode my first Coker tire for 1,300
miles and it probably had another hundred or two left when I changed
it. Never a flat or leak in all that time. You're probably aware
there is now an alternative 36" tire on the market with a more
traditional tread pattern. It rides well, although I can't speak for
its durability. There may be riders on this forum--especially in
Europe where the tire has been on the market longer--that can.

Given that a definite "aftermarket" now exists to support the
customization of distance unicycles based on the Coker tire, it's hard
to say what areas would make sense to change or upgrade on the standard
Coker. I think the suggestions from John Foss and Gilby around
wheel/rim/seat improvements would probably have the most immediate
return relative to sales of your unicycle versus just sales of the
tire.

Happy searching! If you ever get to the point you're looking for
"focus group" type feedback, I bet you'd get some takers here as well.

Tom

--
tomblackwood

Tailgate at your own risk...