Re: Cyclist terrorist

Adrian <[email protected]>typed

> Y'mean by cycling with proper lights and reflectors on, so they can be
> seen? You're right. It is reasonable...

Unfortunately, many on uk.rec.cycling will attest that having many
lights and reflectors (often more than those required by law) has failed
to prevent motorists 'not seeing them'.

Properly lit cyclists seem to be involved in as many collisions as
underlit riders.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

On 7 Oct, 21:20, ®i©ardo <[email protected]> wrote:
> Brian Robertson wrote:
> > Sir Jeremy wrote:

> >> Remind us who got hurt?

> > His pride has certainly been hurt. Lost his job and gone to prison. Now
> > that is SO funny.

> > Sorry but I am not willing to enter into a serious debate with someone
> > who is so obviously stupid. To suggest that you have to have an accident
> > for your speed to have been dangerous is just the noncence of a raving
> > imbicile.

> > Brian.

> Is a "noncence" a little nonce?

Didn't Chris Morris persuade some hapless celebrity or other to wear a
T-shirt bearing the slogan "I'm talking nonce-sense" on his Brass Eye
show about paedophilia? Same one, IIRC, that he got someone else to
say that paedophiles are closer, genetically speaking, to crabs than
to humans.

Tom Crispin wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 20:50:27 GMT, ®i©ardo <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Tom Crispin wrote:

>>> But the point is that drivers are far more of a danger to pedestrians.
>>> The fear pedestrains have of cyclists is mostly a perceived danger.

>> No, it's a very real danger. If they don't ride into you they're just as
>> likely to assault you.

> I see. You've had some bad experiences, have you? Care to elaborate
> your tales of woe with cyclists?
>
> I've been hit by a motor vehicle four times, twice as a pedestrian and
> twice as a cyclist.
>
> 1. As a young child, perhaps aged 7, I was hit by a motorist while I
> was playing chicken. I then ran away to avoid getting into trouble
> for playing a stupid game.

So that was the motorist's fault?

> 2. A motorist deliberately rammed me on Gloucester Road, London,
> while I was running after his friend who had just tried to use a
> stolen credit card in the shop where I was manager.

If he'd been on a bloody bike he's have done the same. It was nothing to
do with him being a "motorist". Get real.

> 3. A morotist turned right across my lane into a side road as I was
> cycling normally ahead.
>
> 4. A van driver turned sharply right into me and my bike to reach a
> parking bay on the opposite side of the road just after I had
> overtaken him on the outside in a line of slow moving traffic.
>
> I have never been hit by a cyclist, or indeed asaulted by one.

Difficult to comment on 3 and 4, not having been there!

Let me give just one example of one of the more obnoxious incidents. My
wife used to be a puppy walker for Guide Dogs for the Blind and we took
this particular puppy to a nearby location which was partially
pedestrianised. It still retained pavements, and the road was for the
use of buses and emergency vehicles only, which were only allowed to
travel in one direction.

Whilst walking along with the puppy in the opposite direction to the
flow of any traffic a pair of cyclists, in the "gear" and with helmets
on, decided it would be a good idea to ride up behind us at speed and
see how much noise they could make with their brakes in order to try and
intimidate us into getting out of their way, stopping inches from us and
the dog. When they did this for the fourth or fifth time, by which time
the dog was terrified and my wife was getting very upset, I suggested
that perhaps if they got off their cycles and walked them around us they
could do themselves, and us, a big favour. What a torrent of abuse came
forth from this pair of animals.

I suppose that their intimidation tactics had never been questioned
before. It is rarely I can be bothered to get angry in that, as a
licensee I used to have to deal with aggressive tossers all too
frequently, so I issued a challenge to the pair of them. After some
initial bluster they realized that I did have the potential to be
quietly violent so they beat a hasty retreat, still screaming
obscenities and threats.

Obviously not representative of the cycling majority, but it does leave
a lasting impression. A couple of people in the small crowd that had
gathered said that they frequently had to take their lives in their
hands because of incidents like that.
--
Moving things in still pictures!

I saw cyclists punching a blind guide dog with asthma.

The cyclists punched and punched and laughed as they did it.

Motorists are worse though.

(((Inane made-up cyclaphobic anecdotes welcome here))))

Brian <[email protected]> wrote:

> Same one, IIRC, that he got someone else to
> say that paedophiles are closer, genetically speaking, to crabs than
> to humans.

I hope you're not suggesting that Robertson is a crab. Because I can
hear the scratching of pens dipped in squid ink as hundreds of crabs
write in to complain.

On 7 Oct, 17:12, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Marc Brett <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 02:53:57 -0700, Sir Jeremy <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > >So he's the only victim then?

> > Not at all. We taxpayers have had to pay for his prosecution and his
> > incarceration. Bloody waste of money -- he should be shot and his
> > family forced to pay for the bullet.

> Umm hm, so once again the view of the drooling lycra brigade is that
> someone who hurt no one, should be executed but that a cyclist who
> killed an innocent victim should get a slap on the wrist be and told not
> to do it again?

Did he suggest that? Funny, I can't see that in his post. You're not
making it up, are you?

Personally, I think the cyclist who killed someone while riding on the
pavement should be charged with manslaughter or, at the least, in line
with drivers that kill by dangerous driving (although perhaps the
latter is too lenient). That seems to be the prevailing view here in
ukrc.

Adam...

On 8 Oct, 10:12, Adrian <[email protected]> wrote:

> Y'mean by cycling with proper lights and reflectors on, so they can be
> seen? You're right. It is reasonable...

After many years of reading uk.transport I am convinced it is
safer to cycle at night without lights. The motorists here seem
to be able to spot unlit cyclists from hundreds of miles away.
If OTOH you are lit up like a knocking shop on payday you
become totally invisible.

