Re: Dan Heaton's Amazing Jump Analized (pic)

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by uniryder, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. uniryder

    uniryder Guest

    Tags:

  2. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

    I hate to say it but it's been on my mind for some time now.

    I can do that.

    atleast, I think. I've done 32" rolling hops and that car doesn't look
    THAT big.

    The seven pallet jump though is quite a different story. I tip my hat to
    you Dan cause that was some AMAZING stuff!

    --
    Murde Mental - Unicycling Martyr

    "Cyclists of the world unite!
    You have nothing to lose but your other wheel!"

    ~Owen Kirby

    Murde Mental's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4463

  3. uniryder

    uniryder Guest

    the car definitly was not 32". probably more like 30" or less.

    the seven palette hop was actually just a warm up for 8 palettes, which
    i was never able to clear.

    --
    uniryder - SYKOproductions
    uniryder's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/376

  4. 7 pallets is a 'warm up'? dan, you are my hero. it makes my 'warm up'
    52cm hop kinda insignificant. how did you learn to fold your body so
    much? any tips?

    --
    unicyclistjoe - NZ's 2nd Best Trials Unicyclist

    Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  5. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

    Alright I'm just gonna guess that I suck at rolling hops... does anyone
    else find they have to really build their rolling hops up in height, and
    get really warmed up? Like do you guys just go from 52cm warm up to
    trying to go for a 63cm hop? I find I have to go down to like half my
    best and warm up from there :mad:

    --
    Robbie - Street Unicyclist

    [image: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albums/greeny23-900/dr_z.gif]
    Greeny23
    Robbie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5302

  6. hehe i like how precise that is, 52 to 63, i think that i would go up in
    stages, like 52, 55, 60, and then try that annoying 63...which i still
    havent cleared

    --
    unicyclistjoe - NZ's 2nd Best Trials Unicyclist

    Well a MOPED or whatever you call it...yeah good one security

    http://gallery.unicyclist.com/joesphotos
    unicyclistjoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6856

  7. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

  8. pete66

    pete66 Guest

    Yeah I hate it when I "lose" rolling hops... some days I simply CAN'T
    jump up any easy stuff, I get about 2 metres away from the ledge/object
    and it just feels like my pedals are gonna be completely wrong and I get
    psyched out and miss... and then other days I get one or two reasonably
    big ones and then I start landing everything I go for easily.

    I'd be interested to know if Dan's ankles are back to their best and if
    he's ready to hit the big one metre yet?

    --
    pete66 - Level 4 Unicyclist
    pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

  9. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    pete66 wrote:
    > *I'd be interested to know if Dan's ankles are back to their best and
    > if he's ready to hit the big one metre yet? *

    Dan is still healing. From a medical/theraputic/common sense point of
    view, Dan's participation in the Street competition at MUni Weekend was
    a very bad idea. Too much chance of re-injuring his injuries.

    But I could tell it was important to Dan to be a part of it. He was the
    main main inspiration for the event. If Dan Heaton didn't create the
    Street Freestyle concept, I don't know who did. Though others may have
    done similar riding years earlier, through Dan's work on the videos, his
    riding, and the riding of all the others shown, is being exposed all
    over the world, even to non-unicyclists.

    Many people are entering this sport based on what they've seen from Dan
    and Kris Holm. They want to go straight to Street-type activities, even
    there were no competitions for that, and lots of competition events in
    other areas. Many new riders these days are unaware of those other
    areas.

    So Dan, and everyone else who has to wait while their injuries heal, be
    good to yourself so your riding won't be hindered in the long term.

    --
    johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

    John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

    "It's good to find something that makes boys into men and men into boys,
    my opinion is that unicycling fits the bill." -- Lloyd Johnson

    "Read the rules!"
    'IUF Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/)
    'USA Rulebook' (http://www.unicycling.org/usa/competition/)

  10. Robbie

    Robbie Guest

  11. Hey Murde_Mental, I've been thinking the same thing as you. I've done
    over 32", so I figure that ought to be doable for me, although I
    chickened out on a 32" rolling hop at CMW way to many times (I never
    even went for it).

    Also, when I want to do a big rolling hop, I usualy work my way up to it
    from around 28" in 1" increments until it's too intimidating, and then I
    go every 1/2". The 7 pallettes in U2, according to Dan was a bit over
    36". I'm not 100% sure, though.

    Potter: Scine it seems as if noone's answered your question, here's the
    answer: Most people measure their pedals so they KNOW they'll line up.
    The start off at the point of planned takeoff, and roll backwards and
    then ride up and do the hop. There's and example of thei when I jump up
    a 4 set in my gallery.

    --
    gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

    Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
    army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown
    out?

    "Our enemies are innovative and resourceful. They will stop at nothing
    to hurt us and our people, and nethier will we"-Dubya
    Vote Kerry. Yeah, they both suck, but Kerry sucks less.

  12. Murde Mental

    Murde Mental Guest

    If by "chickend out" you mean going back and foward so as to get your
    pedals strait then that doesn't count as chickening out. It would count
    if you decide to jump anyways but bail and just land your foot on the
    table.

    But I haven't been able to practise my rolling hops in weeks GRRR!

    On the bright side my side hops have been catching up to them.

    If you're ever on aim I'll show you some clips from my movie. (of my
    side-hops. I haven't been able to film my rolling-hops.)