Re: Cornstarch substitute?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Sheldon, Mar 29, 2005.

  1. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help

    bind
    > together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour

    would be
    > too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?
    >
    > Recipe follows:
    >
    > 3 oz. crab meat
    > 6 oz. ground pork
    > 6 large shrimp, minced*
    > 1 Tbs. water
    > 1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
    > 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    > 1 egg
    > 1-1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
    > 1 Tbs. oil
    > 1/2 tsp. pepper
    >
    > *or 1 can baby shrimp, well drained
    > Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers. Place 1 Tbs. filling

    in the
    > center of each wrapper and fold and pinch to seal with moistened

    fingers.
    > Cover and steam over boiling water 20-25 minutes.
    >
    > Jill

    I've actually watched such items as dumpling/wonton filling being made
    at Chinese restaurants (I'm always snooping at food prep), they don't
    use corn starch or any other starch as a binder... they use egg white
    (no yolk)... starch is a great thickener (and filler) but a really
    lousy binder, especially when ingredients begin to ooze liquid... in
    the above recipe the cornstarch is there to absorb the liquid steaming
    from the meat during cooking, otherwise by the time it's served
    there'll be a puddle in the dish and the filling texture will become
    like it's pre-eaten... the egg is the binder... if you have no starch
    you may want to add a small bit of cooked white rice to the mixture.
    But I'd question the Asian authenticity of that recipe when it calls
    for whole egg.

    Tags:

  2. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > jmcquown wrote:
    > > I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to help

    > bind
    > > together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think flour

    > would be
    > > too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?
    > >
    > > Recipe follows:
    > >
    > > 3 oz. crab meat
    > > 6 oz. ground pork
    > > 6 large shrimp, minced*
    > > 1 Tbs. water
    > > 1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
    > > 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    > > 1 egg
    > > 1-1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
    > > 1 Tbs. oil
    > > 1/2 tsp. pepper
    > >
    > > *or 1 can baby shrimp, well drained
    > > Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers. Place 1 Tbs. filling

    > in the
    > > center of each wrapper and fold and pinch to seal with moistened

    > fingers.
    > > Cover and steam over boiling water 20-25 minutes.
    > >
    > > Jill

    > I've actually watched such items as dumpling/wonton filling being made
    > at Chinese restaurants (I'm always snooping at food prep), they don't
    > use corn starch or any other starch as a binder... they use egg white
    > (no yolk)... starch is a great thickener (and filler) but a really
    > lousy binder, especially when ingredients begin to ooze liquid... in
    > the above recipe the cornstarch is there to absorb the liquid steaming
    > from the meat during cooking, otherwise by the time it's served
    > there'll be a puddle in the dish and the filling texture will become
    > like it's pre-eaten... the egg is the binder... if you have no starch
    > you may want to add a small bit of cooked white rice to the mixture.
    > But I'd question the Asian authenticity of that recipe when it calls
    > for whole egg.

    I got the recipe when we lived in Bangkok. Have you never heard of whole
    egg stirred into fried rice? I think I'll just add a tiny bit of flour as
    Barb suggested.

    Jill

  3. "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:qhm2e.376$f%[email protected]:

    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > jmcquown wrote:
    > > > I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to
    > > > help

    > > bind
    > > > together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think
    > > > flour

    > > would be
    > > > too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Recipe follows:
    > > >
    > > > 3 oz. crab meat
    > > > 6 oz. ground pork
    > > > 6 large shrimp, minced*
    > > > 1 Tbs. water
    > > > 1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
    > > > 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    > > > 1 egg
    > > > 1-1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
    > > > 1 Tbs. oil
    > > > 1/2 tsp. pepper
    > > >
    > > > *or 1 can baby shrimp, well drained
    > > > Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers. Place 1 Tbs.
    > > > filling

    > > in the
    > > > center of each wrapper and fold and pinch to seal with moistened

    > > fingers.
    > > > Cover and steam over boiling water 20-25 minutes.
    > > >
    > > > Jill

