Re: Curious...When Would You Quit?

NYC XYZ

Guest
David wrote:

> My plan for him would be . . . (as he is only 33 years old) - is to

make a
> pig of himself say for a 5 year period - that puts him up to 38 - say

he
> increases his weight by only 1 lb per week - so at a guess that would

make
> him around 425 lbs - a nice big strapping guy. Then if he is unhappy

with
> his body he is still young enough to change things around.

Well, I'm above-average in terms of health and strength -- and lest you
think I'm bragging here, I admit that I do realize how "average" is
really the baseline, or ought to be, as far as health and fitness is
concerned -- 'cause I could still do a bit more than Army standards.

What I'm wondering is "why" now, what for...I'm not getting the same
amount of joy out of it anymore -- now that I don't care as much how
big my muscles are, now that I'm pulling muscles left and right, etc.
-- so what is the point?

One could still be "healthy" and not "work out"...is it just a matter
of "pride," of vainity??

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> David wrote:
> >

> > My plan for him would be . . . (as he is only 33 years old) - is to

> make a
> > pig of himself say for a 5 year period - that puts him up to 38 - say

> he
> > increases his weight by only 1 lb per week - so at a guess that would

> make
> > him around 425 lbs - a nice big strapping guy. Then if he is unhappy

> with
> > his body he is still young enough to change things around.

> Well, I'm above-average in terms of health and strength -- and lest you
> think I'm bragging here, I admit that I do realize how "average" is
> really the baseline, or ought to be, as far as health and fitness is
> concerned -- 'cause I could still do a bit more than Army standards.
>
> What I'm wondering is "why" now, what for...I'm not getting the same
> amount of joy out of it anymore -- now that I don't care as much how
> big my muscles are, now that I'm pulling muscles left and right, etc.
> -- so what is the point?
>
> One could still be "healthy" and not "work out"...is it just a matter
> of "pride," of vainity??

My theory is that wanting to have a good looking body is not vanity at all -
or pride - the vast majority of guys who work out is that they want to pull
the chicks. To feel comfortable naked with a woman. They probably feel
embarassed about having a gut or whatever. If that doesn't apply to you and
big muscles aren't important - then maybe you just need to be conscious of
your diet and not put on much weight - play some sport to keep a modicum of
fitness

NYC XYZ wrote:
:: David wrote:
:::
:::
::: My plan for him would be . . . (as he is only 33 years old) - is
::: to make a pig of himself say for a 5 year period - that puts him up
::: to 38 - say he increases his weight by only 1 lb per week - so at a
::: guess that would make him around 425 lbs - a nice big strapping
::: guy. Then if he is unhappy with his body he is still young enough
::: to change things around.
::
::
:: Well, I'm above-average in terms of health and strength -- and lest
:: you think I'm bragging here, I admit that I do realize how "average"
:: is really the baseline, or ought to be, as far as health and fitness
:: is concerned -- 'cause I could still do a bit more than Army
:: standards.
::
:: What I'm wondering is "why" now, what for...I'm not getting the same
:: amount of joy out of it anymore -- now that I don't care as much how
:: big my muscles are, now that I'm pulling muscles left and right, etc.
:: -- so what is the point?

just learn it for the first time.

::
:: One could still be "healthy" and not "work out"...is it just a matter
:: of "pride," of vainity??

You can certainly not be fat and not workout. You can probably even be
healthy and not workout. I'm not sure that lifting ensures you'll stay
healthy, anyway. In fact, eating a so-called proper diet is no guarantee
that you'll stay healthy. You can do everything right and still get cancer.
Life's a crapshoot. But you can plan for a successful & fulfilling life -
and hope you get it.