Re: Does speed of light vary, from fast to slower???



D

David Wright

Guest
In article <[email protected]>,
greatscottskincream.com <[email protected]> wrote:
>In a given parameter...all things being equal. It has been discovered that
>light, may in fact, have more than one speed.


It has a vast number of speeds, depending upon the medium through
which it is propagating. The usual "speed of light" value refers
to the speed of light in a vacuum. In any other medium, the speed
of light is less than in a vacuum. As far as I know, the slowest
speed of light that anyone has managed thus far is a few hundred miles
per hour.

>Today, I have heard, that these men are pursuing the application of two or
>more light speeds or two or more laser speeds in computer design. It is
>thought and heard by them, that a new computer design using this 'laser
>concept' to control the on/off switching that silicon now uses is being
>developed. Many of the needed patents are already acquired, with only a few
>left to acquired.


You may have heard this, but that doesn't mean it's true. And
patenting something doesn't mean it works. Certainly there is a
lot of interest in optical computing (and at least as much in
optical switching), but I don't think it's quite there yet as a
usable technology. If anyone manages it, though, they'll have
to go out and buy some railroad cars to hold all their money.

>The application are staggering. Can you imagine a computer operating at a
>speed of ten thousand or even thirty thousand times faster than anything
>today?


Could this be some weird misinterpretation of quantum computing?
Also, improved switching speeds don't mean anyone has exceeded c.

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
These are my opinions only, but they're almost always correct.
"If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)
 
R

Rich Andrews

Guest
[email protected] (David Wright) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> greatscottskincream.com <[email protected]> wrote:
>>In a given parameter...all things being equal. It has been discovered
>>that light, may in fact, have more than one speed.

>
> It has a vast number of speeds, depending upon the medium through
> which it is propagating. The usual "speed of light" value refers
> to the speed of light in a vacuum. In any other medium, the speed
> of light is less than in a vacuum. As far as I know, the slowest
> speed of light that anyone has managed thus far is a few hundred miles
> per hour.


Actually they have slowed light down more than that because of the medium
through which it was travelling.

>
>>Today, I have heard, that these men are pursuing the application of two
>>or more light speeds or two or more laser speeds in computer design. It
>>is thought and heard by them, that a new computer design using this
>>'laser concept' to control the on/off switching that silicon now uses is
>>being developed. Many of the needed patents are already acquired, with
>>only a few left to acquired.

>
> You may have heard this, but that doesn't mean it's true. And
> patenting something doesn't mean it works. Certainly there is a
> lot of interest in optical computing (and at least as much in
> optical switching), but I don't think it's quite there yet as a
> usable technology. If anyone manages it, though, they'll have
> to go out and buy some railroad cars to hold all their money.
>


Light or photon computing is old stuff and compared to quantum computing is
like comparing a pentium to a pile of rocks.


>>The application are staggering. Can you imagine a computer operating at
>>a speed of ten thousand or even thirty thousand times faster than
>>anything today?

>
> Could this be some weird misinterpretation of quantum computing?
> Also, improved switching speeds don't mean anyone has exceeded c.
>


To date no one has exceeded 'c' and no one can. Even the warp drive/worm
hole theory holds that c is a constant.

Relativistic math can be fun. It is the only place where intuition says
1+1=2 but reality says w = (u + v)/(1 + uv/c2).


r


--
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, de-briefed, or
numbered...My life is my own."

"I am not a number. I am a free man."
No. 6