    > > I've actually watched such items as dumpling/wonton filling being
    > > made at Chinese restaurants (I'm always snooping at food prep),
    > > they don't use corn starch or any other starch as a binder... they
    > > use egg white (no yolk)... starch is a great thickener (and
    > > filler) but a really lousy binder, especially when ingredients
    > > begin to ooze liquid... in the above recipe the cornstarch is
    > > there to absorb the liquid steaming from the meat during cooking,
    > > otherwise by the time it's served there'll be a puddle in the dish
    > > and the filling texture will become like it's pre-eaten... the egg
    > > is the binder... if you have no starch you may want to add a small
    > > bit of cooked white rice to the mixture. But I'd question the
    > > Asian authenticity of that recipe when it calls for whole egg.
    > >

    > I got the recipe when we lived in Bangkok. Have you never heard of
    > whole egg stirred into fried rice? I think I'll just add a tiny bit
    > of flour as Barb suggested.
    >
    > Jill

    Or make rice flour with the wand blender?

    Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
    Continuing to be Manitoban

  4. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > jmcquown wrote:
    > > > I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to

    help
    > > bind
    > > > together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I think

    flour
    > > would be
    > > > too glutinous. Aside from going to the store, any suggestions?
    > > >
    > > > Recipe follows:
    > > >
    > > > 3 oz. crab meat
    > > > 6 oz. ground pork
    > > > 6 large shrimp, minced*
    > > > 1 Tbs. water
    > > > 1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
    > > > 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
    > > > 1 egg
    > > > 1-1/2 tsp. light soy sauce
    > > > 1 Tbs. oil
    > > > 1/2 tsp. pepper
    > > >
    > > > *or 1 can baby shrimp, well drained
    > > > Combine all ingredients except wonton wrappers. Place 1 Tbs.

    filling
    > > in the
    > > > center of each wrapper and fold and pinch to seal with moistened

    > > fingers.
    > > > Cover and steam over boiling water 20-25 minutes.
    > > >
    > > > Jill

    > > I've actually watched such items as dumpling/wonton filling being

    made
    > > at Chinese restaurants (I'm always snooping at food prep), they

    don't
    > > use corn starch or any other starch as a binder... they use egg

    white
    > > (no yolk)... starch is a great thickener (and filler) but a really
    > > lousy binder, especially when ingredients begin to ooze liquid...

    in
    > > the above recipe the cornstarch is there to absorb the liquid

    steaming
    > > from the meat during cooking, otherwise by the time it's served
    > > there'll be a puddle in the dish and the filling texture will

    become
    > > like it's pre-eaten... the egg is the binder... if you have no

    starch
    > > you may want to add a small bit of cooked white rice to the

    mixture.
    > > But I'd question the Asian authenticity of that recipe when it

    calls
    > > for whole egg.
    > >

    > I got the recipe when we lived in Bangkok. Have you never heard of

    whole
    > egg stirred into fried rice?

    You're not making fried rice. In fried rice the whole egg is first
    fried like an omelet and then used in bits as a garnish, raw egg is not
    blended into anything... in fact in Chinese fried rice only the yolk is
    fried, the whites are saved for other things, like stuffing mixtures,
    lobster sauce, hot n' sour soup, for coating seafood, etc. There's no
    egg yolk blended into stuffing mixtures. The yolks are used separately
    too, with egg drop soup, egg foo yong, etc. most of the whites are
    removed for other uses. Separating eggs is common in all cusines. You
    heard of hoodwinked, well you've been Bang Cocked! hehe

    Sheldon

  5. aem

    aem Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > > jmcquown wrote:
    > > > I have no cornstarch. I have no arrowroot. I need something to
    > > > help bind together the filling for steamed (Asian) dumplings. I
    > > > think flour would be too glutinous. Aside from going to the
    > > > store, any suggestions?

    [snip recipe]

    > I got the recipe when we lived in Bangkok. Have you never heard of
    > whole egg stirred into fried rice? I think I'll just add a tiny bit
    > of flour as Barb suggested.

    Yes, use half as much flour as the cornstarch called for. Or, just
    skip it. Worst that could happen is that your dumplings would be too
    moist, it isn't all going to fall apart on you. -aem

  6. aem

    aem Guest

    Sheldon wrote:
    [snip preceding]

    > You're not making fried rice. In fried rice the whole egg is first
    > fried like an omelet and then used in bits as a garnish, raw egg is
    > not blended into anything... in fact in Chinese fried rice only the
    > yolk is fried, the whites are saved for other things, like stuffing

    mixtures,
    > lobster sauce, hot n' sour soup, for coating seafood, etc. There's

    no
    > egg yolk blended into stuffing mixtures. The yolks are used

    separately
    > too, with egg drop soup, egg foo yong, etc. most of the whites are
    > removed for other uses. Separating eggs is common in all cusines.

