UK and Europe · Public discussion

Re: Don't be Anti, be Pro

Started by Simon Proven · · Last activity · 1 post · 357 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
27 May 2007
Last activity
27 May 2007
Original author
Simon Proven
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
357
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Tony Raven said:

    Simon Proven wrote on 27/05/2007 13:53 +0100:

    Quoted message said:
    Ben C said:

    On 2007-05-26, Simon Proven <[email hidden]> wrote:
    Not much point in a hybrid unless you drive in towns a lot where the
    regenerative braking does save some fuel. But who wants to drive around
    in towns.

    Contrary to this earlier post of yours, hybrids do have benefits on the
    motorway as well because the engine can run on a more efficient fuel
    cycle using the electric motors to buffer power compromises that incurs.
    I get between 55 and 65 mpg from mine on the motorway, depending on
    how heavy the traffic is, for a family sized petrol car. The next
    generation is expected to get over 100mpg.

    Wasn't me who said that, was Ben C. The Prius of course doesn't
    just gain from being a hybrid - a number of other steps have been
    taken in the design. I notice that the Camry hybrid gets nothing
    like as good ratings in the new EPA tests in the USA. I don't know
    if I am willing to wait until late 2008 to replace my car, but I think
    the second hand value of Prius III (I think it's third gen now) cars
    will take a hit if the new model makes a substantial improvement.

    There is the question of whether my mileage/year justifies a hybrid.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Which, in terms of CO2 emissions, due to the higher carbon
    content, *not* as good as doing 45-50mpg in a petrol car.

    It's more complex than that. Diesel is about 15% denser than petrol so
    gives better mpg figures and diesel engines are more efficient than
    petrol ones. OTOH diesel emits more carbon per litre consumed and takes
    25% more oil and creates 17% more CO2 to refine. So overall despite
    apparent greater fuel efficiency diesel in overall terms it is no better
    than petrol.http://www.ucsusa.org/clean_vehicles/fuel_economy/the-diesel-dilemma....

    Interesting - I wasn't aware of the additional manufacturing input.
    It does
    seem like the "advantage" of diesels is a myth. And even modern ones
    I find less pleasant to follow on my bike. 🙁

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.