Re: dry run to the markets

Tom Sherman

Guest
Bob Cranger wrote:
> Cyclists -
>
> Bike: Sun Retro-Alloy Cruiser. It’s a 3-speed with coaster brakes.
> Today I took a dry run to the grocers and mall where I'll do most of
> my shopping. There is one hill of which I still can’t get to the
> top. I’d like to stand up to pedal, but I’m still quite large and I’m
> afraid my chain will break.
>
> Once I’m able to climb that hill, I’ll install my pannier baskets,
> which weigh about 6 lbs and try a few more dry runs to the stores.
> The baskets will be more or less permanently attached, so I might get
> a used bike for exercise and fun riding. I like the 3-speed but maybe
> I’ll try a 5-speed to get used to the up-to-date bike gears.
>
> There’s another hill right by my house (at the top of the hill)
> Lately I’ve been making it to the top of that one, but by then I’m in
> the lowest gear and I’m almost to a full stop, not to mention out of
> breath. I’d rather not get into that situation while away from
> home.

Does the bicycle have a front brake or can one be fitted? A large rider,
cargo and a steep hill with just a coaster brake is a bad combination
for two reasons. The coaster brake can fade, and even an effective
coaster brake will result in much longer stopping distance than even a
mediocre front brake.