    You
    > heard of hoodwinked, well you've been Bang Cocked! hehe

    Well, some cooks sometimes do it that way, but it's certainly not the
    only way to do things. If you know you're going to use egg whites
    later for something, then you might use only the yolks in fried rice,
    but there is no reason whatsoever not to use the whole egg if you're
    not saving the white. Same for egg drop soup--I have sometimes
    reserved the egg white for a marinade for that meal's stirfry, but
    other times I use the whole egg. For egg fooyung and for lobster
    sauce, I think using only yolks would be rare and inferior. -aem

  7. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    aem wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > [snip preceding]
    > >
    > > You're not making fried rice. In fried rice the whole egg is first
    > > fried like an omelet and then used in bits as a garnish, raw egg is
    > > not blended into anything... in fact in Chinese fried rice only the
    > > yolk is fried, the whites are saved for other things, like stuffing

    > mixtures,
    > > lobster sauce, hot n' sour soup, for coating seafood, etc. There's

    > no
    > > egg yolk blended into stuffing mixtures. The yolks are used

    > separately
    > > too, with egg drop soup, egg foo yong, etc. most of the whites are
    > > removed for other uses. Separating eggs is common in all cusines.

    > You
    > > heard of hoodwinked, well you've been Bang Cocked! hehe
    > >

    > Well, some cooks sometimes do it that way, but it's certainly not the
    > only way to do things. If you know you're going to use egg whites
    > later for something, then you might use only the yolks in fried rice,
    > but there is no reason whatsoever not to use the whole egg if you're
    > not saving the white. Same for egg drop soup--I have sometimes
    > reserved the egg white for a marinade for that meal's stirfry, but
    > other times I use the whole egg. For egg fooyung and for lobster
    > sauce, I think using only yolks would be rare and inferior. -aem

    Yeah, well... you're not Chinese. LOL

  8. On 29 Mar 2005 19:13:00 -0800, Sheldon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > aem wrote:
    >> Sheldon wrote:
    >> [snip preceding]
    >> >
    >> > You're not making fried rice. In fried rice the whole egg is first
    >> > fried like an omelet and then used in bits as a garnish, raw egg is
    >> > not blended into anything... in fact in Chinese fried rice only the
    >> > yolk is fried, the whites are saved for other things, like stuffing

    >> mixtures,
    >> > lobster sauce, hot n' sour soup, for coating seafood, etc. There's

    >> no
    >> > egg yolk blended into stuffing mixtures. The yolks are used

    >> separately
    >> > too, with egg drop soup, egg foo yong, etc. most of the whites are
    >> > removed for other uses. Separating eggs is common in all cusines.

    >> You
    >> > heard of hoodwinked, well you've been Bang Cocked! hehe
    >> >

    >> Well, some cooks sometimes do it that way, but it's certainly not the
    >> only way to do things. If you know you're going to use egg whites
    >> later for something, then you might use only the yolks in fried rice,
    >> but there is no reason whatsoever not to use the whole egg if you're
    >> not saving the white. Same for egg drop soup--I have sometimes
    >> reserved the egg white for a marinade for that meal's stirfry, but
    >> other times I use the whole egg. For egg fooyung and for lobster
    >> sauce, I think using only yolks would be rare and inferior. -aem

    > Yeah, well... you're not Chinese. LOL

    But I am. And this is the first I've heard of using only the yolk in
    fried rice. Most people I know use the whole egg in fried rice, hot and sour
    soup, etc. including myself. And it can be stir-fried separately from the
    rice OR stir-fried with it, it varies according to who's making it. An aunt
    of mine does it the omelet way--cooking it into a thin pancake and then
    cooling it before julienning it for a garnish. Other aunts of mine simply
    scramble it with the rice so that it forms small chunks mixed in with
    everything else. Less elegant, perhaps, but it's faster and it tastes just as
    good.

    Then again, you're also the same person who claimed few procedures in
    Asian cuisine takes longer than 3 minutes and that wasn't true, either.

    Ariane
    --
    Dysfunction: The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying
    relationships is you.

