Re: Cycling from South Wales to London

Helen Deborah Vecht

Guest
IIRC Patrick Field wrote in praise of the A4 in his 'Cycling Sideways'
column eons ago.

The road takes a double bend at Hungerford IIRC and the phased traffic
lights through Slough are frustrating if you can't maintain 28mph...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

> The road takes a double bend at Hungerford IIRC and the phased traffic
> lights through Slough are frustrating if you can't maintain 28mph...

Nightmarish, as are the lights on the section near Heathrow airport. A
stream of traffic zips past you, the last one clearing the lights just
before they change. You are still 30 yards short of the lights. Repeat
ad nauseam.

--
Dave...

"dkahn400" <[email protected]> writes:

> Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
>
>> The road takes a double bend at Hungerford IIRC and the phased traffic
>> lights through Slough are frustrating if you can't maintain 28mph...

> Nightmarish, as are the lights on the section near Heathrow airport. A
> stream of traffic zips past you, the last one clearing the lights just
> before they change. You are still 30 yards short of the lights. Repeat
> ad nauseam.

Looks like it'd make more sense to come off at Twyford and go via
Windsor and Staines, then. (For one, I need to be south of Heathrow, not
north, to get to Feltham/Bedfont.)

Anything not compulsory was forbidden

On Oct 26, 2:30 pm, Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> wrote:
> Looks like it'd make more sense to come off at Twyford and go via
> Windsor and Staines, then. (For one, I need to be south of Heathrow, not
> north, to get to Feltham/Bedfont.)

As a Feltham resident, I'd concurr. However, the A308 from Windsor to
Staines isn't particularly pleasant. Although it's wide, it's also very
fast. Personally, I choose the "avoiding" route (see below), but it's
not very flat - and it's a longer distance. If you like riverside
views, use the A308. Unfortunately, there's no riverside cycle path to
use - the Thames bends round through Runnymede Meadows here, National
Trust land.

Briefly, the route I'd suggest from Twyford is B3024 to Windsor, then
taking the loop round the North of Windsor on the B470. Pass through
Datchet (over the lever crossing) to join the B376. Turn off the B376
to Horton, via southern edge of Poyle to the M25 J14 roundabout -
taking the subway route across the M25 to Stanwell Moor. Using minor
roads from there to reach the Southern Perimiter Road of Heathrow
Airport, thence on to Bedfont.

--
MatSav

"MatSav" <[email protected]> writes:

> Briefly, the route I'd suggest from Twyford is B3024 to Windsor, then
> taking the loop round the North of Windsor on the B470. Pass through
> Datchet (over the lever crossing) to join the B376. Turn off the B376
> to Horton, via southern edge of Poyle to the M25 J14 roundabout -
> taking the subway route across the M25 to Stanwell Moor. Using minor
> roads from there to reach the Southern Perimiter Road of Heathrow
> Airport, thence on to Bedfont.

Brilliant, ta! That does look more pleasant.

Everybody knows that the boat is leaking
Everybody knows that the captain lied