Re: Cyclists Boycott Assos

On Mar 16, 4:09 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <rcousine-E04A03.08554416032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
>  Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > In article <[email protected]>,
> >  Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > In article
> > > <[email protected]>,

> > >    True - for now. It won't be long before he's supporting McCain just like
> > >    he would
> > > any other Republican candidate.

> > >    On the other hand, maybe Bill meant the band Rush...

> > Totally true. Neil Peart was making phone calls in support of Ron Paul.

> > Freewill!

> > Actually, considering how much trouble candidates get in for picking
> > thematically inappropriate theme songs, one of Rush's instrumental works
> > might be a reasonable choice.

> > I wouldn't recommend YYZ, but the 2112 Overture might reinforce the
> > libertarian credentials of any candidate.

>    I'd have to say that if any candidate used a Rush song for their theme music, I'd
> be pretty likely to *not* vote for 'em. I recognize that Rush are good musicians, but
> I don't like their songs.

That's because you live in the safety of the herd. You've never been
cast out or been a misfit -- Subdivisions is best as a metaphor:

----------------------
Subdivisions -- neil peart

Sprawling on the fringes of the city
In geometric order
An insulated border
In between the bright lights
And the far unlit unknown

Growing up it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided
In the mass production zone

Nowhere is the dreamer
Or the misfit so alone

Subdivisions ---
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions ---
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out
Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

Drawn like moths we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

Somewhere out of a memory
Of lighted streets on quiet nights...

----------------------
> Anyway, there's so many Canadian bands that I like better:
> the Guess Who, the Diodes, the Pointed Sticks, DOA, the Subhumans, Personality
> Crisis, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Atomic 7, among others.

Personality Crisis is named after a New York Dolls song, so it is only
nominally Canuckian.

In article <[email protected]>, Kyle Legate <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> I can understand that. But I bet it took a lot of plays of "American
> >> Woman" before that happened...

> > In my role as spokesman for the musical taste of all of Canada (Amit
> > said it was cool), I can tell you we like the Lenny Kravitz version
> > better.
> >

> I always preferred the Butthole Surfers version.

That is a good one. I think their cover of "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is pretty great too.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <rcousine-54ACFF.06402417032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <rcousine-E1F6A0.18561716032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
> > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > The Guess Who? I'll let you in on a secret: thanks to years of
> > > can-con-quota overplaying on radio, nobody in Canada likes them.

> > I can understand that. But I bet it took a lot of plays of "American
> > Woman" before that happened...

> In my role as spokesman for the musical taste of all of Canada (Amit
> said it was cool), I can tell you we like the Lenny Kravitz version
> better.
>
> Which gives you an idea of how much we hate the Guess Who.

Oy, that's a lot of Guess Who hate. Kravitz's version is pretty rank.

> The most horrible thing in my CD colletction is definitely "Tour de
> France."
>
> It's not the Kraftwerk version.

Clue me, then. I gots to know...

--

In article <7c39ca7f-9b99-45c6-ad0b-302bc7a727ef@p73g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
SLAVE of THE STATE <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 16, 4:09 pm, Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> >    I'd have to say that if any candidate used a Rush song for their theme
> > music, I'd be pretty likely to *not* vote for 'em. I recognize that Rush are good
> > musicians, but I don't like their songs.

> That's because you live in the safety of the herd. You've never been
> cast out or been a misfit

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> -- Subdivisions is best as a metaphor:
>
> ----------------------
> Subdivisions -- neil peart
>
> Sprawling on the fringes of the city
> In geometric order
> An insulated border
> In between the bright lights
> And the far unlit unknown
>
> Growing up it all seems so one-sided
> Opinions all provided
> The future pre-decided
> Detached and subdivided
> In the mass production zone
>
> Nowhere is the dreamer
> Or the misfit so alone
>
> Subdivisions ---
> In the high school halls
> In the shopping malls
> Conform or be cast out
> Subdivisions ---
> In the basement bars
> In the backs of cars
> Be cool or be cast out
> Any escape might help to smooth
> The unattractive truth
> But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
> The restless dreams of youth
>
> Drawn like moths we drift into the city
> The timeless old attraction
> Cruising for the action
> Lit up like a firefly
> Just to feel the living night
>
> Some will sell their dreams for small desires
> Or lose the race to rats
> Get caught in ticking traps
> And start to dream of somewhere
> To relax their restless flight
>
> Somewhere out of a memory
> Of lighted streets on quiet nights...

Ehh, just doesn't do anything for me. Metaphorically speaking.

> ----------------------
> > Anyway, there's so many Canadian bands that I like better: the Guess Who,
> > the Diodes, the Pointed Sticks, DOA, the Subhumans, Personality
> > Crisis, Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet, Atomic 7, among others.

> Personality Crisis is named after a New York Dolls song, so it is only
> nominally Canuckian.

Of course that's where the name came from. Plenty of bands with names pilfered
from their root influences. Even though you'd be hard pressed to cite the Dolls as an
influence of PC if you heard them.

--
tanx,
Howard

Whatever happened to
Leon Trotsky?
He got an icepick
That made his ears burn.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

In article <[email protected]>,
Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <rcousine-54ACFF.06402417032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > Howard Kveck <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I can understand that. But I bet it took a lot of plays of "American
> > > Woman" before that happened...

> > In my role as spokesman for the musical taste of all of Canada (Amit
> > said it was cool), I can tell you we like the Lenny Kravitz version
> > better.
> >
> > Which gives you an idea of how much we hate the Guess Who.

> Oy, that's a lot of Guess Who hate. Kravitz's version is pretty rank.
>
> > The most horrible thing in my CD colletction is definitely "Tour de
> > France."
> >
> > It's not the Kraftwerk version.

> Clue me, then. I gots to know...

Muahahaha.

If you live in Fremont, you'll know in a week or so.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Howard Kveck wrote:
>> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>>> The most horrible thing in my CD colletction is definitely "Tour
>>> de France." It's not the Kraftwerk version.

>> Clue me, then. I gots to know...

> Muahahaha.
> If you live in Fremont, you'll know in a week or so.

In my search for knowledge, I came across this:
http://www.spaff.com/poesy/lance.html

But was it John Tesh? Not listed here, though:
http://new.music.yahoo.com/concerts/?location=Fremont,+CA

In article <[email protected]>,
Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > Howard Kveck wrote:
> >>
> >> Clue me, then. I gots to know...

> > Muahahaha.
> > If you live in Fremont, you'll know in a week or so.

> In my search for knowledge, I came across this:
> http://www.spaff.com/poesy/lance.html
>
> But was it John Tesh? Not listed here, though:
> http://new.music.yahoo.com/concerts/?location=Fremont,+CA

Ain't tellin'.

Howard Kveck wrote:
> Ehh, just doesn't do anything for me. Metaphorically speaking.

Because one of their former members is a journalistic hack ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rush_(band)#Former_members

In article <rcousine-2ED828.20114617032008@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Ted van de Weteringe <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> > > Muahahaha.
> > > If you live in Fremont, you'll know in a week or so.

> > In my search for knowledge, I came across this:
> > http://www.spaff.com/poesy/lance.html
> >
> > But was it John Tesh? Not listed here, though:
> > http://new.music.yahoo.com/concerts/?location=Fremont,+CA

> Ain't tellin'.

Wha??? Is zombie Poulidor shuffling into town to wheeze out his cover of
Kraftwerk's TdF?