General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Do These Cholesterol readings seem too low

Started by Brad Sheppard · · Last activity · 1 post · 262 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 August 2003
Last activity
11 August 2003
Original author
Brad Sheppard
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
262
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Nope, mine are (on 10 mg Lipitor) chol 139, hdl 59, trig 43.
    Suggestion - the 50 mg naicin is way too low - did you mean 500mg?
    Look up or ask your doc about Niaspan, a prescription variety of
    niacin that causes much less flushing. It will raise your HDL by 30% -
    you may be able to lower your dose of Lipitor. See
    http://www.niaspan.com/ Personally I'm stopping Lipitor and starting
    Niaspan. I'm afraid of muscle problems and memory problems from
    Lipitor. Niaspan also lowers LP(a) - and mine is high. You should
    also ask your doc for a CRP test. Try to lose weight to take pressure
    off your joints.

    "Bill" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I just got back my bloodwork results. Do these Cholesterol readings seem too
    low (or can there be such a thing?)

    Total 134
    HDL 42
    LDL 71
    Triglycerides 156

    As I remember, 6 months and a year ago Total was about 160, HDL about 42, and
    LDL about 95.

    I take 60 MG of Lipitor a day (which I decided on my own to cut back to 40 for
    a couple of weeks) and 50 MG of Niacin every other day. I work out at the gym
    about 5 days a week and I am overweight and have arthritis. I've been having
    some pains lately which I attribute to either the workouts or the arthritis.
    I'm sure the Dr. did the appropriate blood test for muscle problems caused by
    statins, but I wanted to call back and be sure. So, a second question is does
    anyone know what this test is called?

    Thanks.

    Bill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.