Re: Dozy motorists ignorant of speed limit laws.

AndyMorris

Guest
Dave J wrote:

> The small fact that the morons who prosecute for breaking the limit
> 'should have known' that at 4:00 in the morning the road was empty and
> perfectly suited to 50mph is beside the point of course.

make that "the road seemed empty and felt suited to 50 mph"

But of course you have super human powers and know better.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

AndyMorris wrote:

> Dave J wrote:

>> The small fact that the morons who prosecute for breaking the limit
>> 'should have known' that at 4:00 in the morning the road was empty
>> and perfectly suited to 50mph is beside the point of course.

> make that "the road seemed empty and felt suited to 50 mph"

> But of course you have super human powers and know better

....than whom?

A committee of county councillors who have never even seen the road at 4:00
am?

---

"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> AndyMorris wrote:
>
> > Dave J wrote:

> >> The small fact that the morons who prosecute for breaking the limit
> >> 'should have known' that at 4:00 in the morning the road was empty
> >> and perfectly suited to 50mph is beside the point of course.

> > make that "the road seemed empty and felt suited to 50 mph"

> > But of course you have super human powers and know better

> ...than whom?
>
> A committee of county councillors who have never even seen the road at

4:00
> am?

We don't really have the technology yet to have variable speed limits on all
roads.

It would be very dangerous to vary them on the time of day.
Many motorists have considerable difficulties in sticking to limits when
they're fixed; god knows what happen if there was a time factor too.

it would be very dangerous for the other road users if they had to carry and
consult an accurate watch before attempting to use a public highway. (The
fact that there aren't many people and cars at 4am makes it more hazardous
and unexpected when someone other than you is out and about).

Not going as fast as possible, whenever possible won't change the average
journey time very much.

Speed limits are usually recommended by trained and expert traffic officers
in agreement with local residents. Councillors are only the rubber stampers.

I worked for a local authority for many years and a letter from a member of
public was taken very seriously (as the majority of people are too apathetic
to bother writing).

Drop them a line and it will be considered, but probably, the majority won't
agree with you. (Remember, if Councillors are to be re-elected, they have to
do want the majority want).

Paul.

"Paulmouk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Drop them a line and it will be considered, but probably, the majority

won't
> agree with you. (Remember, if Councillors are to be re-elected, they have

> do want the majority want).

Damned nuisance this democracy lark innit?

"Dave J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In MsgID<[email protected]> within
> uk.rec.driving, 'Paulmouk' wrote:
>
> >> A committee of county councillors who have never even seen the road at

> >4:00
> >> am?

> >We don't really have the technology yet to have variable speed limits on

all
> >roads.

> No, but we have the ability, if certain people received brain
> transplants, to do away with mandatory limits, and to merely prosecute
> those seen breaking the *advisory* limits at busy times of day with
> offences of 'driving without due care' up to 'dangerous driving'
> depending on the severity of the incident.
>
> Precedents would be set, and the net result would be that someone
> doing 45 through a 30 zone in the daytime would still (pretty much
> automatically) get the same number of points.
>
> Someone doing 45 at night through the same area would have to
> demonstrate that they had a clear view of both sides of the road, and
> could see it to be safe. In which case they were *not* driving without
> due attention and nor were they driving dangerously.
>
> Eventually, for any given area of road, standards will have evolved,
> and people will know what sentence to expect. People will also learn
> that they can't speed down a road they don't know, because there may
> be hazards the courts see but that they don't.
>
> Of course, this will never happen because the 'powers that be' prefer
> a mechanistic homogenous control mechanism that imposes the same rigid
> limits constantly, with no need for the understandings they are
> incapable of. We're all supposed to be unthinking sheeple.
>
> --
> Dave Johnson - [email protected]

It also is there to control that part of the population who overestimate
their driving capabilities and imagine they know better.

Dave J wrote:

> Of course, this will never happen because the 'powers that be' prefer
> a mechanistic homogenous control mechanism that imposes the same rigid
> limits constantly, with no need for the understandings they are
> incapable of. We're all supposed to be unthinking sheeple.

Also because a significant number of people have speed related accidents each
year that demonstrate that they are incapable of understanding the term
"appropriate speed". With 3,000 people killed in road accidents a year
including 200 children (equivalent to 100 Ian Huntleys a year) and 80% of
drivers thinking they are better than average I would rather there were
uniform rules than trust childrens and peoples lives to the overconfident
idiots out there.

