Re: Cyclist terrorist

"List all your Cycling Plus and PH sign-on names then "

On Petrolheads I was Martin Crowe but someone called Ted banned me
from there because he lost the argument. There was no abuse, there was
nothing remotely anti-motorist.

Same with Cycling Plus, nothing at all anti-motorist, that's why you
are scrabbling round trying to smear people against whom you have no
argument, it's very childish.

Argue with what I've said, not your lies about what I've said.

On congestion in London , it's another myth like Ken hating cars or
the moon's made of chocolate:

The Right - in the form of the Conservative Party and much of the
press - had hyped up the failure of the scheme before C-day itself.
This may well have been a mistaken strategy, because after its first
week the notion of scrapping congestion charging lacked any
credibility. But it was just one element in a vitriolic campaign of
lies and media manipulation aimed at undermining Livingstone.

For example, the saga of the changing of traffic lights has become so
embedded in urban myth that it will probably never be overcome. (The
truth is traffic lights have been re-signalled over a long period to
bring pedestrian crossing-times in line with a national standard - a
process started by the Conservative government in 1992.) Changing
traffic lights back and abolishing road-works have become "serious"
alternatives to congestion charging, but as Professor Begg states: "if
it was simply a case of tweaking the traffic lights and trying to keep
traffic flowing, getting rid of vans that are parked on yellow lines,
it would be a lot easier.... we cannot get away from the fact that the
basic problem here is too many vehicles chasing too little road
space."

In reality, Ken Livingstone's bold experiment is the accepted solution
to congestion, and is passionately supported by environmentalists. 40%
of congestion in Britain is in London and 80% is in urban centres. If
the London scheme is even moderately successful it will be followed by
other cities in Britain and across the world.

http://www.whatnextjournal.co.uk/pages/Back/Wnext25/Congestion.html

More significantly, there have been widespread suggestions London
Mayor Ken Livingstone deliberately made congestion worse in the run-up
to the charge by adjusting traffic light phases and embarking on major
roadwork schemes.

In fact, the lights were changed to keep traffic out of Trafalgar
Square during improvement work and the roadworks were part of long-
term major schemes.

http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/articles/bbc/feb12,03.shtml

Rather too many hysterical petrolhead lies going around....

Roadhog wrote:
> In message <[email protected]>, Brian Robertson
> <brian@[nospam].com> writes
>> Roadhog wrote:
>>> In message <[email protected]>, Brian Robertson
>>> <brian@[nospam].com> writes
>>> Apparently dog wardens can enforce the law on lorry drivers smoking
>>> in their own cabs.
>>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/7025671.stm
>>> There's plenty of work being created for jumped-up ticket dispensers
>>> like that. Don't expect them to jump in and save your drowning kid
>>> though.
>>>

>> Not if they can't swim and don't know where he is.
>>
>> So lets get this right, anyway: You think that cyclists should obey
>> the law, but the people who enforce the law are "jumped-up ticket
>> dispensers". Have I got you right?

> Not quite.
>
> You were arguing that "more bobbies" (i.e. more police officers) would
> be needed to enforce the laws on cycle lights.
>
> But real police officers aren't the only ones enforcing laws these days,
> are they? There are whole armies of jumped-up ticket dispensers, such as
> PCSOs and dog wardens, being recruited for the more minor (and
> revenue-generating) tasks.
>
> So your argument that enforcing spot fines on cyclists would mean "yet
> more bobbies off the beat filling out paperwork" is false, as this work
> can be delegated to the ticket monkeys.

I get you! So it's only the people who are helping the bobbies get back
on the beat who are useless.

Brian.

Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> Adrian wrote:
> > Brimstone ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding
> > much like they were saying :

> >> So you're suggesting that this alleged delay is a triumph of
> >> conspiracy rather than cockup?

> > Yes. In fact, I'll state it rather than suggest it.
> >
> >> What would be the point of causing delay for no reason?

> > It allows you to justify the introduction of a signature scheme like
> > the Kengestion Charge.

> There was already delay in London long (as in several decades) before that
> idea came about.

yes but why let mer facts get in the way of a good conspiracy!

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

Roger Merriman wrote:
> Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Adrian wrote:
>>> Brimstone ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding
>>> much like they were saying :

>>> Yes. In fact, I'll state it rather than suggest it.

>>> It allows you to justify the introduction of a signature scheme like
>>> the Kengestion Charge.

>> There was already delay in London long (as in several decades)
>> before that idea came about.

> yes but why let mer facts get in the way of a good conspiracy!

Quite.

Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob ([email protected]) gurgled happily,
> sounding much like they were saying :
>
> > Sorry, I was taking the **** at what was clearly becoming a circular
> > thread, not least because of Adrian's failure to produce evidence [1].

> My lack of evidence? All I did was say that I didn't believe YOUR
> unsubstantiated claim...

Apologies if I am missing something here, but I don't recall making the
unsubstantiated claim you appear to be referring to.

> How would you like me to substantiate a lack of belief?

I would not. However, could you give evidence for the deliberate bad
scheduling of roadworks?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob ([email protected]) gurgled happily,
> sounding much like they were saying :
>
> > Sorry, I was taking the **** at what was clearly becoming a circular
> > thread, not least because of Adrian's failure to produce evidence [1].

> My lack of evidence? All I did was say that I didn't believe YOUR
> unsubstantiated claim...

Apologies if I am missing something here, but I don't recall making the
unsubstantiated claim you appear to be referring to.

> How would you like me to substantiate a lack of belief?

I would not. However, could you give evidence for the deliberate bad
scheduling of roadworks?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote:
> > Sorry, I was taking the **** at what was clearly becoming a circular
> > thread, not least because of Adrian's failure to produce evidence
> > [1]. I do not actually believe that which I repeated.

> You're obviously new here, no one blieves what they post.

For me 'here' is uk.rec.cycling.

Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:05:22 GMT,
> [email protected] (Ekul Namsob) wrote:
>
> >You need, Tom, to understand that, no matter how many examples you give
> >of car accidents, pavement cyclists can be a menace. They do law-abiding
> >cyclists no favours, they do pedestrians no favours and your good
> >fortune in never having been hit by a cyclist does no more to
> >demonstrate the safety of pavement cycling than my good fortune in never
> >having been hit by a motorist. [1]

> Duelling anecdotes are never a good way to make a point (even if it is
> the stock in trade for some tabloids). But population-scale studies do
> illustrate the relative menaces of cars vs cycles, no?

Absolutely. So there need be no more defending of the actions of a
number of selfish cyclists by claiming that a number of motorists can be
worse.

Sir Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 8 Oct, 08:32, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "the attitudes displayed by Chapman, Hansen , that ****** Spindrift
> > et
> > al are exactly that car drivers are the cyclists enemy and that
> > cyclists have carte blanche to do whatever they like"
> >
> > £5 to a charity of your choice if you can back these claims up with
> > examples from me - that ****** spindrift.
> >
> > £5 per example.

> List all your Cycling Plus and PH sign-on names then

Oh dear. I think, Pete, you've just lost that one.

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ekul Namsob wrote:
>>> Sorry, I was taking the **** at what was clearly becoming a circular
>>> thread, not least because of Adrian's failure to produce evidence
>>> [1]. I do not actually believe that which I repeated.

>> You're obviously new here, no one blieves what they post.

> For me 'here' is uk.rec.cycling.

Does that imply that everyone in urc only posts what they believe to be
true?

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Brimstone wrote:
>> "Adrian" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>Brimstone ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much
>>>like they were saying :

>>>Yes, dear. We know, dear.
>>>
>>>But Ken deliberately made it worse.

>> Why?

> He is known to hate cars. He has said that he would ban them if he had the
> power.