" You're not making it up, are you? "

Looks like it, same as the lies he told about Chapman and me.

tremendously encouraging, when the resident petrolhead trolls get so
desperate that they INVENT positions to argue against...

Adam-the-Kiwi <[email protected]> wrote:

> You're not making it up, are you?

No, I'm summarising the position of the lycra loons.

You may now get back to your mock outrage.

On 8 Oct, 12:43, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> Adam-the-Kiwi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > You're not making it up, are you?

> No, I'm summarising the position of the lycra loons.
>
> You may now get back to your mock outrage.

And who, where, made any such claims?

Third time of asking, I'm sure you're anxious to dispel the impression
you are giving of being a liar...

Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Disclaimer: I only drool when particularly knackered but I do frequently
> > wear lycra.

> Umm hmm, never understood it myself. Some people must like smelling.

Aside from the fact that I have running water in my house, I also find
that my cycling clothes wick the sweat away from my body, thus keeping
me more comfortable.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote:

> burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > You're just another clever

> I can see why that would arouse your envy.

Steve, you are making a complete prat of yourself here. Please stop, it
doesn't suit you.

cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Tom Crispin <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:51:07 +0100, %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth)
> wrote:
>
> >Tom Crispin <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> It is quite fair to compare the risk of being killed by a cyclist with
> >> the risk of being killed by a motorist, if only to alleviate the
> >> perception of danger from cyclists.

> >Not really, not when such a comparison is used to evade the truth that
> >pavement cyclists are not just an inconvenience but a real danger to
> >pedestrians.

> But the point is that drivers are far more of a danger to pedestrians.
> The fear pedestrains have of cyclists is mostly a perceived danger.

Mostly, maybe, but still a danger. Do I need to remind you of the
cyclist who, by hurtling along the pavement towards my daughter, very
nearly caused her (she's four) to jump out of the cyclist's way into the
busy road?

You need, Tom, to understand that, no matter how many examples you give
of car accidents, pavement cyclists can be a menace. They do law-abiding
cyclists no favours, they do pedestrians no favours and your good
fortune in never having been hit by a cyclist does no more to
demonstrate the safety of pavement cycling than my good fortune in never
having been hit by a motorist. [1]

Cheers,
Luke

[1] Well, apart from the day when I tried overtaking a line of traffic
on the inside without checking for left turn signals.

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> You're just another clever

>> I can see why that would arouse your envy.

> Steve, you are making a complete prat of yourself here. Please stop,
> it doesn't suit you.

He does at least show consistency.

Ekul Namsob <[email protected]> wrote:

> Steve Firth <%steve%@malloc.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > burtthebike <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > You're just another clever

> > I can see why that would arouse your envy.

> Steve, you are making a complete prat of yourself here. Please stop, it
> doesn't suit you.

I'm quite happy to bait the stupid.

spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 8 Oct, 12:43, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> > Adam-the-Kiwi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > You're not making it up, are you?

> > No, I'm summarising the position of the lycra loons.
> >
> > You may now get back to your mock outrage.

> And who, where, made any such claims?

Oh heavens above. Have you already forgotten the posts from lycra loons
that claimed that cyslists are no danger to pedestrians and then
descened to the "tu quoque" of car drivers are worse?

> Third time of asking,

You can ask until you are blue int he face, this is not a court of law.

> I'm sure you're anxious to dispel the impression you are giving of being a
> liar...

I'm sure that you are anxious to stop looking like a pratt with a
desperate need to score silly point, but you give no evidence of such.
And calling people liars because they disagree with you is downright
childish.

"Have you already forgotten the posts from lycra loons
that claimed that cyslists are no danger to pedestrians and then
descened to the "tu quoque" of car drivers are worse? !

And these posters were?

Fourth time.

I'm not calling you a liar cos I disagree with you.

I am calling you a liar cos you keep posting silly lies.

Prove me wrong.

Tell me who made the posts you claim you saw, the ones that back up
your claims.

spindrift wrote:
> "Have you already forgotten the posts from lycra loons
> that claimed that cyslists are no danger to pedestrians and then
> descened to the "tu quoque" of car drivers are worse? !
>
> And these posters were?
>
> Fourth time.
>
> I'm not calling you a liar cos I disagree with you.
>
> I am calling you a liar cos you keep posting silly lies.
>
> Prove me wrong.
>
> Tell me who made the posts you claim you saw, the ones that back up
> your claims.

It would be helpful if you left at least some of the preceeding post to
provide context.

On 8 Oct, 13:34, %[email protected] (Steve Firth) wrote:
> spindrift <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > No, I'm summarising the position of the lycra loons.

> > > You may now get back to your mock outrage.

> > And who, where, made any such claims?

> Oh heavens above. Have you already forgotten the posts from lycra loons
> that claimed that cyslists are no danger to pedestrians and then
> descened to the "tu quoque" of car drivers are worse?
>
> > Third time of asking,

> You can ask until you are blue int he face, this is not a court of law.
>
> > I'm sure you're anxious to dispel the impression you are giving of being a
> > liar...

> I'm sure that you are anxious to stop looking like a pratt with a
> desperate need to score silly point, but you give no evidence of such.
> And calling people liars because they disagree with you is downright
> childish.

That's "prat".

You claimed sentiments exist that back up your claims.

When asked to provide examples you become insulting.

I'm disappointed, yet curiously aroused by your dishonesty.

Response to spindrift:

> I'm disappointed, yet curiously aroused by your dishonesty.

Too much information! Find a room, you two.

--
Mark, UK
"We live off the country: rabbits, deer, a stray hiker or two."