Tony

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:

> Also because a significant number of people have speed related
> accidents each year that demonstrate that they are incapable of
> understanding the term "appropriate speed". With 3,000 people
> killed in road accidents a year including 200 children (equivalent to
> 100 Ian Huntleys a year) and 80% of drivers thinking they are better
> than average I would rather there were uniform rules than trust
> childrens and peoples lives to the overconfident idiots out there.

How many of those are killed in accidents where inappropriate speed above
the posted limit is a factor?

Given that we have 32 million plus licensed drivers, the low accident rate
suggests that most drivers understand the concept of "appropriate speed"
fairly well.

--
http://www.speedlimit.org.uk
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." (William

in message <[email protected]>, Paulmouk
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> AndyMorris wrote:

>> > make that "the road seemed empty and felt suited to 50 mph"
>> > But of course you have super human powers and know better

>> ...than whom?
>>
>> A committee of county councillors who have never even seen the road
>> at 4:00 am?

> It would be very dangerous to vary them on the time of day.
> Many motorists have considerable difficulties in sticking to limits
> when they're fixed; god knows what happen if there was a time factor
> too.
>
> it would be very dangerous for the other road users if they had to
> carry and consult an accurate watch before attempting to use a public
> highway. (The fact that there aren't many people and cars at 4am makes
> it more hazardous and unexpected when someone other than you is out
> and about).

Furthermore, people are just as entitled to be cycling just around the
next bend at 4a.m. as at any other time of day, and you have no way of
knowing that someone is not doing so. You don't have any more right to
put my life at risk at 4a.m. than at 9p.m.

;; Human history becomes more and more a race between
;; education and catastrophe.
H.G. Wells, "The Outline of History"

On Sat, 15 May 2004 14:33:33 +0100, "PeterE"
<peter@xyz_ringtail.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>How many of those are killed in accidents where inappropriate speed above
>the posted limit is a factor?

Interesting question. Given that (a) the chances of survival are over
50% in a crash below 30mph and (b) most pedestrian impact happen in 30
zones, I think the proportion could be quite high.

I was interested in the timing mentioned earlier: 4am. That's just
coming towards the end of the prime time for drink-driving and hitting
the peak for falling asleep at the wheel, isn't it?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

In news:p[email protected],
Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> typed:

> I was interested in the timing mentioned earlier: 4am. That's just
> coming towards the end of the prime time for drink-driving and hitting
> the peak for falling asleep at the wheel, isn't it?

On of the points made in my letter to the Metro sent yesterday. If anyone
reads it could they tell me if it gets published. I think it was well
written even if I was only killing time on the train into town.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:12:15 +0100, "Paulmouk"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"JNugent" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> AndyMorris wrote:

>> > make that "the road seemed empty and felt suited to 50 mph"

>> > But of course you have super human powers and know better

>> ...than whom?
>>
>> A committee of county councillors who have never even seen the road at

>4:00
>> am?

>We don't really have the technology yet to have variable speed limits on all
>roads.
>
>It would be very dangerous to vary them on the time of day.
>Many motorists have considerable difficulties in sticking to limits when
>they're fixed; god knows what happen if there was a time factor too.
>
>it would be very dangerous for the other road users if they had to carry and
>consult an accurate watch before attempting to use a public highway. (The
>fact that there aren't many people and cars at 4am makes it more hazardous
>and unexpected when someone other than you is out and about).
>
>Not going as fast as possible, whenever possible won't change the average
>journey time very much.
>
>Speed limits are usually recommended by trained and expert traffic officers
>in agreement with local residents. Councillors are only the rubber stampers.

I don't think cllrs would like to be referred to as "only the rubber
stampers". They'll take advice from the experts but balance it against
what they being asked for by their electorate.

Reduced speed limits are frequently demanded by residents. If public
demand was the only criteria, the country would have far lower limits
and would be covered in speed cameras and pedestrian crossings. In
reality, budgetary constraints and officer advice means that far fewer
are implemented than are asked for.

>I worked for a local authority for many years and a letter from a member of
>public was taken very seriously (as the majority of people are too apathetic
>to bother writing).
>
>Drop them a line and it will be considered, but probably, the majority won't
>agree with you. (Remember, if Councillors are to be re-elected, they have to
>do want the majority want).

When people whinge about speed cameras on roads with "unfairly low
limits" I point out that anyone can write to/petition the council to
get the limit raised.

You just have to remember that generally, far more people will want a
lower limit than a higher one and councillors will, where possible,
support the majority.

On Sat, 15 May 2004 13:03:02 +0100, Dave J <[email protected]> wrote:

>In MsgID<[email protected]> within
>uk.rec.driving, 'Paulmouk' wrote:
>
>>> A committee of county councillors who have never even seen the road at

>>4:00
>>> am?

>>We don't really have the technology yet to have variable speed limits on all
>>roads.

>No, but we have the ability, if certain people received brain
>transplants, to do away with mandatory limits, and to merely prosecute
>those seen breaking the *advisory* limits at busy times of day with
>offences of 'driving without due care' up to 'dangerous driving'
>depending on the severity of the incident.
>
>Precedents would be set, and the net result would be that someone
>doing 45 through a 30 zone in the daytime would still (pretty much
>automatically) get the same number of points.
>
>Someone doing 45 at night through the same area would have to
>demonstrate that they had a clear view of both sides of the road, and
>could see it to be safe. In which case they were *not* driving without
>due attention and nor were they driving dangerously.

snip

When I was learning to drive I was always told to slow down during
darkness and poor visibility.

Has that advice changed now?

> Someone doing 45 at night through the same area would have to
> demonstrate that they had a clear view of both sides of the road, and
> could see it to be safe. In which case they were *not* driving without
> due attention and nor were they driving dangerously.

Dear Mr. Magistrate,

I did 100 mph though the village because I could see it to be clear and had
good visibility to either side of the road.

Should anyone doubt this, I point them to the undeniable fact that no-one
was killed or had to jump out of the way.

Dave J wrote in news:p[email protected]:

> In MsgID<[email protected]> within uk.rec.driving, 'Tony
> Raven' wrote:
>
>>Dave J wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course, this will never happen because the 'powers that be'
>>> prefer a mechanistic homogenous control mechanism that imposes the
>>> same rigid limits constantly, with no need for the understandings
>>> they are incapable of. We're all supposed to be unthinking sheeple.

>>Also because a significant number of people have speed related
>>accidents each year that demonstrate that they are incapable of
>>understanding the term "appropriate speed".

> So?? Connection?? I was proposing a system that deals directly with
> 'appropriate speed' and punishes those who are incapable of estimating
> it.
>
> The same as now, but with the emphasis on judgement of the dangers
> rather than black and white rules that are tailored for the most
> dangerous time of day and the most inept section of the population.
>
> Explain?

Easy. They already fail to drive at an appropriate speed /within/ the
mandatory speed limit. Take this away and they will drive at an even
greater innapropriate speed.

This whole idea of doing away with speed limits and prosecuting only if
the speed is deemed 'innapropriate' is problematic.

1. 'Innapropriate speed is too ambiguous a term. If there were no
accident (or near accident) then any speed can be deemed appropriate!

2. In the abscence of an accident, it would have to be proven that the
conditions and also the position or presence of other road users was such
that the speed was innapropriate. Because of 1. it is likely that
another road user would have to take avoiding action for a drivers speed
to be innapropriate.

3. The police would not only have to record the speed at which the person
was driving, but also see and record the presence and position of other
road users, their reactions to the 'speeding' car and the visibility that
the driver had. This is before they even pull him over.

4. It would be impossible to enforce in a uniform manner. In the space
of a few minutes the 'appropriate speed' on a road could change from,
say, 20mph to 50mph and the individual judgement of a police officer
would be relied upon. Later the individual judgement of the magistrate
would be needed too.

5. Difference in speeds between traffic on the same road woould be
greater. Drivers unfamiliar with the road would be going much, much
slower than the drivers with knowledge of the road.

6. Currently on a 30 limit we can assume drivers will be travelling at
about 40mph. With the advisory limit they will be travelling in excess
of this.

7. The biggest problem will be selling it to the public. The advantages
will be entire minutes shaved off journeys. The disadvantages will be,
in the absence of draconian and harsh penalties for causing death and
injury, absolute slaughter on the roads.

