Re: does lc cause muscle loss

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Joe the Aroma, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. "martin33" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > i started atkins 2 yrs back and weighed 240lbs, lost upto 70 lbs in 6
    > months and maintained it for about a year by gyming regularly. i've
    > now put back about 20lbs in the last 5 months and decided to go back on
    > atkins. the first time round when i lost that much, i did lose all or
    > atleast most of the muscle in my body but i didn't care as long as i
    > was losing the weight and getting into small sizes, a reason for this
    > though could be that because you don't feel hungry and don't consume
    > enought calories. But for the last 1 year i have been doing strict
    > weight training and i do see my upper body shaping up, but the downside
    > is that i have gone up by 4 inches on my tummy (all fat). Does anyone
    > know if you really lose muscle doing atkins even if you take in a lot
    > of protein ???? pls enlighten

    The data I've read seems mixed, but it's definately less than low-fat and
    fasting.

    Tags:

  2. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Joe the Aroma wrote:
    :: "martin33" <[email protected]> wrote in
    :: message news:[email protected]
    :::
    ::: i started atkins 2 yrs back and weighed 240lbs, lost upto 70 lbs in
    ::: 6 months and maintained it for about a year by gyming regularly.
    ::: i've now put back about 20lbs in the last 5 months and decided to
    ::: did lose all or atleast most of the muscle in my body but i didn't
    ::: care as long as i was losing the weight and getting into small
    ::: sizes, a reason for this though could be that because you don't
    ::: feel hungry and don't consume enought calories. But for the last 1
    ::: year i have been doing strict weight training and i do see my upper
    ::: body shaping up, but the downside is that i have gone up by 4
    ::: inches on my tummy (all fat). Does anyone know if you really lose
    ::: muscle doing atkins even if you take in a lot of protein ???? pls
    ::: enlighten
    ::
    :: The data I've read seems mixed, but it's definately less than
    :: low-fat and fasting.

    LC in and of itself doesn't cause muscle loss, period. Weight loss on any
    diet will typically result in some muscle loss.