Re: difference between ECG and EKG?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by [email protected], Aug 22, 2003.

  1. On 22 Aug 2003 02:27:00 -0700, [email protected] (jimbo) wrote:

    >I was wondering if someone could tell me
    >the difference between a ECG and EKG?
    >
    >I have been told they are the same thing
    >but am unsure? Do they measure the same
    >thing?
    >
    >Thanks, Jimbo

    They are the same. In the UK we call them ECG (electrocardiogram)
    but in the USA and maybe elsewhere they always seem to abbreviate it
    as EKG. Just one of those things. But, naturally, I think the UK way
    makes more sense. There is another one - TOE - trans oesophageal
    echocardiogram. In the USA I believe it is always referred to as TEA
    - trans esophageal echocardiogram but this time its a different
    spelling. Diana - a patient.

    Tags:

  2. Al. Lohse

    Al. Lohse Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > On 22 Aug 2003 02:27:00 -0700, [email protected] (jimbo) wrote:
    >
    > >I was wondering if someone could tell me
    > >the difference between a ECG and EKG?
    > >
    > >I have been told they are the same thing
    > >but am unsure? Do they measure the same
    > >thing?
    > >
    > >Thanks, Jimbo

    > They are the same. In the UK we call them ECG (electrocardiogram)
    > but in the USA and maybe elsewhere they always seem to abbreviate it
    > as EKG. Just one of those things. But, naturally, I think the UK way
    > makes more sense. There is another one - TOE - trans oesophageal
    > echocardiogram. In the USA I believe it is always referred to as TEA
    > - trans esophageal echocardiogram but this time its a different
    > spelling. Diana - a patient.

    In Canada EKG is preferred, I was told,
    because ECG and EEG (Electo Encephalo Gram)
    sound somewhat alike.

    A.L.