  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Ariane replied to Sheldon:

    >> Yeah, well... you're not Chinese. LOL
    >>

    > But I am. And this is the first I've heard of using only the yolk in
    > fried rice. Most people I know use the whole egg in fried rice, hot and
    > sour soup, etc. including myself. And it can be stir-fried separately
    > from the rice OR stir-fried with it, it varies according to who's making
    > it. An aunt of mine does it the omelet way--cooking it into a thin
    > pancake and then cooling it before julienning it for a garnish. Other
    > aunts of mine simply scramble it with the rice so that it forms small
    > chunks mixed in with everything else. Less elegant, perhaps, but it's
    > faster and it tastes just as good.
    >
    > Then again, you're also the same person who claimed few procedures in
    > Asian cuisine takes longer than 3 minutes and that wasn't true, either.

    If I may, allow me to anticipate Sheldon's response: "You're not Chinese, no
    Chinese would ever do it the way your fercocktah illiterate six-fingered
    inbred mongoloid Filipina house monkeys do it. Your taste is in your ass and
    you no makee flied lice. Ahahahahahahahahah"

    ....but that's just the way Sheldon is: ignorant, but predictable.

    Bob

  10. On 29 Mar 2005 23:45:02 -0600, Bob <[email protected]_spammer.biz> wrote:

    > If I may, allow me to anticipate Sheldon's response: "You're not Chinese, no
    > Chinese would ever do it the way your fercocktah illiterate six-fingered
    > inbred mongoloid Filipina house monkeys do it. Your taste is in your ass and
    > you no makee flied lice. Ahahahahahahahahah"
    >
    > ...but that's just the way Sheldon is: ignorant, but predictable.

    LOL... Careful, you're scaring me now. <g>

    There's nothing wrong with being unfamiliar with Chinese or Asian
    cuisine. It'd just be a good idea to refrain from talking as if he was,
    particularly on a newsgroup where there's plenty of posters who are. Of
    course, if someone is into public humiliation in a kinky way, then all
    bets are off. ;)

    Ariane
    --
    Dysfunction: The only consistent feature of all your dissatisfying
    relationships is you.
    http://www.despair.com/demotivators/dysfunction.html

  11. aem

    aem Guest

    Sheldon wrote:

    > Yeah, well... you're not Chinese. LOL

    And you are? I'm not, but my mother and aunts and uncles were, and
    they all cooked Chinese meals at home. I learned some from them and
    some from a wide variety of Chinese cookbooks. None of them would
    agree with what you posted about eggs. -aem

  12. aem

    aem Guest

    Sheldon wrote:

    > Yeah, well... you're not Chinese. LOL

    And you are? I'm not, but my mother and aunts and uncles were, and
    they all cooked Chinese meals at home. I learned some from them and
    some from a wide variety of Chinese cookbooks. None of them would
    agree with what you posted about eggs. -aem

  13. aem

    aem Guest

    Ariane Jenkins wrote:
    > [snip]
    > And it can be stir-fried separately from the
    > rice OR stir-fried with it, it varies according to who's making it.
    > An aunt of mine does it the omelet way--cooking it into a thin
    > pancake and then cooling it before julienning it for a garnish.
    > Other aunts of mine simply scramble it with the rice so that it forms
    > small chunks mixed in with everything else. Less elegant, perhaps,
    > but it's faster and it tastes just as good. [snip]

    Tastes better, I think. I push the rice away from the bottom of the
    wok and break the egg(s) in there, season with s&p and a few drops of
    sesame oil, scramble it in place until set but still soft, then stir it
    into the rice. Doing it the 'garnish omelet' way almost always gets
    you overly cooked, dry results. -aem

  14. aem

    aem Guest

    Ariane Jenkins wrote:
    > [snip]
    > And it can be stir-fried separately from the
    > rice OR stir-fried with it, it varies according to who's making it.
    > An aunt of mine does it the omelet way--cooking it into a thin
    > pancake and then cooling it before julienning it for a garnish.
    > Other aunts of mine simply scramble it with the rice so that it forms
    > small chunks mixed in with everything else. Less elegant, perhaps,
    > but it's faster and it tastes just as good. [snip]

