Re: Corned brisket?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Mar 9, 2006.

  1. [email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    > On impulse, I picked up a brisket that was on sale.
    >
    > I've never made brisket. When I got it home, I realized that it was
    > corned.
    >
    > Can I still use a brisket recipe such as:
    >
    > http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/MidwstBriskt.asp
    >
    > What exactly does "corned" change?

    Well, corned beef is not very good for you because it has lots of salt
    and sodium nitrate (salt peter) in it. The salting process takes
    several weeks and tenderizes the meat all right, but adds lots of
    sodium. You could try and soak the chemicals out of it, but won't get
    all of it out. Yes, you can use any brisket recipe, but I would look up
    corned beef recipes. Corned beef hash is really good as is corned beef
    and cabbage. Speaking of processed meat, if you have never had a fresh
    ham, meaning it is not smoked and cured, it is at least as good as the
    smoked ham. Smoking meat, along with adding preservatives like nitrates
    and nitrites are strongly implicated in cancer. I wouldn't eat any of
    the stuff personally, but I'm vegetarian anyway. It won't kill you
    right away probably. Ha. If you ever want to try to wean yourself off
    of meat for health reasons, you will find after a couple of weeks
    without meat, that you don't crave it. Not only that, but all meat
    starts smelling rotten like there is something wrong with it.

    Tags:

  2. Try giving up ambrosia. After a couple of weeks it'll start smelling
    rotten and you'll start hating the people still eating it. If you live
    in Mississippi you might get the Attorney General to sue ambrosia
    makers who are obviously a detriment to society and a deterent to your
    well-being.

  3. On 9 Mar 2006 20:33:56 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >[email protected]_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
    >> On impulse, I picked up a brisket that was on sale.
    >>
    >> I've never made brisket. When I got it home, I realized that it was
    >> corned.
    >>
    >> Can I still use a brisket recipe such as:
    >>
    >> http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/MidwstBriskt.asp
    >>
    >> What exactly does "corned" change?

    >Well, corned beef is not very good for you because it has lots of salt
    >and sodium nitrate (salt peter) in it.

    I use David Rosengarten's father's method for corned beef from his old
    FoodTV program Taste which I think mitigates some of the saltiness and
    results in very tender corned beef. He also suggested dicarding the
    packet spices and using fresh but that's optional.

    It a large pot, cover the brisket with cold water and slowly bring to
    a simmer, pour out the water and cover the brisket again with cold
    water and repeat the process 2 more times. Then you can cover the
    brisket again with cold water, bring to a simmer and cook for 1.75 to
    2 hours depending on the size of the brisket. Finish off the brisket
    in a low heat oven (250 - 275 degrees F) for 30 minutes. You can also
    dress the meat with mustard or some other spice mixture just before
    putting it into the oven.