Re: Compact Road Bike not suitable for tall riders?

Jose Rizal

Guest
powinc:

> I was told by one of our local bike shop staff that 'Compact frames are
> not suitable for tall riders'. He also said that the 'geometry goes out
> of whak when the frame sizes increases'.
>
> Is there any truth to this?? Or is my local shop just pushing their
> Trek's too hard? Because I did test ride a Merida 903 (at a different
> retailer) and was told it was a semi-compact frame and it felt OK.

Don't go back to that LBS: it's full of BS.

Jose Rizal <_@_._> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> powinc:
>
> > I was told by one of our local bike shop staff that 'Compact frames are
> > not suitable for tall riders'. He also said that the 'geometry goes out
> > of whak when the frame sizes increases'.
> >
> > Is there any truth to this?? Or is my local shop just pushing their
> > Trek's too hard? Because I did test ride a Merida 903 (at a different
> > retailer) and was told it was a semi-compact frame and it felt OK.

> Don't go back to that LBS: it's full of BS.

The LBS advice was partly true: compact frames are not appropriate for
tall riders unless the frame is made from a composite. The stiffness
of composite frames compensates for the design...

Ritch.

PS. Helium in the tyres also helps.