    Tastes better, I think. I push the rice away from the bottom of the
    wok and break the egg(s) in there, season with s&p and a few drops of
    sesame oil, scramble it in place until set but still soft, then stir it
    into the rice. Doing it the 'garnish omelet' way almost always gets
    you overly cooked, dry results. -aem

  15. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ariane Jenkins wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > > And it can be stir-fried separately from the
    > > rice OR stir-fried with it, it varies according to who's making it.
    > > An aunt of mine does it the omelet way--cooking it into a thin
    > > pancake and then cooling it before julienning it for a garnish.
    > > Other aunts of mine simply scramble it with the rice so that it forms
    > > small chunks mixed in with everything else. Less elegant, perhaps,
    > > but it's faster and it tastes just as good. [snip]

    > Tastes better, I think. I push the rice away from the bottom of the
    > wok and break the egg(s) in there, season with s&p and a few drops of
    > sesame oil, scramble it in place until set but still soft, then stir it
    > into the rice.

    -aem

    I like them added to fried rice in this manner as well.

    Jill

  16. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ariane Jenkins wrote:
    > > [snip]
    > > And it can be stir-fried separately from the
    > > rice OR stir-fried with it, it varies according to who's making it.
    > > An aunt of mine does it the omelet way--cooking it into a thin
    > > pancake and then cooling it before julienning it for a garnish.
    > > Other aunts of mine simply scramble it with the rice so that it forms
    > > small chunks mixed in with everything else. Less elegant, perhaps,
    > > but it's faster and it tastes just as good. [snip]

    > Tastes better, I think. I push the rice away from the bottom of the
    > wok and break the egg(s) in there, season with s&p and a few drops of
    > sesame oil, scramble it in place until set but still soft, then stir it
    > into the rice.

    -aem

    I like them added to fried rice in this manner as well.

    Jill

  17. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > jmcquown wrote:

    > [snip recipe]
    >
    > > I got the recipe when we lived in Bangkok. Have you never heard of
    > > whole egg stirred into fried rice? I think I'll just add a tiny bit
    > > of flour as Barb suggested.

    > Yes, use half as much flour as the cornstarch called for. Or, just
    > skip it. Worst that could happen is that your dumplings would be too
    > moist, it isn't all going to fall apart on you. -aem

    I used just a couple of pinches of flour and mixed it all up. The filling
    turned out fine. However, by the time I got around to doing that, I wound
    up just covering it tightly in a bowl. I'll fill and steam the dumplings
    today. I also thought I'd take about 1/2 of the mixture and add some
    chopped water chestnuts for something a little different with a bit of
    crunch.

    Jill

  18. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    "aem" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > jmcquown wrote:

    > [snip recipe]
    >
    > > I got the recipe when we lived in Bangkok. Have you never heard of
    > > whole egg stirred into fried rice? I think I'll just add a tiny bit
    > > of flour as Barb suggested.

    > Yes, use half as much flour as the cornstarch called for. Or, just
    > skip it. Worst that could happen is that your dumplings would be too
    > moist, it isn't all going to fall apart on you. -aem

    I used just a couple of pinches of flour and mixed it all up. The filling
    turned out fine. However, by the time I got around to doing that, I wound
    up just covering it tightly in a bowl. I'll fill and steam the dumplings
    today. I also thought I'd take about 1/2 of the mixture and add some
    chopped water chestnuts for something a little different with a bit of
    crunch.

    Jill

  19. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    aem wrote:
    > Sheldon wrote:
    > >
    > > Yeah, well... you're not Chinese. LOL

    > And you are? I'm not, but my mother and aunts and uncles were, and
    > they all cooked Chinese meals at home. I learned some from them and
    > some from a wide variety of Chinese cookbooks. None of them would
    > agree with what you posted about eggs. -aem

    So you claim to have learned from relatives, and cookbooks with no
    name, so your citations are better than mine? NOT Your replying after
    the fact with pure garbage can't trump me... if you really knew the
    answer to the OP's problem you had more than enough time and
    opportunity to reply with your what you think is your superiour wisdom
    prior to my response... you're a day late and a nickle short.

    Eggs are probably the most revered ingredient in Chinese cusine, eggs
    play a very important part in all aspects of Chinese culture. The
    Chinese are extremely particular in all the various machinations
    pertaining to egg usage in their cusine and they do in fact pay very
    careful attention to the proportion of white and yolk used.

  20. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest