Re: Cycling from Nice

Tim McNamara

Guest
nareloc <[email protected]> writes:

> I am thinking of flying with my bike to Nice with EasyJet. I have
> been told that the area around Nice airport is a bit of a
> nightmare. Anyone any experience of cycling out of this airport? I
> will be heading north from there into the quieter areas of Provence.

I have not cycled out of the airport, but the main roads in and out of
Nice are very busy, practically like riding on a US interstate highway
or an M-road in the UK (except the drivers are actually quite a bit
more accommodating). Get the Institute Geographique National large
scale maps of the area, which show you your options.

A few potentially helpful Web sites:

http://www.trentobike.org

http://www.alpix.com/nice/htmlen/maps0.htm

http://www2.bitstream.net/~timmcn/alps2002-8.html (you'd be riding the
reverse of this route, depending on where you want to go)

http://briandesousa.com/bicycling/touring/alps04.htm

http://www.ebbc.org/france/index.html

Personally I'd take some kind of transportation out of the airport and
into the quieter roads, if I was leaving for my ride directly from the
airport.