Re: Do you check your bike before every ride?

Bruce Edge

Guest
JD wrote:
> "Fred Fragger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <snip DOH>
>
>>Anyway, got me thinking, I clean and lube my bike after every ride (it's
>>only 2 months old :-] ) but I never check all the fixtures and fittings.
>>Guess I need to reconsider my priorities?

> I always check my bikes before heading out and it's saved me getting
> stuck on a trail with a broken down bike many times. I tend to what's
> needed. Knowing your bikes well alleviates any huge checklists. A
> look at it is usually all that's needed. The only thing I do
> regularly is checking for cracks by cleaning the frames with a damp
> rag about once a week.
>
> JD

Funny, I was doing just that last weekend. Found a crack almost all the
way through my swingarm. Hmm, guess that funky shifting while standing
wasn't just a bent hanger after all.

Thank God for friends with loaner bikes.

-Bruce

Bruce Edge <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> JD wrote:
> > "Fred Fragger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > <snip DOH>
> >
> >>Anyway, got me thinking, I clean and lube my bike after every ride (it's
> >>only 2 months old :-] ) but I never check all the fixtures and fittings.
> >>Guess I need to reconsider my priorities?

> > I always check my bikes before heading out and it's saved me getting
> > stuck on a trail with a broken down bike many times. I tend to what's
> > needed. Knowing your bikes well alleviates any huge checklists. A
> > look at it is usually all that's needed. The only thing I do
> > regularly is checking for cracks by cleaning the frames with a damp
> > rag about once a week.
> >
> > JD

> Funny, I was doing just that last weekend. Found a crack almost all the
> way through my swingarm. Hmm, guess that funky shifting while standing
> wasn't just a bent hanger after all.
>
> Thank God for friends with loaner bikes.

No, thank God you had the foresight to clean and inspect your bike
before a catastrophic failure on the trail.

JD