Re: Durable Rims for Road Wheels - Recommendations?

Steve Sr. wrote:
> I am looking to build a set of road wheels and am looking for
> suggestions for suitable rims. Of course, I would like them to be as
> light as possible without sacrificing the durability.
>
> While we all appreciate a litle nostalgia please limit your
> suggestions to rims that are still available.

I suggest the ST17 "Elegant" from DRC, or if you need a more solid rim,
try the ST19. However, for a 700C road wheel suitable for general use,
including fast road riding, dirt tracks and reasonable luggage
carrying, the ST17 is fine.

As an alternative, consider the Ambrosio "Nexus". It has the same ERD
as the Mavic MA2, which might allow you to use your old spokes. Both of
these rims are double eyeletted, available in 36 hole with a silver
finish.

I have built wheels with both of these rims, and the results have been
completely satisfactory.

s.

[email protected] wrote:
> Steve Sr. wrote:
> > I am looking to build a set of road wheels and am looking for
> > suggestions for suitable rims. Of course, I would like them to be as
> > light as possible without sacrificing the durability.
> >
> > While we all appreciate a litle nostalgia please limit your
> > suggestions to rims that are still available.

> I suggest the ST17 "Elegant" from DRC, or if you need a more solid rim,
> try the ST19. However, for a 700C road wheel suitable for general use,
> including fast road riding, dirt tracks and reasonable luggage
> carrying, the ST17 is fine.
>
> As an alternative, consider the Ambrosio "Nexus". It has the same ERD
> as the Mavic MA2, which might allow you to use your old spokes. Both of
> these rims are double eyeletted, available in 36 hole with a silver
> finish.
>
> I have built wheels with both of these rims, and the results have been
> completely satisfactory.
>
> s.

Do you know of an online reseller of the Nexus? I've been looking for
some. FWIU, they actually bought the MA-2 die molds from Mavic, extrude
the stock in France, then ship the stock to Italy where Ambrosio rolls
them. I've got a set (relabelled for US sale as the "Torelli Master")
and they're fine rims.

I'm also a fan of the Ambrosio Excursion, their only other non-machined
road rim.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > Steve Sr. wrote:
> > > I am looking to build a set of road wheels and am looking for
> > > suggestions for suitable rims. Of course, I would like them to be
> > > as light as possible without sacrificing the durability.
> > >
> > > While we all appreciate a litle nostalgia please limit your
> > > suggestions to rims that are still available.

> > I suggest the ST17 "Elegant" from DRC, or if you need a more solid
> > rim, try the ST19. However, for a 700C road wheel suitable for
> > general use, including fast road riding, dirt tracks and reasonable
> > luggage carrying, the ST17 is fine.
> >
> > As an alternative, consider the Ambrosio "Nexus". It has the same
> > ERD as the Mavic MA2, which might allow you to use your old spokes.
> > Both of these rims are double eyeletted, available in 36 hole with
> > a silver finish.
> >
> > I have built wheels with both of these rims, and the results have
> > been completely satisfactory.
> >
> > s.

> Do you know of an online reseller of the Nexus? I've been looking for
> some. FWIU, they actually bought the MA-2 die molds from Mavic,
> extrude the stock in France, then ship the stock to Italy where
> Ambrosio rolls them. I've got a set (relabelled for US sale as the
> "Torelli Master") and they're fine rims.

Hmm. IIRC the Torelli Master rim was not quite the same shape as the
MA2. I haven't seen the Ambrosio Master, but according to their Web
site Hewitt Cycles in the UK sells them (first hit on Google for
"Ambrosio Nexus"):

http://www.hewittcycles.co.uk/

Also Deeside Cycles:

http://deesidecycles.com/info/ambrosio.htm

I think that EuroAsia is the U.S. importer of Ambrosio rims- you could
have your LBS check the catalog for them.