Re: Direct challenge to Darren

AE

Guest
Locutus wrote:
> "AE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > LOL! A bully?!?!?! Remember, he bragged to everybody here that he
> > benches about 10% more than his body weight. Hell, Stephen Hawkings can
> > do that! If this clown doesn't keep his pie-hole shut, Darren's Mom
> > might challenge Hulkutus to a bench press contest, and beat him like a
> > rented mule!
> >

> You really don't know much about weight lifting do you? Most people can't
> bench anywhere near their own bodyweight.

True...most people can't...most people are couch potatoes.
You, on the other hand, thumped your chest and BRAGGED that you were
six feet whatever, 230lbs. and benched 250...like that was supposed to
impress us!!!
I weigh almost 100 pounds less than you, yet I bench 225. And when I
went to my first competition, guys in my weight class were WARMING UP
with 195 to 215.
You are an amusing lump of contradictions.

AE wrote:

> True...most people can't...most people are couch potatoes.
> You, on the other hand, thumped your chest and BRAGGED that you were
> six feet whatever, 230lbs. and benched 250...like that was supposed to
> impress us!!!
> I weigh almost 100 pounds less than you, yet I bench 225. And when I
> went to my first competition, guys in my weight class were WARMING UP
> with 195 to 215.
> You are an amusing lump of contradictions.

I've always wondered...is that said just to impress know-nothings, or
is there supposed to be some kind of correlation between body weight
and benching weight?

The most I ever did was 315 and I was actually disappointed since I
weight ~190-5 at the time. What they said was that you weren't really
"strong" unless you were doing twice your own weight!

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1136842807.912011.93990
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> AE wrote:
>>

>> True...most people can't...most people are couch potatoes.
>> You, on the other hand, thumped your chest and BRAGGED that you were
>> six feet whatever, 230lbs. and benched 250...like that was supposed to
>> impress us!!!
>> I weigh almost 100 pounds less than you, yet I bench 225. And when I
>> went to my first competition, guys in my weight class were WARMING UP
>> with 195 to 215.
>> You are an amusing lump of contradictions.

> I've always wondered...is that said just to impress know-nothings, or
> is there supposed to be some kind of correlation between body weight
> and benching weight?
>
> The most I ever did was 315 and I was actually disappointed since I
> weight ~190-5 at the time. What they said was that you weren't really
> "strong" unless you were doing twice your own weight!

There's a correlation but it's not linear. There's an accepted formula for
figuring out equivalents, the name of which I forget.

Hugh

--
Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
chocolate. ("Ladi")

Hugh Beyer wrote:
> "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in news:1136842807.912011.93990
> @g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > AE wrote:
> >>

> >> True...most people can't...most people are couch potatoes.
> >> You, on the other hand, thumped your chest and BRAGGED that you were
> >> six feet whatever, 230lbs. and benched 250...like that was supposed to
> >> impress us!!!
> >> I weigh almost 100 pounds less than you, yet I bench 225. And when I
> >> went to my first competition, guys in my weight class were WARMING UP
> >> with 195 to 215.
> >> You are an amusing lump of contradictions.

> > I've always wondered...is that said just to impress know-nothings, or
> > is there supposed to be some kind of correlation between body weight
> > and benching weight?
> >
> > The most I ever did was 315 and I was actually disappointed since I
> > weight ~190-5 at the time. What they said was that you weren't really
> > "strong" unless you were doing twice your own weight!
> >

> There's a correlation but it's not linear. There's an accepted formula for
> figuring out equivalents, the name of which I forget.
>
> Hugh

It's "Brinks-Mat", or Wilkes-Booth", something like that.

Got it - it's the Wilks formula.

Stephen

> --
> Exercise is a dirty word. Whenever I hear it, I wash my mouth out with
> chocolate. ("Ladi")

"AE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Locutus wrote:
>> "AE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > LOL! A bully?!?!?! Remember, he bragged to everybody here that he
>> > benches about 10% more than his body weight. Hell, Stephen Hawkings can
>> > do that! If this clown doesn't keep his pie-hole shut, Darren's Mom
>> > might challenge Hulkutus to a bench press contest, and beat him like a
>> > rented mule!
>> >

>> You really don't know much about weight lifting do you? Most people can't
>> bench anywhere near their own bodyweight.

> True...most people can't...most people are couch potatoes.
> You, on the other hand, thumped your chest and BRAGGED that you were
> six feet whatever, 230lbs. and benched 250...like that was supposed to
> impress us!!!
> I weigh almost 100 pounds less than you, yet I bench 225. And when I
> went to my first competition, guys in my weight class were WARMING UP
> with 195 to 215.
> You are an amusing lump of contradictions.

How much you weigh has very little to do with how much you can (or should be
able to) lift. I know guys who are 175 and can bench 300, and I know guys
who are 300 and can't bench 100. I wasn't "thumping my chest" or bragging,
I don't really even work out, I'm certainly no bodybuilder. Regardless, when
I posted that it was in response to someone asking if I got my lunch money
stolen in highschool a lot or some such nonsense.

"NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> AE wrote:
>>

>> True...most people can't...most people are couch potatoes.
>> You, on the other hand, thumped your chest and BRAGGED that you were
>> six feet whatever, 230lbs. and benched 250...like that was supposed to
>> impress us!!!
>> I weigh almost 100 pounds less than you, yet I bench 225. And when I
>> went to my first competition, guys in my weight class were WARMING UP
>> with 195 to 215.
>> You are an amusing lump of contradictions.

> I've always wondered...is that said just to impress know-nothings, or
> is there supposed to be some kind of correlation between body weight
> and benching weight?

Exactly, thanks.

AE can now shut his pie hole.