Re: Donovan - Sit Down and Shut Up

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by rmr, Aug 7, 2005.

  1. rmr

    rmr Guest

    >Indeed, let's repost it, complete with some new material !

    just out of interest are all the debaters involved here from the same
    country? Is this just another example of "two countries divided by a
    common language"?

    FTR I always thought an athlete was someone who played sport at more
    than an mediocre level. To me it implies (cardio) fitness too. A 300lb
    olympic weightlifter wouldn't be an athlete. But then I probably
    associate the word too closely with athletics

    http://www.answers.com/topic/athlete
    This suggestes that my take on the word is more typical of british
    english usage.

    Ray

    Tags:

  2. David

    David Guest

    "rmr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >Indeed, let's repost it, complete with some new material !

    > just out of interest are all the debaters involved here from the same
    > country? Is this just another example of "two countries divided by a
    > common language"?
    >
    > FTR I always thought an athlete was someone who played sport at more
    > than an mediocre level. To me it implies (cardio) fitness too. A 300lb
    > olympic weightlifter wouldn't be an athlete. But then I probably
    > associate the word too closely with athletics
    >
    > http://www.answers.com/topic/athlete
    > This suggestes that my take on the word is more typical of british
    > english usage.
    >
    > Ray

    Ray, according to Donovan's understanding of the meaning of the word, there
    is no attachment to 'achievement' i.e. the person does not need to
    'distinguish' himself in his sport or event. Of course that is ridiculous
    when you take into account the useage of the word all along. I believe he is
    simply using the word 'competitor' synonymously with 'athlete'. You and I
    know there is a big difference between those words.

  3. On 2005-08-07, rmr <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Indeed, let's repost it, complete with some new material !

    > just out of interest are all the debaters involved here from the same
    > country? Is this just another example of "two countries divided by a
    > common language"?
    >
    > FTR I always thought an athlete was someone who played sport at more
    > than an mediocre level. To me it implies (cardio) fitness too. A 300lb
    > olympic weightlifter wouldn't be an athlete. But then I probably
    > associate the word too closely with athletics

    In America, "athletics" us used more broadly. But shotput counts as athletics
    in the british sense too, right (it's a field event) ? So is a shotputter an
    athlete ?

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

  4. rmr

    rmr Guest

    >Ray, according to Donovan's understanding of the meaning of the word, there
    >is no attachment to 'achievement' i.e. the person does not need to
    >'distinguish' himself in his sport or event. Of course that is ridiculous
    >when you take into account the useage of the word all along. I believe he is
    >simply using the word 'competitor' synonymously with 'athlete'. You and I
    >know there is a big difference between those words.

    No need to get so friendly, i'm not taking your side in this
    completely poiintless debate.

    Ray

  5. rmr

    rmr Guest

    >In America, "athletics" us used more broadly. But shotput counts as athletics
    >in the british sense too, right (it's a field event) ? So is a shotputter an
    >athlete ?

    Good question, but it's a pointless debate and I'm not taking sides.
    You must sort this out between yourselves or better yet, drop it.

    Ray

  6. On 2005-08-07, rmr <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>In America, "athletics" us used more broadly. But shotput counts as athletics
    >>in the british sense too, right (it's a field event) ? So is a shotputter an
    >>athlete ?

    > Good question, but it's a pointless debate and I'm not taking sides.

    Fair enough, in fact I'd go so far as to say, a wise choice on your part.

    Have a good weekend.

    Cheers,