Re: Could This Be Loose Headset?

Arthur Harris

Guest
"Elisa Francesca Roselli" wrote:
> So could this wobble be due to a _loose_ headset? How does a loose
> headset feel?

It's probably NOT a loose headset. To check for a loose headset: Stand next
to the bike. Grip the front brake lever tightly, and rock the bike forward
and back. If you hear or feel a "clunking," the headset is loose.

Art Harris

On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 11:40:35 -0500, "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Elisa Francesca Roselli" wrote:
>> So could this wobble be due to a _loose_ headset? How does a loose
>> headset feel?

>It's probably NOT a loose headset. To check for a loose headset: Stand next
>to the bike. Grip the front brake lever tightly, and rock the bike forward
>and back. If you hear or feel a "clunking," the headset is loose.

I believe an even better way to detect a too loose headset is a
variation of the above. Place the index finger of your free hand (the
one not holding the front brake lever) on the front of the
intersection between the lower headset cup (or the bottom of the head
tube on more "modern" bikes) and the fork crown. While rocking the
bike you can easily detect a mis-adjusted headset by any movement you
feel.