I believe a car once ran over one of Ken's newts.....

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> Brimstone wrote:
>> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>>He's also a terrible liar.

>> That's a very strong accusation to level at someone who is not here to
>> defend himself (AFAIK). Do you have evidence?

> Like the time he said he saw no reason ever to raise the "Congestion" Tax
> from £5? Then put it up to £8 a few months later?
>
> The man is a turd.

But your accusation that he is a terrible liar is not correct.

He is demonstrably a bloody *good* liar..

Ian D Henden ([email protected]) gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying :

> But your accusation that he is a terrible liar is not correct.
>
> He is demonstrably a bloody *good* liar..

If he was a bloody good liar, people wouldn't know, because his lies would
never be noticed.

Ian D Henden wrote:
> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>Brimstone wrote:
>>
>>>"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:[email protected]...

>>>That's a very strong accusation to level at someone who is not here to
>>>defend himself (AFAIK). Do you have evidence?

>>Like the time he said he saw no reason ever to raise the "Congestion" Tax
>>from £5? Then put it up to £8 a few months later?
>>
>>The man is a turd.

> But your accusation that he is a terrible liar is not correct.
>
> He is demonstrably a bloody *good* liar..

Does anyone believe him?

JNugent wrote:
> Ekul Namsob wrote:
>> Matt B <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Take a look at this interesting video for an alternative view of the
>>> actual value of traffic lights:
>>> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_YV3Cru7aE>.

>> Would it be worth piloting the use of flashing amber traffic lights in
>> place of red lights?
>>
>> Luke

> No.
>
> It wouldn't cause enough artificial delay (which is one of the big, if
> unspoken, aims of modern traffic engineering policy).

Indeed, they have recently put traffic lights on the Broxden roundabout
at Perth and introduced delays that were never there before. They are
now talking about traffic lights on the Longman roundabout in Inverness,
no doubt the same increase in delays will occur if they do it.

Broxden - Longman must be the largest distance between two consecutive
roundabouts on the same road in the UK - about 130 miles.
--
John Wright

Asperger's – a different way of thinking

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ian D Henden wrote:
>> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:p[email protected]...

[..]

>>>Like the time he said he saw no reason ever to raise the "Congestion" Tax
>>>from £5? Then put it up to £8 a few months later?
>>>
>>>The man is a turd.

>> But your accusation that he is a terrible liar is not correct.
>>
>> He is demonstrably a bloody *good* liar..

> Does anyone believe him?

I suppose all the people who voted for him did.......

Ian D Henden wrote:
> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Ian D Henden wrote:
>>
>>>"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>>news:p[email protected]...

> [..]

>>>But your accusation that he is a terrible liar is not correct.
>>>
>>>He is demonstrably a bloody *good* liar..

>>Does anyone believe him?

> I suppose all the people who voted for him did.......

That's a terrible thing to say. They can't all have been that stupid.
Not all of them.

Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote:
> > Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> You're obviously new here, no one blieves what they post.

> > For me 'here' is uk.rec.cycling.
> >

> Does that imply that everyone in urc only posts what they believe to be
> true?

No.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

In article <1i5pxrt.13bhr1m104putdN%
[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Absolutely. So there need be no more defending of the actions of a
> number of selfish cyclists by claiming that a number of motorists can be
> worse.

However if mice and lions escaped from a zoo into a town centre would it
be wrong to point out to someone complaining about the mice that they
might worry first about the real threat they were facing from the lions
rather than the minuscule risk of their being killed by a mouse?

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

On 9 Oct, 08:13, spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:
> "List all your Cycling Plus and PH sign-on names then "
>
> On Petrolheads I was Martin Crowe but someone called Ted banned me
> from there because he lost the argument. There was no abuse, there was
> nothing remotely anti-motorist.

He was the site owner before he sold it to Haymarket. You were banned
for insulting behaviour.