Re: Do you feel intimidated by Traffic? Ole!

Edward Dolan

Guest
"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

[newsgroups trimmed]

[...]

> A bullfighter... yeah, that works. Few drivers have spikes driven into
> their groins to **** them off. Well, none do, but there are always
> thousands of cars on the route, and the odds are a few of them feel a bit
> "bullish." Other odds limit the chance that one of these will be in your
> lane or crossing your path when it matters.

Another Russian roulette player!

> It takes a little bit of psychosis for someone to play chicken with a
> completely defenseless cyclist. Thankfully, very few people are psychotic,
> AND psychotic behind the wheel. The vast majority of motor vehicle versus
> cyclist (as opposed to "person on a bike") are due to errors in judgment
> or inattention, almost always on the part of the driver.

There are millions of very stupid drivers on the roads of the U.S. Any idiot
at all can get a driver's license. I have seen so many cyclists in really
horrible accidents with motor vehicles that I am fearful of riding my bike
on any number of heavily trafficked roads. You NEVER want to be on a two
lane major highway with no shoulder. Damn it, I said NEVER and I meant
NEVER!

> I pick routes with an eye for ample shoulder space. A wide usable shoulder
> is armor for a bike rider. When the shoulder narrows or disappears, I take
> the lane and hammer. It's a little like sidestepping the charging bull.

Very wise of you to pick roads with shoulders upon which to ride.

> I actually prefer a high-traffic, medium to high speed route through town
> with many intersections and driveways. It's the main "cruising" route, in
> fact. It means to me that drivers are always alert. I'm counting on that
> alertness. The judgment errors are just par for the course, and that's
> where the bullfighting comes in.

It is really quite amazing how we count on drivers to watch out for us.
However, I know the world's dumbest driver. Every time he gets behind the
wheel, there is an going to be an accident down the road. Believe me, you do
not want to be anywhere near this dolt when he is driving his car.

A cyclist should always prefer traffic free streets. Even if it means you
have to go slower, you will likely live longer. A cyclist who likes to mix
with traffic is not long for this world.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> [newsgroups trimmed]

Not sufficiently! Who are all you monkeys with keyboards?
> [...]

Read the rec.bicycles FAQ, do what it says, and pick the ONE newsgroup
your "discussion" belongs in.

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> [newsgroups trimmed]
>
> [...]
>
>> A bullfighter... yeah, that works. Few drivers have spikes driven into
>> their groins to **** them off. Well, none do, but there are always
>> thousands of cars on the route, and the odds are a few of them feel a bit
>> "bullish." Other odds limit the chance that one of these will be in your
>> lane or crossing your path when it matters.

> Another Russian roulette player!

http://www.lalatimes.com/weird/index.php?name=mansink0417&PHPSESSID=0030682ebe6b640967ec26b32b631c78

http://makeashorterlink.com/?X53023B8D

(Sinkhole swallows man relaxing in his living room, killing him.)

>> It takes a little bit of psychosis for someone to play chicken with a
>> completely defenseless cyclist. Thankfully, very few people are psychotic,
>> AND psychotic behind the wheel. The vast majority of motor vehicle versus
>> cyclist (as opposed to "person on a bike") are due to errors in judgment
>> or inattention, almost always on the part of the driver.

> There are millions of very stupid drivers on the roads of the U.S. Any idiot
> at all can get a driver's license. I have seen so many cyclists in really
> horrible accidents with motor vehicles that I am fearful of riding my bike
> on any number of heavily trafficked roads. You NEVER want to be on a two
> lane major highway with no shoulder. Damn it, I said NEVER and I meant
> NEVER!

In a race with traffic control, such roads are lovely. :)

>> I pick routes with an eye for ample shoulder space. A wide usable shoulder
>> is armor for a bike rider. When the shoulder narrows or disappears, I take
>> the lane and hammer. It's a little like sidestepping the charging bull.

> Very wise of you to pick roads with shoulders upon which to ride.
>
>> I actually prefer a high-traffic, medium to high speed route through town
>> with many intersections and driveways. It's the main "cruising" route, in
>> fact. It means to me that drivers are always alert. I'm counting on that
>> alertness. The judgment errors are just par for the course, and that's
>> where the bullfighting comes in.

> It is really quite amazing how we count on drivers to watch out for us.
> However, I know the world's dumbest driver. Every time he gets behind the
> wheel, there is an going to be an accident down the road. Believe me, you do
> not want to be anywhere near this dolt when he is driving his car.
>
> A cyclist should always prefer traffic free streets. Even if it means you
> have to go slower, you will likely live longer. A cyclist who likes to mix
> with traffic is not long for this world.

That's the theory, at least. I've been mixing it up with traffic in a
few locales for two decades without a major incident.

I have nothing but contempt and anger for those who betray the
trust by exposing the name of our sources. They are, in my view,
the most insidious of traitors."
George H.W. Bush, April 16, 1999,

Chuck Anderson wrote:
> Edward Dolan wrote:
> > "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > [newsgroups trimmed]
> >

> Not sufficiently! Who are all you monkeys with keyboards?
> > [...]
> >

> Read the rec.bicycles FAQ, do what it says, and pick the ONE newsgroup
> your "discussion" belongs in.

Why don't you tell us where it does NOT belong?

"Chuck Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> [newsgroups trimmed]
>>

> Not sufficiently! Who are all you monkeys with keyboards?
>> [...]
>>

> Read the rec.bicycles FAQ, do what it says, and pick the ONE newsgroup
> your "discussion" belongs in.

Chuck, the message I posted had to do with safety issues in connection with
cycling. Therefore, it can be on all the cycling newsgroups where riding
your bike on the streets and roads applies. However, I do agree with you
that we should not engage in too much cross posting as every newsgroup has
its own culture which differs from the others.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Raptor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Edward Dolan wrote:

[...]
>> A cyclist should always prefer traffic free streets. Even if it means you
>> have to go slower, you will likely live longer. A cyclist who likes to
>> mix with traffic is not long for this world.

> That's the theory, at least. I've been mixing it up with traffic in a few
> locales for two decades without a major incident.

You will always be much safer on a street with little or no traffic than you
will be on a street with lots of traffic. Elementary, my dear Watson!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"Pat in TX" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>>> Read the rec.bicycles FAQ, do what it says, and pick the ONE newsgroup
>>> your "discussion" belongs in.

>> Why don't you tell us where it does NOT belong?

> He wasn't talking to you--he was talking to the idiot troll Ed
> something-or-other which we have all kill-filed.

Pat in TX has never yet been up to speed on anything that is occurring on
any newsgroup, let alone RBM. He should stay in TX and not bother the rest
of us with his insanely stupid messages.