Re: Corned brisket?

Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
> On impulse, I picked up a brisket that was on sale.
>
> I've never made brisket. When I got it home, I realized that it was
> corned.
>
> Can I still use a brisket recipe such as:
>
> http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/MidwstBriskt.asp
>
> What exactly does "corned" change?

Well, corned beef is not very good for you because it has lots of salt
and sodium nitrate (salt peter) in it. The salting process takes
several weeks and tenderizes the meat all right, but adds lots of
sodium. You could try and soak the chemicals out of it, but won't get
all of it out. Yes, you can use any brisket recipe, but I would look up
corned beef recipes. Corned beef hash is really good as is corned beef
and cabbage. Speaking of processed meat, if you have never had a fresh
ham, meaning it is not smoked and cured, it is at least as good as the
smoked ham. Smoking meat, along with adding preservatives like nitrates
and nitrites are strongly implicated in cancer. I wouldn't eat any of
the stuff personally, but I'm vegetarian anyway. It won't kill you
right away probably. Ha. If you ever want to try to wean yourself off
of meat for health reasons, you will find after a couple of weeks
without meat, that you don't crave it. Not only that, but all meat
starts smelling rotten like there is something wrong with it.

Try giving up ambrosia. After a couple of weeks it'll start smelling
rotten and you'll start hating the people still eating it. If you live
in Mississippi you might get the Attorney General to sue ambrosia
makers who are obviously a detriment to society and a deterent to your
well-being.

On 9 Mar 2006 20:33:56 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

>Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com wrote:
>> On impulse, I picked up a brisket that was on sale.
>>
>> I've never made brisket. When I got it home, I realized that it was
>> corned.
>>
>> Can I still use a brisket recipe such as:
>>
>> http://beef.allrecipes.com/az/MidwstBriskt.asp
>>
>> What exactly does "corned" change?

>Well, corned beef is not very good for you because it has lots of salt
>and sodium nitrate (salt peter) in it.

I use David Rosengarten's father's method for corned beef from his old
FoodTV program Taste which I think mitigates some of the saltiness and
results in very tender corned beef. He also suggested dicarding the
packet spices and using fresh but that's optional.

It a large pot, cover the brisket with cold water and slowly bring to
a simmer, pour out the water and cover the brisket again with cold
water and repeat the process 2 more times. Then you can cover the
brisket again with cold water, bring to a simmer and cook for 1.75 to
2 hours depending on the size of the brisket. Finish off the brisket
in a low heat oven (250 - 275 degrees F) for 30 minutes. You can also
dress the meat with mustard or some other spice mixture just before
putting it into the oven.