Re: copper or aluminum anti-seize?

LioNiNoiL_a t_Y a h 0 0_d 0 t_c 0 m

Guest
> Copper? Copper's expensive with China gobbling it?

Yep: copper has doubled in price over the past 22 months:

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-copper-5y-Large.gif

> Is copper a-s superior to aluminum a-s?

Not for aluminum parts.

> when asked, the NAPA man saidee-"never saw aluminum a-s.
> always been copper long as i can remember."

I buy aluminum anti-seize at the local electician's supply house.

Matt O'Toole writes:

>>> Copper? Copper's expensive with China gobbling it?

>> Yep: copper has doubled in price over the past 22 months:

http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-copper-5y-Large.gif

> Maybe that's why some kitchen brands have discontinued their copper
> clad pots and pans.

That's not the reason. Revere Wear has always been a hoax. A thin
coat of copper does not spread heat laterally on a stainless steel
pot. If you doubt it, just look at the burn marks on the inside of
such pots that make a fine image of the gas flame distribution on the
bottom of the pot. Stainless is such a bad thermal conductor that the
copper on those pots is close to worthless.

Today, stainless pots that work have thick bottoms with a substantial
copper or aluminum laminate enclosed. They work! Revere Ware doesn't.

http://tinyurl.com/3l3xz

Jobst Brandt
[email protected]

[email protected] wrote:

>>> Yep: copper has doubled in price over the past 22 months:

> http://www.kitconet.com/charts/metals/base/spot-copper-5y-Large.gif
>
>> Maybe that's why some kitchen brands have discontinued their copper
>> clad pots and pans.

> That's not the reason. Revere Wear has always been a hoax. A thin
> coat of copper does not spread heat laterally on a stainless steel
> pot. If you doubt it, just look at the burn marks on the inside of
> such pots that make a fine image of the gas flame distribution on the
> bottom of the pot. Stainless is such a bad thermal conductor that the
> copper on those pots is close to worthless.
>
> Today, stainless pots that work have thick bottoms with a substantial
> copper or aluminum laminate enclosed. They work! Revere Ware
> doesn't.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3l3xz

So I've noticed. Indeed you are correct.

However, in the last few years the mainstream brands have come out with copies
of better cookware (stainless laminated over an aluminum or copper core, like
All-Clad). It is these from which the copper has disappeared. Of course the
fancier brands will always have copper available, they'll just jack up the
price.

Matt O.

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 14:21:51 -0500, "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]>
may have said:

>However, in the last few years the mainstream brands have come out with copies
>of better cookware (stainless laminated over an aluminum or copper core, like
>All-Clad). It is these from which the copper has disappeared. Of course the
>fancier brands will always have copper available, they'll just jack up the
>price.

Some of the best thick-bottom cookware used an aluminum slab all
along. The copper-clad ones worked no better and had a distinct
disadvantage at times in that the copper slab, if it was thick enough
to make a decent heat distribution layer, was also thick enough to
retain a lot of heat after the fire was turned off. (Aluminum of an
optimal thickness, by contrast, would not store as much heat.) As a
result, the thick-copper-clad pots were less responsive to changes in
the temp settings, and less useful overall. Some cooks have come to
recognize this, and the "copper is better" mindset has been slowly
dying out as a result.

The most amazingly useless of the old "copper bottom" pots were the
ones with the copper literally just plated on. The Revereware that
had about a millimeter of copper wasn't really much better than an
equal thickness of stainless, though; certainly not worth the price
they were asking.