Re: Do you GPS or ordinance map and compass?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Steve Rumsby, Sep 7, 2004.

  1. Steve  Rumsby

    Steve Rumsby Guest

    Tags:

  2. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Steve Rumsby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Roger wrote:
    > > Sounds as though your maths teacher was mixing them up with radians.
    > >

    > Then he wasn't the only one...!
    > http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gradian.html

    Learning about mathematics from Steven Wolfram is like learning about computing
    from Bill Gates. You just have to remember that he developed it all
    singlehanded.
    --
    Mark South, Super Genius: World Citizen, Net Denizen

  3. Roger

    Roger Guest

    The message <[email protected]>
    from "Steve Rumsby" <[email protected]> contains these words:

    > > Sounds as though your maths teacher was mixing them up with radians.
    > >

    > Then he wasn't the only one...!
    > http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gradian.html

    Typical of the Yanks to get their units mixed up. :)

    Anyone found a reference to gradian in an English dictionary (or maths
    book even) rather than an American one.

    Curiously the Shorter Oxford has 'grade' as a 1/90th of a right angle as
    opposed to a 1/100th and an earliest date of 1593.

    --
    Roger Chapman so far this year 39 summits
    New - 22 (Marilyns 8, Sweats 5, Outlying Fells 11)

  4. david mahar

    david mahar Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Roger
    <URL:mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
    > The message <[email protected]>
    > from "Steve Rumsby" <[email protected]> contains these words:
    >
    > > > Sounds as though your maths teacher was mixing them up with radians.
    > > >

    > > Then he wasn't the only one...!
    > > http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gradian.html

    > Typical of the Yanks to get their units mixed up. :)
    >
    > Anyone found a reference to gradian in an English dictionary (or maths
    > book even) rather than an American one.
    >
    > Curiously the Shorter Oxford has 'grade' as a 1/90th of a right angle as
    > opposed to a 1/100th and an earliest date of 1593.

    My Oxford Dictionary shows the use of grade as the 1/90th having been
    introduced in 1511 and the 1/100th introduced in 1801

    and just to bring the whole thing back on topic, the same book defines
    grade as "to lay out (the plan of a country) by degrees of latitude
    and longitude" with a date of 1600

    Dave

    --
    David Mahar david at mahar dot demon dot co dot uk
    Tel: +44 (0)1594 562054