Re: Cycle bays - waste of space?

doetnietcomputeren wrote:

> The Older Gentleman wrote:
>

> > There's got to be way of using the space to hold more bicycles
> > securely in the given area. Hasn't there?

> Amsterdam seems to have solved it:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/doesnotcompute/190220421/

Is that the one by the cental station?

It's always been rammed full of bikes on the occasions I've walked past
it.

--
Dan L

Too much time to think, too little to do.

[email protected]
http://thebikeshed.spaces.live.com/
1996 Kawasaki ZR1100 Zephyr

BOTAFOT #140 (KotL 2005/6/7)
X-FOT#000
DIAABTCOD #26
BOMB#18 (slow)
OMF#11

Dan L wrote:

>>> There's got to be way of using the space to hold more bicycles
>>> securely in the given area. Hasn't there?

>> Amsterdam seems to have solved it:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/doesnotcompute/190220421/

> Is that the one by the cental station?

Aye, tis that.

> It's always been rammed full of bikes on the occasions I've walked past
> it.

Indeed. For those cloggies who commute by train, it's fairly common to
have two bikes. One at home station and one at destination station, so
as not to have to fill the train with bikes.

--
Dnc

doetnietcomputeren wrote:

> > > Amsterdam seems to have solved it:
> > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/doesnotcompute/190220421/

> > Is that the one by the cental station?

> Aye, tis that.
>
> > It's always been rammed full of bikes on the occasions I've walked
> > past it.

> Indeed. For those cloggies who commute by train, it's fairly common
> to have two bikes. One at home station and one at destination
> station, so as not to have to fill the train with bikes.

My impression of cyclists in Amsterdam was they were silent killers.
Nearly go mowed down on several occasions.

--

doetnietcomputeren wrote:

> >> Amsterdam seems to have solved it:
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/doesnotcompute/190220421/

> > Is that the one by the cental station?

> Indeed. For those cloggies who commute by train, it's fairly common to
> have two bikes. One at home station and one at destination station, so
> as not to have to fill the train with bikes.

And the more pre-1940 they look, the better!

--
ogden
sv650 & rgv250

Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, ogden
<[email protected]> typed
>doetnietcomputeren wrote:

>> > Is that the one by the cental station?

>> Indeed. For those cloggies who commute by train, it's fairly common to
>> have two bikes. One at home station and one at destination station, so
>> as not to have to fill the train with bikes.

>And the more pre-1940 they look, the better!

Pre-1940 bikes in the Netherlands? I think not:

"Where's my bike?"

--
Wicked Uncle Nigel - "He's hopeless, but he's honest"

WS* GHPOTHUF#24 APOSTLE#14 DLC#1 COFF#20 BOTAFOT#150 HYPO#0(KoTL) IbW#41
SBS#39 OMF#6 Enfield 500 Curry House Racer "The Basmati Rice Burner",
Honda GL1000K2 (Fallen apart)
Suzuki TS250 "The Africa Single" Honda ST1100 wiv trailer Norton 850 Commando
Kawasaki GTR1400

Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:

>>> Indeed. For those cloggies who commute by train, it's fairly common to
>>> have two bikes. One at home station and one at destination station, so
>>> as not to have to fill the train with bikes.

>> And the more pre-1940 they look, the better!

> Pre-1940 bikes in the Netherlands? I think not:
>
> "Where's my bike?"

Heh. The first area I lived in was a sailing/holiday area that attracted
lots of non-cloggies. The cloggy kids would taunt something along the
lines of "does your granddad still hve my granddad's bike".

--
Dnc

Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:

> Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, ogden
> <[email protected]> typed
> >doetnietcomputeren wrote:
> >>
> >> Indeed. For those cloggies who commute by train, it's fairly common to
> >> have two bikes. One at home station and one at destination station, so
> >> as not to have to fill the train with bikes.

> >And the more pre-1940 they look, the better!

> Pre-1940 bikes in the Netherlands? I think not:
>
> "Where's my bike?"

That's exactly the point. AIUI, cloggies are rather proud of old bikes
for precisely that reason. Or, at least, the cloggies I've known have
been.

--
ogden
sv650 & rgv250

ogden wrote:

> Wicked Uncle Nigel wrote:
> >
> > Using the patented Mavis Beacon "Hunt&Peck" Technique, ogden
> > <[email protected]> typed

> > common to >> have two bikes. One at home station and one at
> > destination station, so >> as not to have to fill the train with
> > bikes.
> > >
> > > And the more pre-1940 they look, the better!

> > Pre-1940 bikes in the Netherlands? I think not:
> >
> > "Where's my bike?"

> That's exactly the point. AIUI, cloggies are rather proud of old bikes
> for precisely that reason. Or, at least, the cloggies I've known have
> been.

A lot of them keep SOBs for the daily bus or train station run. They
can be reasonably sure the bikes won't be nicked during the day.

--
Mike
FJ1200

doetnietcomputeren <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> And the more pre-1940 they look, the better!

> > Pre-1940 bikes in the Netherlands? I think not:
> >
> > "Where's my bike?"

> Heh. The first area I lived in was a sailing/holiday area that attracted
> lots of non-cloggies. The cloggy kids would taunt something along the
> lines of "does your granddad still hve my granddad's bike".

Allegedly, when the Cloggies play the Boxheads at footie, one Cloggie
chant is "Grandma wants her bicycle back."

Can any of our tame cloggies confirm?

--
BMW K1100LT 750SS CB400F CD250 CB125 SL125
GAGARPHOF#30 GHPOTHUF#1 BOTAFOT#60 ANORAK#06 YTC#3