Re: Does a 1" carbon fork exist for 47-57mm reach brakes?

David White

Guest
I am not sure what you expect the problem to be with your old brakes. I am no
expert on this so I do not question your concern. Just want to know more about
what you expect might be a problem.

I am sure that most carbon forks would be drilled for recessed, allen head
fittings and that this might seem a problem if your brakes used longer, normal
nutted pivot bolts. If so, Rivendell sells these little plastic adapters for
next to nothing (http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/brakes/15052.html).

David

In article <LTAec.124849$JO3.82254@attbi_s04>, David White
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I am not sure what you expect the problem to be with your old brakes. I am no
> expert on this so I do not question your concern. Just want to know more
> about
> what you expect might be a problem.

<snip>

Oh, it's not a problem with the brakes per se. My present setup (with
the 57mm reach calipers) affords generous tire/caliper clearance. I can
easily mount full fenders with tires up to 700x32c. This is what I'd
like to maintain.

Aesthetics aside, I can always resort to cyclocross forks in
conjunction with canti brakes. Or hunt around for a steel or aluminum
model. IIRC Surly makes a fork that meets my needs

luke

Winwood makes a 1" carbon cyclo-cross fork that does this.
Even has braze-ons for fenders, and you can use pretty much any canti or
v-brake.
This is what I use for my winter ride.

-pete

"Luke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:120420041601102245%[email protected]...
> In article <LTAec.124849$JO3.82254@attbi_s04>, David White
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I am not sure what you expect the problem to be with your old brakes. I

am no
> > expert on this so I do not question your concern. Just want to know more
> > about
> > what you expect might be a problem.
> >

> <snip>
>
> Oh, it's not a problem with the brakes per se. My present setup (with
> the 57mm reach calipers) affords generous tire/caliper clearance. I can
> easily mount full fenders with tires up to 700x32c. This is what I'd
> like to maintain.
>
> Aesthetics aside, I can always resort to cyclocross forks in
> conjunction with canti brakes. Or hunt around for a steel or aluminum
> model. IIRC Surly makes a fork that meets my needs
>
> luke

I've seen such a fork advertised in British mags. They mention they have
clearance for fenders and also have eyelets, so they likely will work with
longer brakes.

Bruce

Luke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<130420040549107050%[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, Pete Grey
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Winwood makes a 1" carbon cyclo-cross fork that does this.
> > Even has braze-ons for fenders, and you can use pretty much any canti or
> > v-brake.
> > This is what I use for my winter ride.

> Winwood. I'll check it out. Thanks
>
> Luke

Check it out right here:
http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&SKU=FK1202
Any US bike shop can order from QBP.

Jeff

Luke wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Pete Grey
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>Winwood makes a 1" carbon cyclo-cross fork that does this.
>>Even has braze-ons for fenders, and you can use pretty much any canti or
>>v-brake.
>>This is what I use for my winter ride.

> Winwood. I'll check it out. Thanks
>
> Luke

There are a number of 1" carbon forks with canti brake mounts. I have
the Winwood fork on my bike and have had significant fork chatter under
braking. It will probably clear up as the rims and brakes wear in, but
just an FYI.

Some other manufacturers are :

http://www.truetemper.com/performance_tubing/cx.html

http://www.advancedcomposites.com/woundup.htm

And in Europe :

http://www.sintema.com/Muddy_Eng.htm

I seem to remember finding some others but I can't remember where.

Pete

Ningi <[email protected]> wrote:

>There are a number of 1" carbon forks with canti brake mounts. I have
>the Winwood fork on my bike and have had significant fork chatter under
>braking. It will probably clear up as the rims and brakes wear in, but
>just an FYI.

I had a couple customers report this as well. As a result, I've taken
the Winwood off the website as an option until I have a chance to test
one out myownself to find out if it's "normal flex" or not (plus, that
gives me an excuse to build myself another bike - whoo hoo!).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame