Re: Dozy motorists ignorant of speed limit laws.

Tony Raven

Guest
Dave J wrote:

> The small fact that the morons who prosecute for breaking the limit
> 'should have known' that at 4:00 in the morning the road was empty and
> perfectly suited to 50mph is beside the point of course.

Too damn right. The morons also prosecute for using a firearm or setting off
an explosion when they should know there is no-one around to get shot or blown
up at 4:00 in the morning - save the increasingly rare milkman. Get rid of
all the laws I say and let everyone use common sense instead.

Major R Sole

"Dave J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> As they should, it's very difficult to gauge the effect of a firearm
> or an explosion,

What utter twaddle, have you ever used a firearm or explosives? Hint, don't
take the door blowing sequence in the "Italian Job" as your sole source of
information on the latter.

and there are other reasons for banning them from
> public places that apply at all times of day. Once again, no
> connection.

The public ownership of firearms, without needing a licence, was only
abolished in the UK relatively recently (1920s). The reason had nothing to
do with public safety in the usual sense. It had quite a lot to do with the
government of the day getting concerned that the electorate were about to
have a different type of election to the usual.

> >Get rid of
> >all the laws I say and let everyone use common sense instead.

> Not quite. Simplify all the laws and find people you trust to
> interpret them.

If the laws were sufficiently simple, and phrased in such a manner, why
would they need interpreting?

Dave J [email protected] opined the following...
> Not quite. Simplify all the laws and find people you trust to
> interpret them.

And these fine, upstanding, moral, selfless, citizens can be found where
exactly? The House of Lords? The local 60s council estate? Behind the
plate glass in the bank?

Jon

Dave J [email protected] opined the following...
> >And these fine, upstanding, moral, selfless, citizens can be found where
> >exactly?

> >The House of Lords?

> Personally I would rather prefer trusting someone from the house of
> lords than the wealthy business types who happen to 'know' the right
> people and therefore get made magistrate.

As apposed to the not so wealthy land-owning types who happened to know
the right people 10 generations ago and are thus still accorded power?
The House of Lords included the gentleman responsible for the following
quote (Taken from the debate over the age of consent for gays)

"We're talking... <quivers> you understand... <quivers again> about a
man... putting his... <spat out word> penis... <long quivering pause>
into another man!!!".

They may be better than the business types, but they're still
underqualified for the human race!

So I repeat the question: Where are you going to find these trustworthy
individuals who can enforce your law?

Jon

In article <1gdu47q.3ghx7s1busjtvN%%steve%@malloc.co.uk>, usenet-
[email protected] says...
> Brimstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Dave J" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > > As they should, it's very difficult to gauge the effect of a firearm
> > > or an explosion,

> > What utter twaddle, have you ever used a firearm or explosives? Hint, don't
> > take the door blowing sequence in the "Italian Job" as your sole source of
> > information on the latter.

> Jings, the first thing you have said that made any sense.
>
> Anyone who thinks that efects of explosives are difficult to gauge has
> obviously no idea about explosives at all. To give just one example,
> explosive deformation is routinely used to make high precision
> components for aerospace. Over and over again.

And plastic explosives makes a great firelighter. Burns for ages, far
better than that barbecue lighting **** they sell in Tesco and it
freaks people out when you set a lump alight especially after you've
given the "golf ball sized lump lifting a 2 ft square cast iron box
filled with concrete three feet in the air when you set it off" demo.

--
Conor

If you're not on somebody's **** list, you're not doing anything
worthwhile.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Personally I would rather prefer trusting someone from the house of
> lords than the wealthy business types who happen to 'know' the right
> people and therefore get made magistrate.

So you'd be quite happy trusting a Hereditary peer who may be a crack
addict? There's several of them.

--

Conor wrote:

> And plastic explosives makes a great firelighter. Burns for ages, far
> better than that barbecue lighting **** they sell in Tesco and it
> freaks people out when you set a lump alight especially after you've
> given the "golf ball sized lump lifting a 2 ft square cast iron box
> filled with concrete three feet in the air when you set it off" demo.

ROFL

On Sun, 16 May 2004 15:20:03 +0100, Conor <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>In article <[email protected]>,
>[email protected] says...
>
>> Personally I would rather prefer trusting someone from the house of
>> lords than the wealthy business types who happen to 'know' the right
>> people and therefore get made magistrate.
>>

>So you'd be quite happy trusting a Hereditary peer who may be a crack
>addict? There's several of them.

I don't see that it's significant from trusing an elected member of
Parliament who's a crack addict. There are several of them, too.

--
Cheers,
Euan