Re: Does speed of light vary, from fast to slower???

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by David Wright, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. David Wright

    David Wright Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    greatscottskincream.com <[email protected]> wrote:
    >In a given parameter...all things being equal. It has been discovered that
    >light, may in fact, have more than one speed.

    It has a vast number of speeds, depending upon the medium through
    which it is propagating. The usual "speed of light" value refers
    to the speed of light in a vacuum. In any other medium, the speed
    of light is less than in a vacuum. As far as I know, the slowest
    speed of light that anyone has managed thus far is a few hundred miles
    per hour.

    >Today, I have heard, that these men are pursuing the application of two or
    >more light speeds or two or more laser speeds in computer design. It is
    >thought and heard by them, that a new computer design using this 'laser
    >concept' to control the on/off switching that silicon now uses is being
    >developed. Many of the needed patents are already acquired, with only a few
    >left to acquired.

    You may have heard this, but that doesn't mean it's true. And
    patenting something doesn't mean it works. Certainly there is a
    lot of interest in optical computing (and at least as much in
    optical switching), but I don't think it's quite there yet as a
    usable technology. If anyone manages it, though, they'll have
    to go out and buy some railroad cars to hold all their money.

    >The application are staggering. Can you imagine a computer operating at a
    >speed of ten thousand or even thirty thousand times faster than anything
    >today?

    Could this be some weird misinterpretation of quantum computing?
    Also, improved switching speeds don't mean anyone has exceeded c.

    -- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
    were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

    Tags:

  2. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    [email protected] (David Wright) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > greatscottskincream.com <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>In a given parameter...all things being equal. It has been discovered
    >>that light, may in fact, have more than one speed.

    > It has a vast number of speeds, depending upon the medium through
    > which it is propagating. The usual "speed of light" value refers
    > to the speed of light in a vacuum. In any other medium, the speed
    > of light is less than in a vacuum. As far as I know, the slowest
    > speed of light that anyone has managed thus far is a few hundred miles
    > per hour.

    Actually they have slowed light down more than that because of the medium
    through which it was travelling.

    >>Today, I have heard, that these men are pursuing the application of two
    >>or more light speeds or two or more laser speeds in computer design. It
    >>is thought and heard by them, that a new computer design using this
    >>'laser concept' to control the on/off switching that silicon now uses is
    >>being developed. Many of the needed patents are already acquired, with
    >>only a few left to acquired.

    > You may have heard this, but that doesn't mean it's true. And
    > patenting something doesn't mean it works. Certainly there is a
    > lot of interest in optical computing (and at least as much in
    > optical switching), but I don't think it's quite there yet as a
    > usable technology. If anyone manages it, though, they'll have
    > to go out and buy some railroad cars to hold all their money.

    Light or photon computing is old stuff and compared to quantum computing is
    like comparing a pentium to a pile of rocks.

    >>The application are staggering. Can you imagine a computer operating at
    >>a speed of ten thousand or even thirty thousand times faster than
    >>anything today?

    > Could this be some weird misinterpretation of quantum computing?
    > Also, improved switching speeds don't mean anyone has exceeded c.

    To date no one has exceeded 'c' and no one can. Even the warp drive/worm
    hole theory holds that c is a constant.

    Relativistic math can be fun. It is the only place where intuition says
    1+1=2 but reality says w = (u + v)/(1 + uv/c2).

    "I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or
    numbered...My life is my own."

    "I am not a number. I am a free man."
    No. 6