maestro8 said:Really? Then why do disc golf manufacturers produce dozens of models of
discs? Why shouldn't they just produce one driver, one midrange and one
putter?
Why? To sell more discs, silly.
maestro8 said:Discs have ratings for high-speed stability, low-speed stability, speed,
glide / range, turn, fade and break-in period. Discs come in a range of
weights and types of plastics. Discs react differently to varying wind
conditions, different throwing styles (such as forehand, backhand,
overhead, roller...), and different terrain.Yes, throws can vary, but you make it seem as if its a fluke that a
disc ever makes it near a basket. That is simply not the case. Many
players have developed a very consistent throw that delivers deadly
accuracy, and they do so by exploiting the characteristics of their
chosen disc.
Hmmm...yeah, but no, though.
A disc can be specifically designed to hyzer (stable), a lot or a
little, or an-hyzer (unstable) a lot or a little. Then there are a
million discs in between a lot and a little. The fractional
differences between discs are slight, and your throw varies more.
Maybe a few of the very best golfers need a bag of 14 discs, but the
average disc golfer has much more variance in his or her throw, than
the tiny difference between an Innova XCaliber and Destroyer, or
between a Discraft XL and XS.
FWIW, I'm a long-time disc golfer (played my first basket course in
1985), with big (not huge) throws and many aces. When I play with just
3 or 4 discs, (2 drivers - 1 stable, 1 unstable, maybe a roller, and a
midrange/putter) I throw a stroke or two worse, on average, than if I
take my whole bag-full. Lefty, well, then I'm 10 or 12 strokes off my
usual game. 😉
But then, I'm a longer-time ultimate player (1st tourney 1983), so I'm
used to making a single disc do everything.
--
steveyo
steveyo
...like having your own personal rollercoaster...
- a few 'uni race write-ups'
(http://home.nycap.rr.com/rduhan/uni_race_writeups/)
- muni and kokopelli uni 't-shirts, mugs and stickers'
(http://www.cafepress.com/steveyo)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
steveyo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7228
View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/70566
Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.usenet.com