Re: Dozy motorists ignorant of speed limit laws.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, May 15, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Dave J wrote:

    > The small fact that the morons who prosecute for breaking the limit
    > 'should have known' that at 4:00 in the morning the road was empty and
    > perfectly suited to 50mph is beside the point of course.

    Too damn right. The morons also prosecute for using a firearm or setting off
    an explosion when they should know there is no-one around to get shot or blown
    up at 4:00 in the morning - save the increasingly rare milkman. Get rid of
    all the laws I say and let everyone use common sense instead.

    Major R Sole

    Tags:

  2. Brimstone

    Brimstone Guest

    "Dave J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > As they should, it's very difficult to gauge the effect of a firearm
    > or an explosion,

    What utter twaddle, have you ever used a firearm or explosives? Hint, don't
    take the door blowing sequence in the "Italian Job" as your sole source of
    information on the latter.

    and there are other reasons for banning them from
    > public places that apply at all times of day. Once again, no
    > connection.

    The public ownership of firearms, without needing a licence, was only
    abolished in the UK relatively recently (1920s). The reason had nothing to
    do with public safety in the usual sense. It had quite a lot to do with the
    government of the day getting concerned that the electorate were about to
    have a different type of election to the usual.

    > >Get rid of
    > >all the laws I say and let everyone use common sense instead.

    > Not quite. Simplify all the laws and find people you trust to
    > interpret them.

    If the laws were sufficiently simple, and phrased in such a manner, why
    would they need interpreting?

  3. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Dave J [email protected] opined the following...
    > Not quite. Simplify all the laws and find people you trust to
    > interpret them.

    And these fine, upstanding, moral, selfless, citizens can be found where
    exactly? The House of Lords? The local 60s council estate? Behind the
    plate glass in the bank?

    Jon

  4. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Dave J [email protected] opined the following...
    > >And these fine, upstanding, moral, selfless, citizens can be found where
    > >exactly?

    > >The House of Lords?

    > Personally I would rather prefer trusting someone from the house of
    > lords than the wealthy business types who happen to 'know' the right
    > people and therefore get made magistrate.

    As apposed to the not so wealthy land-owning types who happened to know
    the right people 10 generations ago and are thus still accorded power?
    The House of Lords included the gentleman responsible for the following
    quote (Taken from the debate over the age of consent for gays)

    "We're talking... <quivers> you understand... <quivers again> about a
    man... putting his... <spat out word> penis... <long quivering pause>
    into another man!!!".

    They may be better than the business types, but they're still
    underqualified for the human race!

    So I repeat the question: Where are you going to find these trustworthy
    individuals who can enforce your law?

    Jon

  5. Conor

    Conor Guest

    In article <1gdu47q.3ghx7s1busjtvN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk>, usenet-
    [email protected] says...
    > Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > "Dave J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]
    > >
    > > > As they should, it's very difficult to gauge the effect of a firearm
    > > > or an explosion,

    > > What utter twaddle, have you ever used a firearm or explosives? Hint, don't
    > > take the door blowing sequence in the "Italian Job" as your sole source of
    > > information on the latter.

    > Jings, the first thing you have said that made any sense.
    >
    > Anyone who thinks that efects of explosives are difficult to gauge has
    > obviously no idea about explosives at all. To give just one example,
    > explosive deformation is routinely used to make high precision
    > components for aerospace. Over and over again.

    And plastic explosives makes a great firelighter. Burns for ages, far
    better than that barbecue lighting crap they sell in Tesco and it
    freaks people out when you set a lump alight especially after you've
    given the "golf ball sized lump lifting a 2 ft square cast iron box
    filled with concrete three feet in the air when you set it off" demo.

    --
    Conor

    If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything
    worthwhile.

  6. Conor

    Conor Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

    > Personally I would rather prefer trusting someone from the house of
    > lords than the wealthy business types who happen to 'know' the right
    > people and therefore get made magistrate.

    So you'd be quite happy trusting a Hereditary peer who may be a crack
    addict? There's several of them.

    --
    Conor

    If you're not on somebody's shit list, you're not doing anything
    worthwhile.

  7. Brimstone

    Brimstone Guest

    Conor wrote:

    > And plastic explosives makes a great firelighter. Burns for ages, far
    > better than that barbecue lighting crap they sell in Tesco and it
    > freaks people out when you set a lump alight especially after you've
    > given the "golf ball sized lump lifting a 2 ft square cast iron box
    > filled with concrete three feet in the air when you set it off" demo.

    ROFL

  8. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 15:20:03 +0100, Conor <[email protected]>
    wrote (more or less):

    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >[email protected] says...
    >
    >> Personally I would rather prefer trusting someone from the house of
    >> lords than the wealthy business types who happen to 'know' the right
    >> people and therefore get made magistrate.
    >>

    >So you'd be quite happy trusting a Hereditary peer who may be a crack
    >addict? There's several of them.

    I don't see that it's significant from trusing an elected member of
    Parliament who's a crack addict. There are several of them, too.

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan