Re: Do you see a connection b/ the generation gap and bikes?

ComandanteBanana

Guest
On May 23, 6:54 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> ComandanteBanana wrote:
> > (Hey, this is getting political, but anyway the solution lies in
> > politics)

> But your posts are less and less relevant to the UK where we're quite
> happy to get involved with pushing the case for cycling without you, so
> I've trimmed uk.rec.cycling form the x-post list.
>
> Lesson #1 for successful revolutions: don't ******** the people you want
> to do the fighting.

Well, first you have to start by telling me that you want to do the
fighting, then I stop the posting. But when you listen to the radio,
you hear the same lies at least 100 times.

By the way, did I ever say George Orwell was my inspiration? The
little animals launch the revolution, but never trust the pigs. So
they are organized around a political platform instead. Something
like...

COMING OUT OF THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote1

Forget about Marx, Lenin, Che or Mao. The next Revolution will be led
by the sardines with no complicated theories and without any need for
big fishes who betray the revolution.

"If there was hope, it must lie in the SARDINES, because only there,
in those swarming disregarded masses, eighty-five per cent of the
population... could the force to destroy the SHARK ever be
generated. ...the SARDINES, if only they could somehow become
conscious of their own strength, would have no need to conspire. They
needed only to rise up and shake themselves like a horse shaking off
flies. If they chose they could blow the SHARK to pieces tomorrow
morning." -George Orwell, "1984"

Well, it's not literally what Orwell said (put the words PROLES and
PARTY in it), but you get the point: THE SARDINES SURE CAN CHALLENGE
THE SHARK!

"The hope lies in the proles," he said in the same book.

ComandanteBanana wrote:

>> But your posts are less and less relevant to the UK where we're quite
>> happy to get involved with pushing the case for cycling without you, so
>> I've trimmed uk.rec.cycling form the x-post list.
>>
>> Lesson #1 for successful revolutions: don't ******** the people you want
>> to do the fighting.

> Well, first you have to start by telling me that you want to do the
> fighting, then I stop the posting.

Okay, re-read what I said: "where we're quite happy to get involved with
pushing the case for cycling without you", so now I've told you (twice
in fact) so it's time for your half of the bargain.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On May 23, 9:55 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
> ComandanteBanana wrote:
> >> But your posts are less and less relevant to the UK where we're quite
> >> happy to get involved with pushing the case for cycling without you, so
> >> I've trimmed uk.rec.cycling form the x-post list.

> >> Lesson #1 for successful revolutions: don't ******** the people you want
> >> to do the fighting.

> > Well, first you have to start by telling me that you want to do the
> > fighting, then I stop the posting.

> Okay, re-read what I said: "where we're quite happy to get involved with
> pushing the case for cycling without you", so now I've told you (twice
> in fact) so it's time for your half of the bargain.

I guess then I would to take my revolution to Haiti or Zimbabwe, where
everything is possible. I think the First World is too fat for it.

Anyway, this is the question I'd put to they young Haitian and
Zimbabweans...

Originally Posted by gcottay
"Uh, what particular voting question do you have in mind?"

My point is that if I were to put biking among the presidential
issues, the younger voters would go for it, while the older ones would
be indifferent to it, and since they represent the overwhelming
majority...

I saw a movie (whose name I regrettably forgot) in which, depending
how you phrase a poll, it's the answer you get.

So if I were to ask,

"Would you like to give priority to bikes on the right lane of
multiple-lane roads, and limit vehicle speed to 20MPH?"

Then you emphasize the fun and sexy factor in bicycling, not the
environmental ones, I bet it would be a big "YES" among young
voters.

"The revolution starts when you ride a bike. You think of it as a
kinder, gentler vehicle that will help keep Peace as well as save the
Environment, and make you Sexy."

http://webspawner.com/users/bananarevolution

ComandanteBanana wrote:
> On May 23, 9:55 am, Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Okay, re-read what I said: "where we're quite happy to get involved with
>> pushing the case for cycling without you", so now I've told you (twice
>> in fact) so it's time for your half of the bargain.

> I guess then I would to take my revolution to Haiti or Zimbabwe, where
> everything is possible. I think the First World is too fat for it.

Well, off you go then.

But before you go (either anyway, or just into my killfile), you may
wish to consider that your modus operandi of being much better at
telling than listening has actively /alienated/ someone who has been a
frequent correspondent with various organisations and politicians
regarding cycle safety, who has been interviewed on live radio
concerning cycle safety, has been invited to peer review an article on
cycling safety for a transport safety journal, who is a qualified cycle
trainer, who leads local cycle rides for the UK's biggest cyclists'
organisation and who has served on work place committees to improve
cycle facilities.

So if you've managed to ******** someone with that list of pro-cycling
brownie points by failing to recognise that folk in the UK have an
entirely different political system which renders a lot of what you say
irrelevant, how do you think you're doing with anyone else on urc?

> Anyway, this is the question I'd put to they young Haitian and
> Zimbabweans...

<snip>
Again, showing yourself to be amazingly out of touch with anyone beyond
your own back yard. Do you really think they don't have more important
things to worry about than how sexy bikes are?

Pete.