I have zero faith in the ability of a large proportion of the driving
population to limit their driving to an appropriate speed. This is in
spite of mandatory speed limits. The ridiculous number of fines from
speed cameras indicates that a stupidly huge number are unable to drive
at a suitable speed - they were driving to fast for them to see the 10
foot high bright yellow camera and the forty feet of road markings in the
middle of the road. I cannot imagine them to be able to spot the five
foot high pedestrian with the black coat[1]

[1]Admittedly pedestrians shouldn't cross roads wearing dark clothing,
and must be held at least partly responsible should they be struck whilst
failing to take proper measures to be visible to motorists.[2]

PeterE wrote:

> Given that we have 32 million plus licensed drivers, the low accident rate
> suggests that most drivers understand the concept of "appropriate speed"
> fairly well.

Road traffic is the biggest single cause of death for 12-16 year olds. Recent
DoT figures are that 40% of young teenagers have had a near miss road
accident. c300,000 people were injured in road accidents last year which is
one per hundred of your licensed drivers. Two thirds were on roads with speed
limits below 40mph. 1.4 million people were caught speeding on speed cameras
in 2002. I see no evidence of many drivers understanding the concept of
"appropriate speed".

If there were four child abductions and murders a week the country would be up
in arms with clamour for all sorts of controls - look at Dunblane and Soham
for evidence. Drivers kill on average four children a week and think there
should be less controls not more.

Tony

On Sat, 15 May 2004 13:03:02 +0100, Dave J <[email protected]> wrote
(more or less):

>In MsgID<[email protected]> within
>uk.rec.driving, 'Paulmouk' wrote:

>Someone doing 45 at night through the same area would have to
>demonstrate that they had a clear view of both sides of the road, and
>could see it to be safe. In which case they were *not* driving without
>due attention and nor were they driving dangerously.

Unfortunately, a lot of vehicles causing pedestrian and cyclist deaths
are doing so even at lower speeds when daylight provides excellent
visibility. e.g. the current thread about the cement mixer driving
into a lady cyclist

As we can see, these laws you cite are not being used the way you
propose, and which already seems to have quite a strong agreeing
consensus on u.r.c.

Until we see the laws actually being used as you propose, I think it
very dangerous to slacken off the restrictions on speed in
urban/built-up areas.

--
Cheers,
Euan

On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:34:36 +0100, Dave J <[email protected]> wrote
(more or less):

>In MsgID<[email protected]> within
>uk.rec.driving, 'Simon Brooke' wrote:
>
>>Furthermore, people are just as entitled to be cycling just around the
>>next bend at 4a.m. as at any other time of day, and you have no way of
>>knowing that someone is not doing so. You don't have any more right to
>>put my life at risk at 4a.m. than at 9p.m.

>Except that my idea of safe territory to break the speed 'limit'
>doesn't include blind corners nor roads of insufficient width to pass
>a cyclist.

Yours may not, but you're proposing loosening the limit for /all/
drivers, not just you.

--

Mark Thompson wrote:

> 7. The biggest problem will be selling it to the public. The advantages
> will be entire minutes shaved off journeys. The disadvantages will be,
> in the absence of draconian and harsh penalties for causing death and
> injury, absolute slaughter on the roads.

I guess no speed limits but an automatic mandatory life sentence for being
involved in a fatal or serious injury road accident might work quite well.

Tony

> Convicted. 100mph is enough that structural damage to houses and the
> attendant casualty is a possibility in the event of an accident.
> Obviously dangerous even in the complete absense of pedestrians.
>
> Why choose an example case with such an obvious answer?

Because it is not obvious at all. At 60mph I will still put my car
through the living room wall of a number of houses along the 60 limit
road I'm thinking of, so I'm afraid that the precedent has already been
set. I win the appeal :)

Unless you want everyone to drive at such a speed that in the event of a
burst tyre/whatever no property will be substantially damaged? This is
likely to include cars so that'll limit all roads without a physical
separation between oncoming traffic to around 15-20mph (i.e. 30-40mph
closing speed).

Other things I've though of:

One should also remember that most country roads will have an effective
limit of about 20-40mph, with only the short straights being regarded as
safe enough to raise the speed.

Also, cars with better brakes/lower weight will be able to go faster
(shorter stopping distance).

On Sat, 15 May 2004 18:35:58 +0100, Gawnsoft
<[email protected]>:

>>Except that my idea of safe territory to break the speed 'limit'
>>doesn't include blind corners nor roads of insufficient width to pass
>>a cyclist.

>Yours may not, but you're proposing loosening the limit for /all/
>drivers, not just you.

Only for the 85% of elite drivers, obviously.