Re: Compact Road Bike not suitable for tall riders?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Jose Rizal, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. Jose Rizal

    Jose Rizal Guest

    powinc:

    > I was told by one of our local bike shop staff that 'Compact frames are
    > not suitable for tall riders'. He also said that the 'geometry goes out
    > of whak when the frame sizes increases'.
    >
    > Is there any truth to this?? Or is my local shop just pushing their
    > Trek's too hard? Because I did test ride a Merida 903 (at a different
    > retailer) and was told it was a semi-compact frame and it felt OK.

    Don't go back to that LBS: it's full of BS.

    > If this is true, it limits my choice of road bike by ~50%. i.e.
    > Specialized, Giant, etc.
    >
    > powinc

    Tags:

  2. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    Jose Rizal <[email protected]_._> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > powinc:
    >
    > > I was told by one of our local bike shop staff that 'Compact frames are
    > > not suitable for tall riders'. He also said that the 'geometry goes out
    > > of whak when the frame sizes increases'.
    > >
    > > Is there any truth to this?? Or is my local shop just pushing their
    > > Trek's too hard? Because I did test ride a Merida 903 (at a different
    > > retailer) and was told it was a semi-compact frame and it felt OK.

    > Don't go back to that LBS: it's full of BS.

    The LBS advice was partly true: compact frames are not appropriate for
    tall riders unless the frame is made from a composite. The stiffness
    of composite frames compensates for the design...

    Ritch.

    PS. Helium in the tyres also helps.